Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gas in not subsidized at least in Europe. In fact, it's taxed quite heavily. It's that externalities are not priced in correctly or at all. So it should be much more expensive in reality.
I'm disagreeing with you on this, because in The Netherlands, fossil fuels are heavily subsidised. The government even calculated it themselves. Source, major independent news organisation from The Netherlands: Fossiele sector krijgt tussen 39,7 en 46,4 miljard euro subsidie, nog meer dan gedacht

Most of the demos/prototypes are always done with a bit of creativity, including Steve Jobs with the iPhone. The Model S prototype was barely working and based off a Mercedes CLS body with the hood being secured with magnets! (all very well documented in print & video). It doesn’t mean that It is fake and the real product won’t exist in the future. That’s why I didn’t understand the Teslemming outrage over Nikola truck prototype. I felt like these people didn’t understand their own company’s history.

.. while being chased by a shorty nutcase
The thing with Nikola is that the Ceo said the truck in the video and on stage was NOT a pusher. This is when he commited a crime.

You can withhold facts all you want. You don't have to volunteer any specifics, but the minute you knowingly having the intent to deceive with straight up lies, this is when you commit security fraud.

I'm disagreeing with you on this, because in The Netherlands, fossil fuels are heavily subsidised. The government even calculated it themselves. Source, major independent news organisation from The Netherlands: Fossiele sector krijgt tussen 39,7 en 46,4 miljard euro subsidie, nog meer dan gedacht
I was obviously talking about the gas at the gas pump for cars. Not about tax breaks for kerosine for airlines. And not subs for garden houses or road tax for old timers or coal mines. Obviously. And nothing else is mentioned in your report.

Elon's layoffs, as announced, decimated the ranks of Tesla employees. Literally as defined.

What, because the Reduction In Force started at 10% and has since increased a few percent it is not appropriate?

That is a lot closer to spot-on and accurate nomenclature than most times that word is used, isn't it? 🤔
Sure, over all of Tesla it was 1 in 10. However, the post was in response to its use referring specifically to the 500 person cut in Supercharging. Unless you think that group had 5,000 people initially...
Whichever way I look at it and work through 15 different scenarios in my mind, I can't find any reasonable justification to decimate the team that is responsible for the most admired, most loved, key differentiator and most useful capability in Tesla by a mile, which is perhaps responsible for majority of their sales - Supercharging.

PS: I don't think they have the same neural net being trained to do all tasks.

This neural net is running entirely end-to-end, meaning that it only consumes video coming from the bot’s 2D cameras, as well as on-board proprioceptive sensors, and produces joints control sequences directly. It runs entirely on the bot’s embedded FSD computer, powered by the on-board battery. It is designed such that a single neural net can perform multiple tasks as we add more diverse data to the training process.

TSLA up 0.5 % rise to 185.29. Stock keeps rising overseas, corrects in the day over here.

When will America also like Tesla?

Meanwhile, Buffet is worried about a potential reduction in car accidents?
Should we also worry that hospitals could lose customers? Oh definitely avoid Mortuary stocks.

Humans - where is the love?

I’m currently on holiday in France and I was surprised that practically every big grocery shop has at least a couple of fast chargers. Quite the change since our last holiday in France.
I stumbled on this X post with an overview of the fast charging market in France.
Tesla is still the biggest one in terms of chargers, but not in the top 5 in terms of sites. A few years ago Tesla was practically the only fast charging provider in France. A couple of years ago Ionity was the main competition, but Ionity is not in the top 5 for neither chargers or sites. Grocery shop Lidl also seems to have very competitive prices.
Conclusion: In France, Tesla Supercharging is not a moat anymore, and just one of the bigger fast charge providers:

Is that a new video? The account seems to have only posted that and nothing else.

In the comments someone says that the a Semi with the same licence plate was in the hands of another company a while ago. That would suggest that it might be news that Costco is testing it (and possibly a new video), but it would not be a recently produced semi.

IMHO it is more important that Costco can get some driving time on the semi which might help with sales once production is up, while it is not significant whether they produced one more or less at the moment.

I’m currently on holiday in France and I was surprised that practically every big grocery shop has at least a couple of fast chargers. Quite the change since our last holiday in France.
I stumbled on this X post with an overview of the fast charging market in France.
Tesla is still the biggest one in terms of chargers, but not in the top 5 in terms of sites. A few years ago Tesla was practically the only fast charging provider in France. A couple of years ago Ionity was the main competition, but Ionity is not in the top 5 for neither chargers or sites. Grocery shop Lidl also seems to have very competitive prices.
Conclusion: In France, Tesla Supercharging is not a moat anymore, and just one of the bigger fast charge providers:
Very smart by LIDL, this probably boosts their sales too.

This makes it even more clear that nobody can possibly compete. Its bad enough that you need terrabytes of specially collected video footage to even train reasonable FSD, but if the last 1% of perfection can only use a trivial percentage of that data, then its even more essential that you have it.
Unless another company sells >1 million EVs with over-the-air video data collection and builds up $10billion in computing and networking infrastructure to support it, then they absolutely will not be able to offer FSD.
Tesla could absolutely screw every dollar out of FSD licensing deals with other companies, and there is nothing they can do about it.

^China sales

April EU sales do not look good. Down QoQ and YoY.

This neural net is running entirely end-to-end, meaning that it only consumes video coming from the bot’s 2D cameras, as well as on-board proprioceptive sensors, and produces joints control sequences directly. It runs entirely on the bot’s embedded FSD computer, powered by the on-board battery. It is designed such that a single neural net can perform multiple tasks as we add more diverse data to the training process.

Thanks! There's a nuance in there: "Multiple tasks", not "all tasks". But it's better than I expected and wouldn't consider it a major problem. I think the major problems with all humanoid robots are:
1. If the task is supposed to take 100% of the bot's time, then there's a decent chance that designing a much simpler dedicated robot is better value.
2. Upfront and running costs. There is no indication right now on maintenance required for such a bot. Judging by the complexity of the engineering, it won't be very low.
3. There doesn't seem to be a moat. Basically everyone is demo-ing the same things, suggesting that there won't be a clear winner and more likely margins won't be amazing. The biggest losers seem to be BD who are seeing their dynamic body control algorithms obliterated with NN.

Last edited: