Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's not fair, but I want to come back to the FSD price drop discussion. I've completely overseen that you can't buy EAP in the US any more and FSD is the only option available. Did that happen together with the price drop?
What a bullish move!

Again my favorite Radio station at the moment: Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg plans to release 400 jobs according to Tesla

Happy ER!

Wow…tensions are high. The reality is times are tough here, and human nature is to blame something or someone. The reality is no ONE thing or ONE person is to blame, and nobody here or elsewhere knows where the stock is headed.
Disagree, I am entirely to blame for my current position.

Looked at one way, I rode the train to the ATH through no efforts of my own and then rode it right back down again (with ups and downs on the way). I've only lost what I barely earned/ had claim to and am still better off than when I started.

Looked at another way, I won the lottery and used it all to buy TSLA at ATH (tax deferred accounts, so I can't even use that as an excuse). Still better off than before winning, but one might reasonably ask themselves, "What was I thinking?"

They start at $38,990 now, which adjusted for inflation would be very close to that original $35k goal.

I wonder if the path to a $25k Tesla might not be via a trimmed-down Model 3. With more efficient production and economies of scale, a smaller battery and combined with government point-of-sale credits, it doesn’t seem like a pipe dream.
Might be possible if the Model 3 was FSD, no more steering wheel, mirrors, controls... needed.

A few weeks ago I said I was disappointed with the low number of Teslas in Italy, but after three weeks in Milan I can say they are everywhere. It’s hard to not see one no matter where you look

I’m staying quite far away from the city center, but still see all the time, just today as I opened my window in the morning a Model 3 passed, followed by a Y

Will Tesla take liability if it’s possible to set up any scenario where FSD will consistently fail?

Some situations can happen very rarely but when you’re running a fleet of millions of vehicles racking up billions of miles, the system will increasingly encounter rare situations potentially resulting in bad things could lead to disastrous liability.

These tests might be relevant because liability for a generalized Robotaxi might not be taken until there is basically no fallibility, it’s like running the system through a series of worst-case scenarios. If you’re in the business of managing risk, that’s a prudent and necessary thing to do.
Dan's scenario is not realistic like throwing a cat height object in front of fast moving car 2 seconds before impact where most humans would create a road kill.

C
Fair enough, but I find every few people (including myself at times) who have money table for short term results are able to separate themselves from their positions and be totaly objective, if you can do that then hats off.
After too many years as an investor I have tried things that ‘should’ work and do work…until they don’t. The deeply analytic approaches are all fundamentally schochastic, so use historical patterns to forecast the future. Highly capable people have made fortunes, and many of the same people have lost them.

HODL at it is. Now called also works, and with enough diligence does so long term. Still, there are limits to that too, recognizing when fundamentals change is a critical component of this one.

On this thread we have a soupçon of all available approaches with reporting biased towards reporting success rather than failure.
I continue to learn from the thread. I miss quite a number of formerly prolific posters from whom I learned important things. I won’t list them all. We do need more seriously analytic perspective, more people well-versed in The Scientific Method, which is described cryptically by Mr Musk as First Principles.

Were we to have more serious analytics we might have:
1. More of the solid scientific education that enables understanding of such things as the Octovalve (it took an expert in fluid dynamics at Lawrence Livermore to explain that one correctly), an Inconel alloy from SpaceX that enabled Ludicrous ( took a metallurgist to explain that one in clear terms) , The GigaPress, practical use of which required several arcane specialties combined. And so on….

Not too long ago we had genuine expertise on these subjects and many more. Much of that has drifted elsewhere as we have here gradually drifted into populist ideology, speculations not based on fact and regular mod intervention due to such digressions.

Every one of us should know that there is widespread use of generative AI tools and highly capable FUD generated to help suppress critical thinking. All of us should be trying to better infirm ourselves of those risks.

We desperately need more well informed critical opinion that helps us inform our own views.

Whether Bull or Bear, superficiality is the enemy of knowledge. Diligent study and analysis leads to better decisions, including identifying what some investors call ‘trigger points’ which are specific events that generate immediate deeper review and analysis of historical metrics use to justify actions.

Here, we can all benefit when we retain such rigorous standards. When we ignore them we are just gambling without the benefit of ‘house’ information.

Disagree, I am entirely to blame for my current position.

Looked at one way, I rode the train to the ATH through no efforts of my own and then rode it right back down again (with ups and downs on the way). I've only lost what I barely earned/ had claim to and am still better off than when I started.

Looked at another way, I won the lottery and used it all to buy TSLA at ATH (tax deferred accounts, so I can't even use that as an excuse). Still better off than before winning, but one might reasonably ask themselves, "What was I thinking?"
From time to time @mongo sets us all straight with few words. This is such a post. It has, in my opinion, Particular Merit.

Last edited:
one might reasonably ask themselves, "What was I thinking?"

Uh, you were thinking long-term? We've known shorts intended to do this since early December 2023, when Toni Scaramouche announced his best idea for 2024 was "short Tesla". Never doubt that this 2024 drop was engineered, pre-planned, and pre-meditated (eco-terrorists my ass).

And now, TSLA is sitting at two standard deviations below it's mean ranking since inclusion in the S&P 500. This is well into oversold territory, as Tom Nash explains in his video yesterday: (the good stuff is all in the first 3 minutes)

Want to know the bright side? Shorts actually don't want to kill the company. That would be like killing the golden 🦆. What they do want you to do is buy high and sell low. That's how they make money on the churn, and that's why they will let it go back up once they filled their boots.

