Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, over all of Tesla it was 1 in 10. However, the post was in response to its use referring specifically to the 500 person cut in Supercharging. Unless you think that group had 5,000 people initially...

Do you know with any degree of certainty that 500 wasn't also 1 in 10 for this group?

I can see how a more narrow focus could see it the way you presented it. However, with no idea what percentage of the whole Supercharger group that 500 would be, I wouldn't have enough data to make the connection between "deci" and that percentage.

Though, it wouldn't surprise me one whit if, worldwide, there were 5000 or more people in the overall Supercharger group. If it were found to be true that including all aspects of Supercharger operation (planning, permitting, installation, service, manufacturing) across several continents the "deci" connection might actually be valid when applied there as well.

Anyway, the statement was about the funny coincidence based upon how the layoff was stated as being 10%. The number that everyone was familiar with being a known reference point. Either way, those 500 were part of that 10% which Elon had said would be laid off.

Reactions: Spacep0d
I don't think it's valid to compare a solution that's currently level 4 with one that's level 2, but which promises to jump straight to level 5. Promises are cheap. Also, without knowing Waymo's algorithms in detail, nobody can say how specialized / how much high definition mapping their solution needs. It's virtually impossible to say how a Waymo would behave if taken outside of its geographical limits and how many miles it would do before critical disengagements.
It's not impossible. The answer is that if taken outside of its geographical limits it would do zero miles.

Reactions: Stormy24
We've also gone over the fact comparing Waymo's "on rails" solution to Tesla's "go anywhere" solution is comparing apples to oranges, yet here we are.
To add to this, current FSD 12.3.x is not feature complete since for example reversing/switching gears is not in the set of possible actions FSD can perform.

In a few months this will be included (if we can believe Ashok/Elon tweets) which will adress many interventions due to the car getting "stuck" after being unable to complete a certain turn due to lack of space.

Once FSD is "feature complete" (i.e. from door to door or parking space to parking space, including reversing) it is more reasonable to compare with Waymo and the like (except that FSD is general versus the mapped areas).

Regarding the intervention rate, I'm curious why Tesla's intervention data seems so out of touch with the loud voices on X.com/TMC stating otherwise.

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the general happy impressed customer is less likely to express an opinion online versus the unhappy users.
Also when I see some critiques regarding say AI Driver videos, the negative comments are often nitpicky and not critical for FSD to work. (So many comments regarding the system being too slow. I'd say better safe than sorry. When you're a passenger you won't mind the 1 minute added to your trip versus being scared ****less in a racing FSD-car.)

/endofrant. FSD is making steady improvements.

Do you know with any degree of certainty that 500 wasn't also 1 in 10 for this group?

I can see how a more narrow focus could see it the way you presented it. However, with no idea what percentage of the whole Supercharger group that 500 would be, I wouldn't have enough data to make the connection between "deci" and that percentage.

Though, it wouldn't surprise me one whit if, worldwide, there were 5000 or more people in the overall Supercharger group. If it were found to be true that including all aspects of Supercharger operation (planning, permitting, installation, service, manufacturing) across several continents the "deci" connection might actually be valid when applied there as well.

Anyway, the statement was about the funny coincidence based upon how the layoff was stated as being 10%. The number that everyone was familiar with being a known reference point. Either way, those 500 were part of that 10% which Elon had said would be laid off.

Given the reporting: "Multiple sources have now confirmed that Elon Musk has shuttered the division responsible for the Supercharger network, resulting in layoffs for the entire team—approximately 500 employees.", it seems clear it was near 100% of the (US?) team (there are still Supercharger things happening, so not 'everyone' everyone. Were it 5,000 initally, the reporting would be different. Also doubtful the worldwide team would be 9x the size of the (US?) given China has a similar number of sites and rest of world is the final thirdish.

Reactions: UncaNed
It's not impossible. The answer is that if taken outside of its geographical limits it would do zero miles.

