Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicles now importable to Canada!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Secondly, there might be no warranty because each country operation has so much funds in the pot. There might be a hefty warranty transfer fee.

No issues with warranty as Tesla does warranty by region and the region is "USA and Canada".

Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) will provide repairs to the vehicle during the applicable warranty period in accordance with the terms, conditions and limitations defined in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Your rights and Tesla’s obligations under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty apply within the Warranty Region where your Tesla vehicle was purchased new. The terms of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not apply if you bring your Tesla vehicle to a different Warranty Region, unless otherwise required by local law. The Warranty Regions are listed below.
Who is the Warrantor? The Warranty Region, summarized below, is based on where the vehicle was first purchased from Tesla.
Warranty Region Contact Information

USA and Canada:
  • USA: Tesla, Inc. Attention: New Vehicle Limited Warranty P.O. Box 15430 Fremont, CA 94539 Phone: 1 877 79 TESLA (1 877 798 3752)
  • Canada: Tesla Motors Canada ULC 1325 Lawrence Ave East Toronto, ON Canada M3A 1C6 Phone: 1 877 79 TESLA (1 877 798 3752)

If anyone is interested in importing a roadster the part numbers to make life easy for you are as follows

6002883 - INSTRUMENT PACK,ROADSTER (EUR) -- mi/h to km/h
Obviously not needed for later Tesla models

6003892 - KIT, ALARM, EU, R2 -- keyfob with immobilization system per Transport Canada standards
A simple black box behind the dash that will require new airbag clips to get to.

6004588 - Module,Veh Mgmt Sys (VMS), EU GSM w/res. -- permanent daylight, mi to km odometer
The last know one was Located in Europe, but there may be a few more undocumented on a shelf somewhere. Not only will the main interface require replacing but someone will need to link it to the vehicle. At present there are no known techs retained that have the equipment or knowledge to do it.

2002011 - ALPHA - MODULE,HOMELINK -- yes, you're reading right, the garage door opener!!!... :cursing:
The thing is not standard in US and Canada and is integrated with Canadian/European VMS, so they had to change it too.

Thankfully these were all parts added to the roadster in component form, not built into it the system as a whole unit.

Compliance regulations change so if Transport Canada, who seem to be governed by Canadian Insurance Companies, relax the requirements then it should be a simple process, like importing a Porsche or a Toyota.

Aha, thanks for that description. I’m seeing what you’re saying now. Will be interesting to see how this progresses.

I think 2019 and going forward are different in that they are compliant therefore allowing additional years in. The notes say models up to 2019, hence I think they are now building them on an international standard. Rather than hoping international standards allow them. A few roadsters that cannot get the parts are parked up until 2025 when they are allowed to be registered regardless.

No issues with warranty as Tesla does warranty by region and the region is "USA and Canada".
I drove my Model S from Ottawa to Florida and the Dania service center had no problem booking me in, providing me a loaner and fixing my car at no cost under warranty. There was never even a discussion that I had a Canadian car. Got fixed and I was happy.

Reactions: Threader
Thinking of buying new or CPO directly from Tesla. Is there any benefit to all this importing if you need to trade in your old Tesla? I’m thinking there might be too much paperwork and so on and probably not much savings as your trade in will be lower in value in the US as well.

Thinking of buying new or CPO directly from Tesla. Is there any benefit to all this importing if you need to trade in your old Tesla? I’m thinking there might be too much paperwork and so on and probably not much savings as your trade in will be lower in value in the US as well.

Are you suggesting you'll be trading in your Canadian Car to Tesla US side? That won't work unless you import your car into the states, at which point you'll be paying US taxes. So that doesn't make sense to do.

• Informative
Reactions: hpjtv
Are you suggesting you'll be trading in your Canadian Car to Tesla US side? That won't work unless you import your car into the states, at which point you'll be paying US taxes. So that doesn't make sense to do.

thanks phtp, forgot about that. Checking the US prices vs Canadian prices after exchange rate, it's not much different. Better buying and trading in here, less hassle and paperwork.

I own a 2016 Model S w/ rear facing seats. Needless to say since there is no rear facing seat option yet with the current model S I am hesitant to part with it.

Anyway I moved to Canada last year on a work permit and the vehicle was on a temporary import to BC. They made me surrender my California title which was a little suspicious since the BC proof of insurance is insurance + title. Not quite sure how that would work trying to resell it in the US, so I got a duplicate title issued from California. Haha. Although they did make me surrender my California drivers license as well.

That's kind of besides the point though, with my PR currently pending I inquired having my car be converted to be admissible to Canada. I was totally expecting to pay a few thousand dollars, but imagine my surprise when I was quoted CA$100 + tax. Can it be true? The service technician said that previously they had to do some expensive rewiring but that now it was a simple software change, and this seems like what they did since my display got reset from km to miles... and I find it hard to believe that the service technician would have made that change on purpose here.

Anyway my service invoice says "Performed Tesla bulletin: SI-19-00-003. Technician properly modifying vehicle configuration to support customer import of their US-spec Model S vehicles to Canada." "NO LABOR PERFORMED" "Customer Import of MS 1.00 from US to Canada(1540070-00-A)"

So it came out to CAD$112. Not sure what I need to do to actually perform the import, that will require more investigation but I think it also involves leaving the country for several days which at the current time is not really fun. But I will write more later this year if/when they open up the border... hopefully this is all that I need done.

I do not think that you have to leave the country. Once you have your PR status, clear the vehicle with Canada Customs. There should be no taxes to be paid since you are moving to Canada. You will have to register most likely with the RIV ( Registrar of Imported Vehicles ) and pay their current fee. Then on to Canadian Tire ( yes! ) who are the designated inspector for RIV. Then a provincial inspection to get your plates. Be sure to check with Canada Customs first, do not take my word as rules may vary.