Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't Tesla be wide open to a class action if they do that? It's pretty widely known that the public commitment was that all cars have the HW required to act as robotaxis.

So let's say it turns out the HW3 vehicles are never able to be used as robotaxis. Is Tesla open to a class action lawsuit?

Well, they could try. But Tesla never put any robotaxi promise in writing. They would have to argue that Elon's public pronouncements constitute a verbal contract. And we all know how the courts treat the enforceability of verbal contracts.

Of course, Tesla could continue to say that they believe HW3 robotaxis will happen some day. Then the plaintiffs would also have to argue that the verbal contract contained a time element, which even Elon never stated with certainty.

The class action suit would go nowhere, IMO.

I guess because they offer a level 4 system? They can do things today that Tesla can't. They have jumped through the regulatory hops that Tesla has not. They will offer service in all the top Uber markets before Tesla. The top Uber markets are all the profit.

The only question is when does Waymo take ownership of the purpose built fleet. 6000 or so Uber cars in San Fran in a given day, 100 Waymo at this time. So, it sort of shows you where you need to be to scale but also, realistically how many cars you need to supply the market. Maybe 60k Waymo cars or so to supply the top 10 markets in the USA. Just a guess but I expect that is close enough. That is $3.6 billion in vehicles plus say another billion in facilities, insurance, people. Maybe a billion in charging infrastructure? I have no idea. So $6billion should do it for Waymo to gut Uber and be there before Tesla. I expect Google can find $6 billion
So they will spend $6 billion in order to lose $12 billion? I don't think Google will go for it.

Honestly, we don't know the numbers. But until Waymo says, "We see a clear path to profitability.", there is no point in discussing Waymo as a competitor to Tesla.

Per Elon, FSD is not getting closer. Farther away, in fact.
And thats when I finally give up and put you on ignore, because anyone who thinks FSD is not getting closer is either blind, or a shortseller desperately clinging to alternative reality. There is such a thing as X. Go look at the first 50 FSD 12 videos you find. Then tell yourself its getting further away.
FSD updates now every 10 days, people raving about it, zero-intervention drive numbers skyrocketing. However inconvenient it may be for people who sold or now short the stock, FSD is happening.

So they will spend $6 billion in order to lose $12 billion? I don't think Google will go for it.

Honestly, we don't know the numbers. But until Waymo says, "We see a clear path to profitability.", there is no point in discussing Waymo as a competitor to Tesla.
On the same thread you are claiming Tesla will be saved by RT revenues? Then you say Waymo will lose $12billion. Then you clearly demonstrate that you don't know how Uber makes (barely) money- it's the top markets, the rest of still hemorrhaging. So which is it? Is RT a great business or not?

Google has been overseeing funding of Waymo since day 1 and they have done so very methodically. Now Waymo is valued at well over $30billion and big institutional funds are buying when they sell little slices. Google still owns 90%. I think an IPO would easily give them the capital need to hit all the top Uber markets. That might be news to you, seems that it is. Waymo is not funded by Google anymore and they don't need Googles money. Now that Waymo is in Austin, LA, San Fran, Phoenix and somewhere else I think you'll see the approach of mass commercial launch 2025/26.

Given that you have at least a 2 player market (3 if you include Uber) with superb ability to fund I expect the revenue/mile to be very competitive. Grab as much competitive market as you can. Uber still will compete in the cities where Waymo/Tesla etc don't compete. Rio, Singapore, London, etc.

It's a foolish investor that discounts these realities.

Waymo's technology is the basis of Googles drone delivery startup. FYI. They are double dipping on the technology development costs.

The question is...will Tesla become a competitor to Waymo in RT TaaS? Waymo is the market at the moment.

Legacy auto companies are not really interested in mass manufacturing EVs right now. They can switch at their own pace and they'll delay doing so as much as the market allows them to. Remember that they're essentially assemblers of supplier parts and their negotiating power is incredible. There's nothing to make me think they won't be able to reach Tesla's gross margins on EVs once they are producing sufficient numbers of it.
Not surprising to read this from someone who just joined the forum 3 days ago, but lets just say you should do some research. The idea that 'legacy auto could make a profit on EVs if they felt like it' is just horrendously badly informed. They have a unionized workforce who despise EVs, they have a legacy dealership network that despise EVs, they have no experience of battery manufacturing, they have no experience with software or over-the-air updates or gigacasting or running a charging network, they have legacy factories designed around ICE cars, they have no vertical integration, and their brands are associated with petrol and diesel and emissions cheating scandals.
spoiler: No, they are nowhere close to being competition to Tesla. And the gap is widening rapidly due to progress with FSD, steer by wire, 48v, gigacasting etc.

When GM release a BEV that is cost and performance competitive with Tesla, has FSD12-equivalent capabilities, excellent software, a 5 star safety rating, and can be sold at the same profit margin as Tesla, then I'll care. Until then, they are just an embarrassment.

