Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came home and noticed the low powerwall level (missed the vpp announcement. ) first started to check the tesla app but it appears that the app doesn't keep history of vpp events. The energy log had all the indications of a vpp event, but no event log. Or am i not looking at the right place?

Total waste. It whomped my last 10% I was saving to cruise through peak period. No notice.

So now I am going to disable VPP. Does anyone know if I will get a notice with it disabled? I know it won't self charge but I found that poorly executed before too because it would often grid charge during peak periods just before and event.
It wasn't a waste. The worst case is that it cost you a few cents in NBCs as extra peak exports match the extra peak imports, but then you get there $2.00/kWh that was discharged from the Powerwall which will be a lot more than the NBCs.

I had minimal notice, but I am surprised by how much this impacted some people. All I did was turn off our cooling. Since it was less than an hour, we are still at 62% at nearly 11 PM. We will be able to stay self-powered until the sun rises again. I thought this was managed much better than when we participated in the trial and the events were multiple hours to the point that the power walls were fully depleted down to reserve levels.

It would be quite interesting to see 1) how much power and energy Tesla’s vpp fed into the grid and 2) were there other peaker plants that kicked in or other suppliers that jumped in? Our home contributed 14 kWh - just a drop in the bucket...
The app shows how many people participated and the load provided at points. When I checked, it was between 26 and 30 MW in aggregate for only the participants in the PG&E service area. Each home doesn't provide much, but with almost 6k participants, that isn't a drop in the bucket. Particularly considering that the grid assistance is distributed so trunk lines are not stressed compared to bringing a small number of peaker plants online. Also, distribution losses are much lower, considering that our neighbors use the power.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_ and garrity
The app shows how many people participated and the load provided at points. When I checked, it was between 26 and 30 MW in aggregate for only the participants in the PG&E service area. Each home doesn't provide much, but with almost 6k participants, that isn't a drop in the bucket. Particularly considering that the grid assistance is distributed so trunk lines are not stressed compared to bringing a small number of peaker plants online. Also, distribution losses are much lower, considering that our neighbors use the power.
Where in the app did you find that info? Is only a realtime display?

I saw the alert early in the event as I was home and doing chores. I lowered my reserve to 20% and let them drain all they could in an hour since the $2/kWh more than makes up for any power I might buy at partial peak prices.
Same here I was just checking the app randomly and saw the event so I dropped my reserve to help out. Seems like they had a last minute crunch so a cool way to help the grid :).

Reactions: hiddensolar
Interesting. Didn't see any notification. I didn't know about this until reading it here. Thanks for posting
I only contributed 3.6kWh. My reserve was 40%-50%, I think. Does that in fact limits the export amount?

I am also noticing a substantial change to the iPhone app display happened about 2 days ago, wow.

ps. just doublechecked "notifications" for Tesla, all are on. :eek:

Interesting. Didn't see any notification. I didn't know about this until reading it here. Thanks for posting
I only contributed 3.6kWh. My reserve was 40%-50%, I think. Does that in fact limits the export amount?

I am also noticing a substantial change to the iPhone app display happened about 2 days ago, wow.

ps. just doublechecked "notifications" for Tesla, all are on. :eek:

Reactions: charlesj
37MW. Impressive

Screenshot_20230725-194825.png