Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Under Attack - Attempted bribery and malware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it technically possible for someone to hack Tesla's system, and gain control of a particular (or all) vehicles and activate summon or something similar and have a car start driving itself? I'm not a software guy so I don't really know if that's technically possible

Depends on how much you assume the hacker can compromise. There are layers of security and interlocks in place that are supposed to prevent such things from happening, but in theory they could be bypassed or subverted by a sufficiently informed, talented, and determined attacker, if such a party exists.

When a 0 day vulnerability was uncovered in Tesla code that gave some potential control to folks who owned the WiFi you’d used to run a remote app command a few years ago, Tesla rolled firmware to the whole fleet in 48 hours that blocked it.

That’s probably the shape of the future. You can’t always stop a determined hacker, but after they succeed with a car or two you can shut down whatever method they came up with, and Tesla has proven capable and motivated in that regard.

(A similar hack in Chrysler infotainment systems around the same time still worked on half the fleet nine months later because they had to get letters of recall out to people, who then had to bring the car to the dealer for an hour to update it.)

It reported on a scheme to inject malware into the Tesla network by bribing an employee for access. The employee didn’t and helped the FBI trace the source.

Corect. Per multiple articles, it was a ring that had already successfully compromised numerous other companies including some being US.
The suspects/arrested person(s) were Russian.

So, wont be uprising if all are pardoned in the coming weeks....

is it technically possible for someone to hack Tesla's system, and gain control of a particular (or all) vehicles and activate summon or something similar and have a car start driving itself? I'm not a software guy so I don't really know if that's technically possible

As someone that has been a programmer since 40 years ago and was in cybersecurity for 7 years, absolutely anything is possible, so yes.

Reactions: Sam1