I forgot to add that I put my deposit down in 2019. Aren’t I ahead of non-Foundation orders in the queue?
Well, I put one down for a Model 3 for Brazil delivery dated April 1, 2016. It was allegedly not a joke. Perhaps I’ll be able to configure prior to the ten year anniversary. It still is there, patently, in my Tesla account.

On the same thread you are claiming Tesla will be saved by RT revenues? Then you say Waymo will lose $12billion. Then you clearly demonstrate that you don't know how Uber makes (barely) money- it's the top markets, the rest of still hemorrhaging. So which is it? Is RT a great business or not?

Google has been overseeing funding of Waymo since day 1 and they have done so very methodically. Now Waymo is valued at well over $30billion and big institutional funds are buying when they sell little slices. Google still owns 90%. I think an IPO would easily give them the capital need to hit all the top Uber markets. That might be news to you, seems that it is. Waymo is not funded by Google anymore and they don't need Googles money. Now that Waymo is in Austin, LA, San Fran, Phoenix and somewhere else I think you'll see the approach of mass commercial launch 2025/26.

Given that you have at least a 2 player market (3 if you include Uber) with superb ability to fund I expect the revenue/mile to be very competitive. Grab as much competitive market as you can. Uber still will compete in the cities where Waymo/Tesla etc don't compete. Rio, Singapore, London, etc.

It's a foolish investor that discounts these realities.

Waymo's technology is the basis of Googles drone delivery startup. FYI. They are double dipping on the technology development costs.
I have made many statements about that Waymo's RT is bad business and have been discussed to the ground. Musk predicted from years ahead thar their style of RT has only one outcome, which is BK. You have to reduce opex and hardware cost. You have to enable all routes, not like a bus type program where it goes to specific routes. To make matter worst, waymo is extremely slow vs uber and cost more. It solves no problems beside "look ma, no hands!"

L5 with cheap easy to manufacture hardware and avalible to the masses for cheap Opex or bust. Musk knows this and it's why he will die on this hill even though Tesla could do what waymo is doing(many companies have done it with way less engineers and resources, it's not difficult besides the actual profitability part).

L5 with cheap easy to manufacture hardware and avalible to the masses for cheap Opex or bust. Musk knows this and it's why he will die on this hill even though Tesla could do what waymo is doing(many companies have done it with way less engineers and resources, it's not difficult besides the actual profitability part).

That's a bit disingenuous in my opinion. What Waymo is doing is very difficult, and it is admittedly impressive. It's just not profitable in any way at all and its also not easily scalable or transferable.

Waymo is doing impressive stuff in autonomy and they should be recognized for that, but it's incredibly limited and nowhere near as efficient as the approach Tesla is taking.

And thats when I finally give up and put you on ignore, because anyone who thinks FSD is not getting closer is either blind, or a shortseller desperately clinging to alternative reality. There is such a thing as X. Go look at the first 50 FSD 12 videos you find. Then tell yourself its getting further away.
FSD updates now every 10 days, people raving about it, zero-intervention drive numbers skyrocketing. However inconvenient it may be for people who sold or now short the stock, FSD is happening.

Uh, if you truly believe this then you aren't paying attention at all. And where in the hell did Elon say FSD is getting farther away from being solved? 🤔

Per usual, reading comprehension seems to be an issue. Didn't want to include the part where I said, "Or the CEO misunderstood the economics of his own product." Hmmm, wonder why?

Much though I enjoy, as an investor, Elon's attitude of focusing purely on the long term and ignoring bumps along the way, I do think in this position that I would put a team on the boring company vegas loop to get it to 100% driverless ASAP. I wonder if they are even running FSD12 on those cars now? It seems like it would be relatively trivial to do, and a good way to shut up some of the less-informed and whiny shortsellers.
But maybe its a deliberate decision NOT to do that? It would lead to press suggesting FSD only works in fixed tunnels? Still it seems like the boring company would love to reduce their labor bill by 90%?

Has anyone else seen this - I haven’t seen it posted.

It comes close to my current sentiments.

That up to now, Tesla has had a “Master Plan” involving more Gigafactories, more models, Semi production and the like. Recently they seem to be “thrashing around” with lack of focus and erratic pricing and policies and layoffs. Not to mention the optics surrounding the battle over Musk’s compensation package, and his controversial political posts on X which have alienated a lot of potential buyers.

As such, I’m no longer buying more shares for the time being. Though not yet so discouraged as to begin selling. Still, if Black and I are feeling this way, no wonder the stock price is falling.

Note: I’m prepared for a torrent of thumbs down - I’ve been getting my fair share lately anyway.

