Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I'm not have a Tesla but I will buy one in the future. Tesla cars are based much on software and hardware, because the UX is very important for a Tesla owners. So, I have an question that I don't find answer:

1) For an Model 3, what's the cycle guarantee for the update software/hardware? How many years are guarantee for have update software like V11,V12 etc..

Hi guys,
I'm not have a Tesla but I will buy one in the future. Tesla cars are based much on software and hardware, because the UX is very important for a Tesla owners. So, I have an question that I don't find answer:

1) For an Model 3, what's the cycle guarantee for the update software/hardware? How many years are guarantee for have update software like V11,V12 etc..

No guarantee at all

Don't count on it getting anything it doesn't have the day you take delivery.

Absolutely best way to think about it. There is no guarantee that new versions or features will come out for your car. But... when they do it's like Christmas each time and I jump for joy on the "value add" I'm being delivered.

Since getting my M3P I've been surprised with, 2x5% power increases, track mode, improved summon and autopilot, camera recordings, dog/camp mode, remote window vent, etc...

I did not buy my Tesla knowing any of this would be coming down to it.

its impossible to quantify because it all depends on the exactly what will get updated for a given hardware platform and what just will not work.
Some of the older cars don't get a lot of the AP based updates, but they do get some added features.
Basically no guarantee but that also doesn't mean no updates.
Three years of Model 3 and my car has had 87 updates, but a huge amount has changed between my car and a currently shipping Model 3.

There is no advertised point at which the software updates will no longer come for your car — it really depends on the hardware you car has, and to what degree the software over time is probably compatible with it. For example my new MY has what — 8? — cameras and no radar. maybe 5 years from now it needs data from 12 cameras, at which point I will no longer receive all updates, only ones that apply to my configuration. Another example: FSD package cannot be applied to cars build prior to 2016 last I read, which doesn’t mean no software updates for cars built in 2015 I assume but as it lacks the technology/hardware the new software is built on, it will be come obsolete.

Just think of it like buying a laptop rather than your traditional car. This is why I lease! Most consumer laptops not meant to last more than 2 years (enterprise maybe 3-5 ?? a little longer but not by much) — yes I won’t have equity at the end of the lease, but I am the person who gets a new phone every single year. It’s a different paradigm in my opinion.