Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla USB Drive 128GB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as a heads up (assuming they are the same), I bought this Samsung drive for my model 3 which I picked up in February. It only lasted 6 months before I got various warnings on the screen that the drive was too slow and worn out basically.
I’ve now purchased an sd card to replace, and it’s half the price of the Tesla own drive.

I was under the impression that USB flash drives were a bad idea for this application, because they fail after sustained read/writes, and that endurance SD cards or SSDs were the way to go?

Agree with Durzel. I'm on my 3rd USB Flash drive (Samsung Fit+), which theoretically supports high volume and speed writes, but I still get occasional 'unable to record as not fast enough' , which requires the drive to be reformatted.

So I have decided to go down the USB portable SSD route (Amazon cyber Monday deals helped with that decision)

• Love
Reactions: TheFuturist
I fitted a Samsung T5 SSD when I first got the car. It's been flawless, the only time I've ever unplugged it was when I fitted a USB hub. In theory an SSD based drive should last longer than an SD card or standard USB drive if being written to all the time, as the SSD ones use a controller that's able to do wear-levelling, I believe, so that no memory cell gets used any more than any other.

I fitted a Samsung T5 SSD when I first got the car. It's been flawless, the only time I've ever unplugged it was when I fitted a USB hub. In theory an SSD based drive should last longer than an SD card or standard USB drive if being written to all the time, as the SSD ones use a controller that's able to do wear-levelling, I believe, so that no memory cell gets used any more than any other.

This SSD is great but I think overkill for this application.

I use this these in my dashcams: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23WBG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dlC_G.pXFbBX0RV18

And one of these for usb: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1J88CF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_9aqXFb4J34QAQ

Reactions: phil4
I have the same. Plug in and forget. It’s flawless.

Plugged my T5 straight in to the glovebox USB, and then went to security settings and formatted USB drive, took all of 30 seconds.

If you are having issues with your drive try plugging it in to a PC or laptop and wiping it, then plug back in to the car and format again.

I assumed the car did this when you first plug it in?

My endurance SD did and I would have thought the SSD would have. I haven't put in my T5 yet

The TeslaCam folder will be created automatically if you format the drive inside the car, but in car format is not always available. If using an externally formatted drive I have seen no reference to it still not being a manually required step. The latest 2020.44 manual still list it as a step.

Samsung T7 SSD being installed today and I'm sure I'll find an alternative use for the currently plugged in 'problematic' Samsung Fit Plus 256GB USB stick (It's tiny).

I do appear to have amassed quite a collection of USB memory sticks over the years with capacities ranging from megabytes to 256GB.

Yes I am aware this is all overkill - but I get a guilty pleasure adding to my storage device collection

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TheFuturist
Has anyone tried some old school spinning rust?

I have an old 500Gb laptop drive and an enclosure kicking about, thought I might repurpose them.

Might find it will not be happy with the extremes of temperature expected inside the car, there may be vibration problems as well.
As long as it doesn't take too much current it should work for at least some time.
Need to format it to FAT32 and add the TeslaCam folder and you're good to go.

What way does it not work. You need to prepare the drive at the very least by putting a TeslaCam folder in root.

Unfortunately I have tried formatting it via the car and also via laptop many times in different ways on 2 different drives.

It works for a day or two and then stops. Essentially the sentry mode triggers but then doesn't record it to the drive. Dashcam works fine though.

However, it's sentry mode I would really like!