Last edited:
Not surprising to read this from someone who just joined the forum 3 days ago, but lets just say you should do some research. The idea that 'legacy auto could make a profit on EVs if they felt like it' is just horrendously badly informed. They have a unionized workforce who despise EVs, they have a legacy dealership network that despise EVs, they have no experience of battery manufacturing, they have no experience with software or over-the-air updates or gigacasting or running a charging network, they have legacy factories designed around ICE cars, they have no vertical integration, and their brands are associated with petrol and diesel and emissions cheating scandals.
spoiler: No, they are nowhere close to being competition to Tesla. And the gap is widening rapidly due to progress with FSD, steer by wire, 48v, gigacasting etc.

When GM release a BEV that is cost and performance competitive with Tesla, has FSD12-equivalent capabilities, excellent software, a 5 star safety rating, and can be sold at the same profit margin as Tesla, then I'll care. Until then, they are just an embarrassment.
Nice summary, Cliff. It’s good to remind all of us that Tesla is not present at all in a number of major automotive markets, that Tesla is not even well represented in all areas of the US, much less in any other physically large country. The historical model of simultaneously delivering vehicles and Superchargers has worked essentially everywhere, with stores and Service Centers/ remote and mobile usually opened sequentially.

To those unfamiliar all this might well be perceived as ‘hopium’ or worse. These all have helped maintain positive cash flow in times that have bankrupted many less carefully managed companies.

Whatever the problems, market saturation is not one of them. Market staturation in US zip code 94207, probably. Norway postal code 0010 and adjoining, sure. Market saturation is, for Tesla, local. Not even approaching that globally.

But, they say, how about Model Y world’s best selling car, now threatened. Imagine that, all the competitors are distributed in more than 100 countries, Tesla in fewer than 40. There are always naysayers on various subjects but some huge global car markets are not served at all including Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia and others. Most of the large ones in market terms (e.g. Saudi Arabia, Brazil) could easily absorb ~50,000 cars a year of existing models, were there to be supporting infrastructure. Then expanding supporting infrastructure in the US could absorb many more.

Bluntly, the ‘market saturation’ crowd are infpcorrect on the basics. Infrastructure sells cars, especially Tesla. Open stores and service centers, let people see mobile service, and they’ll come. Lest I leave out crucial points: 1) answer local telephones (kill unresponsive automated system); 2) train sales stall and keep them; 3) see point (2) for service, and really deliver and (3) have training professionally delivered for all staff, prospects and customers.

That’s really all. The basics, First Principles! It’s not magic, does not require constant fiddling with prices and returns to the fantastic customer service Tesla once had, but with vastly better scale economics.

Really! There is NO market saturation, just problematic sales and service execution coupled with inadequate distribution.

That's a bit disingenuous in my opinion. What Waymo is doing is very difficult, and it is admittedly impressive. It's just not profitable in any way at all and its also not easily scalable or transferable.

Waymo is doing impressive stuff in autonomy and they should be recognized for that, but it's incredibly limited and nowhere near as efficient as the approach Tesla is taking.
Many big and small companies all around the world have done what waymo have done. The difference is waymo has a bigger budget to lose money so they can "scale" faster. Get the car to drive around predetermined path at low speed and then have remote and physic operators to unstuck the car multiple times a day is not exactly rocket science.

Has anyone else seen this - I haven’t seen it posted.

It comes close to my current sentiments.

That up to now, Tesla has had a “Master Plan” involving more Gigafactories, more models, Semi production and the like. Recently they seem to be “thrashing around” with lack of focus and erratic pricing and policies and layoffs. Not to mention the optics surrounding the battle over Musk’s compensation package.

As such, I’m no longer buying more shares for the time being. Though not yet so discouraged as to begin selling. Still, if Black and I are feeling this way, no wonder the stock price is falling.

Note: I’m prepared for a torrent of thumbs down - I’ve been getting my fair share lately anyway.
Yeah, Tesla was never an easy company to own. Shareholders who lack understanding will start making up stuff in their head. He and you are not the only one who believes Musk has abandoned everything they have worked on since battery day where moving tonnage is the main mission. All because "people familiar with the matter" is creating a new narrative now that fsd became so good for Musk to abandon everything(while he is the only crazy nut who believes it's that good).

The truth is, nothing has changed, everything is moving forward according to plan. Everyone really wants Elon to show off a 25k car so badly right now without thinking what that will do to the demand of current line up which is hitting max demand. So since Musk is not allowing it to happen, the narrative must be that he went RT crazy and told his team to abandon it.

This is why 99.9% of shareholders who are quarter backing what Tesla should do will bankrupt Tesla instantly. They just care about short term stock movement and equate that to doing good business vs actually having to juggle everything of a real business.

I forgot to add that I put my deposit down in 2019. Aren’t I ahead of non-Foundation orders in the queue?
Yeah, so did I (first hour, sub 50k reservation number) and lots of others. And now I'm waiting on my ordered Foundation Cyberbeast (with long term shareholder boost for whatever that's worth)