Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Used" buying nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sales people on commission will do what makes them money. Sure, if you pay them enough they will create leads but it’s too expensive. It is better to pay $20/h person to operate phone and press buttons than pay $50/h car sales person to do the same.
Commissions are not paid per hour. If you pay per sale, the only sales people who get paid are the ones making sales. The ones which get paid the most are the ones which develop and close on most leads.

In the process of buying used and got a call from a Tesla a couple minutes later.

What was interesting for me was the car shipping. Most of the cars I’m looking at are in San Diego. Well my agent guy said that they will ship it for free all the way to Phoenix which I made him have to repeat to make sure I heard it correctly.

is that policy now? My OA said the same.

Commissions are not paid per hour. If you pay per sale, the only sales people who get paid are the ones making sales. The ones which get paid the most are the ones which develop and close on most leads.

Obviously one needs common denominator to compare as in $ per hour. Bottom line, sales people who are on commission are wrong people to do customer service / lead generation tasks because their time costs too much plus commissions push people to stretch the truth or omit facts to make a buck.

Obviously one needs common denominator to compare as in $ per hour. Bottom line, sales people who are on commission are wrong people to do customer service / lead generation tasks because their time costs too much plus commissions push people to stretch the truth or omit facts to make a buck.
Vs. no commission, pure hourly makes people not answer messages, tell people what they want to hear just to get them off the phone or stop them from replying to more messages (stretching the truths and omitting facts is part of telling the customer what they want to hear). So, bad employees can screw up the experience in either system. At least in the commission system you reward those who accomplish sales.

Reactions: Alset4S
It's been a few months, have you had any luck? When you are on the Tesla site, put in different ZIP codes, especially ones for California (90210) and Florida (32830) and Chicago (60601). Also it has been mentioned on other threads but many of the listings have actual vehicle photos now. I was told by a Tesla rep that if a car arrives with damage that is not in the photos, they will take care of it. I haven't tested this claim yet, but that's what I was told.

You might want to be flexible in you purchase location, I am flying to Las Vegas to pick up my car after dropping off my trade in in Seattle. I was looking at cars in San Fran, San Diego and even Chicago. Tesla will ship a car to you for up to $2000.00 (I've heard of people only paying $1000.00 at the time of sale, but having said that you would be the guy who pays 2k to get your car shipped from Chicago) Find YOUR unicorn, get pictures, and put your deposit down, and wait a few days. You will be contacted shortly after that and then the real fun begins...will it be ready in time, should i go get it or ship it.. will it go off with out a hitch or will it be not ready.. remember for every 100 people who have great preowned Tesla experiences there is that 1 person who feels they are being screwed and they tell us ALL about IT!! IF my delivery goes great on Saturday, Order to pickup for me was 20 days. Is that normally how I have bought cars in the past? NO, but Teslas are not normal cars, and I have built on line a Tesla 3-4 times a year for over 6 years before I purchased this 2016 TMS 90D. I found my unicorn on EV-CPO.com before I looked at it on Tesla.com. We will get to learn about our car on a 1412 mile road trip!
After this, I flew to Vegas, took paper work for registering my Tesla in WA with me, the advisor's that helped me use to work in Seattle, and somehow still messed up my paper work. NV only gives a 15 day temporary tags for used cars, and it took WA 22 extra days to get my tags to me since they messed up the paper work. Tesla paid for a rental car which cost over $2300.00, while my car sat in my garage. So my recommendation would be, know how long the temporary tags will be from the state your car is in if you will go get it. You might be better off working with Tesla on a discounted delivery charge. I have read some people get their Tesla's delivered for less than $2,000.00. I have no real regrets going down and picking up my car and driving it home. 1500 mile road trip to learn about my car was a blast!

Reactions: EV-CPO and AustinP
Recently (March) bought a 2015 Model S P90DL with the least amount of pictures (more means more damage). The California Car was as new as a used car I’ve gotten in the past. What looked like new tires and 21” rim. Some would say I was lucky.

After this, I flew to Vegas, took paper work for registering my Tesla in WA with me, the advisor's that helped me use to work in Seattle, and somehow still messed up my paper work. NV only gives a 15 day temporary tags for used cars, and it took WA 22 extra days to get my tags to me since they messed up the paper work. Tesla paid for a rental car which cost over $2300.00, while my car sat in my garage. So my recommendation would be, know how long the temporary tags will be from the state your car is in if you will go get it. You might be better off working with Tesla on a discounted delivery charge. I have read some people get their Tesla's delivered for less than $2,000.00. I have no real regrets going down and picking up my car and driving it home. 1500 mile road trip to learn about my car was a blast![/QUOTE
Recently (March) bought a 2015 Model S P90DL with the least amount of pictures (more means more damage). The California Car was as new as a used car I’ve gotten in the past. What looked like new tires and 21” rim. Some would say I was lucky.
Only those who were unlucky. The great majority seem to be very satisfied with the car. It's the process most have issues with.

Reactions: tccartier