Waymo seems to be pretty good at maintaining maps, so we have very little evidence about what their cars would do. This video is just about 2 years old now, so it's more than possible updates to the Waymo driver will make it irrelevant, but we do have one example of what happens when Waymo exits an area that they have mapped:

At timestamp 30:20, the Waymo employee says "I don't know why this construction zone is not taken off the map." Meaning, at that point in time, they had to manually geo-fence off any new construction zones, or else risk the vehicle disengaging like it does in the video.

Reactions: Usain
I think driverless rollout would happen within a year of rollout with safety drivers. So we are talking about less than 2 years from initial rollout to full autonomy rollout. As Ashok said, "It is the beginning of the end!"
And to clarify, since they'll need to report disengagements to the DMV, your expectation is that, as soon as they start rollouts with safety drivers, their official disengagement data will be on par with Waymo?

So why isn't Tesla running robotaxis with the same conditions?
I find Elon's comment that 'interventions are so rare' to be disingenuous. He obviously isn't seeing my car's data, and it sounds like he gets his data from watching the choir preach on X

Because if a robotaxi messes up then it will trigger headlines all over the world. Tesla and/or Elon - media loves to write FUD.

But if waimo or cruise messes up it's only in the local papers. Almost nobody cares.

So Tesla want FSD to be as fool proof as possible before launching.

At timestamp 30:20, the Waymo employee says "I don't know why this construction zone is not taken off the map." Meaning, at that point in time, they had to manually geo-fence off any new construction zones, or else risk the vehicle disengaging like it does in the video.

Seems like they can now handle un-mapped construction zones without having generic issues (I'm sure there are situations when it still fails):

• Funny
It's getting to the point where China data no longer build any trend. If you are using it to judge demand, it introduces more noise than signal. One week it's 2000 and next week is 10k. Then 4k then 16k. It's like a bunch of random nonsense now.
1715088134205.png

To add to this, current FSD 12.3.x is not feature complete since for example reversing/switching gears is not in the set of possible actions FSD can perform.

Autopark does this today- and is a subfeature of FSD.

And to clarify, since they'll need to report disengagements to the DMV, your expectation is that, as soon as they start rollouts with safety drivers, their official disengagement data will be on par with Waymo?

Tesla has an interesting choice here.... they could do their pilots outside of CA.... say Nevada, Florida, or any of the other dozen or so states it's legal and there's little to NO reporting required at all. Thus we'd have no insight into disengagements or other metrics other than what Tesla chooses to release to the public.

OR.... they do it in CA-- which has actual regulatory hurdles to get on the road at all-- and requires a decent bit of reporting of data.....

Normally the first one seems to make tons more sense to avoid bad press.... but we also know FSD is most capable/overtrained in CA so it's most likely to get to the best performance results there the fastest too.

Seems like they can now handle un-mapped construction zones without having generic issues (I'm sure there are situations when it still fails):

At the beginning of the video, she says construction can make maps insufficient or invalid. But at no time during the demonstration videos does she state that these are unmapped construction zones.

Two cherry-picked clips in a promotional video from Waymo themselves are not proof that it can robustly handle construction zones.

Because if a robotaxi messes up then it will trigger headlines all over the world. Tesla and/or Elon - media loves to write FUD.

But if waimo or cruise messes up it's only in the local papers. Almost nobody cares.

So Tesla want FSD to be as fool proof as possible before launching.

This is not true. It shutting down was posted in articles all over, proof:

New York:

LA is not Local to San Fran:

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
At the beginning of the video, she says construction can make maps insufficient or invalid. But at no time during the demonstration videos does she state that these are unmapped construction zones.

Two cherry-picked clips in a promotional video from Waymo themselves are not proof that it can robustly handle construction zones.

Do you think Waymo would go as far as saying their cars can handle construction sites if they couldn't in any situation? I don't think the potential benefits of them saying this outweigh the risks. Secondly, I don't think it's feasible to imagine that they're able to map construction areas in detail. They could be working on one lane in the morning and another lane in the afternoon, completely changing the topography of the site.

• Funny