That's why hodl is it best strategy for retail investors to beat Wall Street. Time is on our side. Paging @Hock1 for the color. This is not our first rodeo.

Cheers to the longs!

Last edited:
More motivation with a friendly reminder to vote your shares:

Just a friendly reminder that the Delaware chancery court effectively has more corporate voting power than millions of $TSLA shareholders.

This was a huge slap in the face for all of us who have worked our entire lives to earn this voting power. I worked 15 years to acquire these shares, so I shouldn’t have my voice silenced like this. This voting power was stolen from us. It’s as undemocratic as it gets.

Maybe I missed it, article is a day old.

Integration of Baidu maps in Tesla’s in China which may be a precursor to FSD roll out.

Uh, you were thinking long-term?
Whose long term, mine or Tesla's?
That's why hodl is it best strategy for retail investors to beat Wall Street.
Holding is continually choosing to buy the stock at the price it is with the money you have. The line you quoted was from my analogy of taking lottery winnings and putting it all in TSLA at the ATH, which is functionality equivalent to holding at the ATH.

All I needed to do to be set for life (my long term) was not HODL (Tesla's long term) and just walk away. That would have been best (for me fiscally). Now I'm looking at 1/2 of triple of 1/4 of what the portfolio was, contemplating when/ if it might ever get there again and for why? Churn != return. Pain != gain.

We've known shorts intended to do this since early December 2023, when Toni Scaramouche announced his best idea for 2024 was "short Tesla". Never doubt that this 2024 drop was engineered, pre-planned, and pre-meditated (eco-terrorists my ass).
If one knows a drop is coming, and is dealing with tax deferred accounts, then why hold? To be 'seen' as a good supporter? If in a taxed account there is a minimum drop required to breakeven on exit/reenter, but even then what were the investor's personal goals?

Sure, it will likely rise again, but 3 birds in the hand is better than one in the hand and 2 in the bush (that used to be in the hand). One should be willing to say to themselves, "this amount is enough." Unless, somehow, me owning a miniscule piece of a multi-hundred-billion dollar multinational corporation is the one thing keeping it from collapsing, in which case there is a point to it.

Happy earnings report day everyone.

Remember, no matter how bad this afternoon ends up being, FSD is improving rapidly and Optimus is making great progress. Many years from now this terrible Q1 2024 will be but a pothole in the road far behind us.

Today we are somewhere in the water under this boat, but that checkered flag is still ahead of TSLA:

Qr9ls66.jpg

Check out my username on reddit. Go back 2019-2020. You'll see me fighting the RealTesla crowd. But the expectations on a company worth 50B are totally different to a company worth 450B, highest in its industry by a long margin. Look, I get it. Investments are emotional and tbf, I really like Tesla, the company. I don't mind Elon either, I think he's an interesting character and what he has achieved leading companies at the forefront of so many fields is nothing short of extraordinary. But investing is not Patreon, you're not paying money to support someone's efforts. I don't mind the 'ad hominem' attacks, as long as the messages have some strong and realistic arguments attached to them about how Tesla is going to increase their revenue and profits in the next 5-10 years.

You have an account a couple of days old, pushing the negative, shortly after a couple of consistent trolls were banned. Trolls who were already suspected of having come back from the dead before. It looked suspicious. You fit the profile. If that is not the case, then apologies for the statement you quoted are proffered.

If your expectations for a company are based entirely on market cap, rather than the company's foundation, history, and ongoing projects, I can see how you might have developed a poor outlook. If so, and you came here for better understanding, fine. Consider what you have been offered and give it time to sink in, rather than attempting to convince people here that Tesla is less because of macro factors. It comes off as short-sighted to anyone who has been through a few ups and downs with TSLA.

As I mentioned elsewhere, China and the EU are in economic recession, and the US is experiencing economic uncertainty. Many people worldwide will put off buying a car when times are sketchy. This is a macro factor and will pass. It has nothing to do with the companies it affects.

However, Tesla also has long-term energy storage projects to serve which have ordered Megapacks that will provide residual revenue. This business is growing, and is expected to eclipse the auto business.

AI is making progress in leaps and bounds, and is expected to eclipse the auto business.

Keep in mind how there is some advantage in holding a diversified company with a solid balance sheet in times like these, over one that has a single profit stream.

It takes more effort to balance the bad with the good and doing so will reveal aspects which emotionally driven perspectives will not.

No offense, but I know what's being said. Not just a car company etc etc. I was an investor back in 2019-2021, now I'm shorting the stock.

So, you ARE a trader, posting in an investor forum.

Thanks for making this clear.

EDIT: To be crystalline, when a short seller comes to an investor forum to trash talk the investment, they are TROLLing, hoping to get people to sell so they may profit.

Posting in the "Be the House" thread (aka The Wheel) where the options folks discuss strategies might be more appropriate.

Last edited:
yes, some of them, but I don‘t know either how to vote
I just called them. They will create a "Confirmation of holding" for me now, it should be in the account in 2 days. They couldn't say for sure if I'll be able to vote with this confirmation, however, and if so, how.
Just to assure you guys: I will absolutely 100% vote PRO the comp package!

You have an account a couple of days old, pushing the negative, shortly after a couple of consistent trolls were banned. Trolls who were already suspected of having come back from the dead before. It looked suspicious. You fit the profile. If that is not the case, then apologies.

No need to apologize. You stated the obvious. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a 🦆 but posts like a 🧌, then what the duck?

Cheers!

Last edited: