Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they basically doing VPP every day now? Like I feel these events have been discharging every day for the past 2 weeks even when it wasn’t that hot outside.

I can’t even tell where I’m going to be at from a NEM perspective any more lol. All these credits with peak time exports.
Strange... I have not seen any since 7/26 and maybe a short blip on the 25th.

I'm in Oakland. Could it be micro geographic? I'm straight PG&E, could it be a CCA specific, if there is such a thing as CCA specific VPP? Or is your PW stuck in VPP mode?

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

Reactions: evermore
Are they basically doing VPP every day now? Like I feel these events have been discharging every day for the past 2 weeks even when it wasn’t that hot outside.

I can’t even tell where I’m going to be at from a NEM perspective any more lol. All these credits with peak time exports.
Ive had the feeling that PGE and SCE want to stress test and test the consumer readyness for a VPP event. Not sure where you are but in NorCal we have ZERO need for a VPP event today, unless PGE is looking to reduce alternate energy sources entirely.

There is a future state that we haven’t seen yet, and I’m not sure how it will happen, but it SHOULD. and that is called the “I‘M NOT AT HOME“ state… meaning the grid and the VPP operator (Tesla for you/us) can simply consider essentially MOST of the solar generation as ACCESSIBLE and most if not all of the battery backup for a VPP event as ACCESSIBLE. I think at some point, we’ll get there, but we‘re not there yet for many reasons.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
There have been more VPP events?

Sorry my system is on the Sunrun VPP and not the Tesla VPP.

July 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 + Aug 1, 2, and I guess today are all VPP days.

I guess Sunrun really wants to get their value for the $750 they're allegedly giving me hahaha.

But from a NEM perspective I've exported probably 125 kWh across the meter during peak time from Jul 24 to Aug 2. I don't understand wtf I'm supposed to do with these peak-time-export NEM credits since they won't be paid out (only excess produced kWh are paid out). I can't access the black and white bill on PG&E's website any more; and they stopped sending me the B&W bill :(

Utilities should have plenty of information on VPP on how it stabilizes the grid reliably with set energy. It's interesting how VPP hours last 3 while most PW2 will only last 2-2.5 hours at full discharge. The real question lies in this: is VPP economically comparable to the utilities AND Tesla? If utilities like the source, they will ask Tesla for more. Tesla can be greedy and lower reimbursements to squeeze the margins -- or double down and open up the Tesla PW2 interconnect to his EVs -- creating a much larger footprint potential and the true power of battery storage to smooth demand/supply.
I assume Tesla can adjust the discharge amount of each Powerwall in the VPP. Also, I imagine they can ramp up or down the number of Powerwalls in the VPPs at any point.

Check your Powerwall Settings. If "Energy Exports" is set to "Everything", then it looks like a VPP event during your peak period every day if you are in time based control.

Changing that setting to "Solar" may be what you are used to.

I don't know the best strategy for that setting, but I think any VPP participant would want to export only solar to keep this VPP baseline use at zero.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Check your Powerwall Settings. If "Energy Exports" is set to "Everything", then it looks like a VPP event during your peak period every day if you are in time based control.

Changing that setting to "Solar" may be what you are used to.

I don't know the best strategy for that setting, but I think any VPP participant would want to export only solar to keep this VPP baseline use at zero.

Huh wtf you're right Sunrun or whoever is doing the VPP is going in there and screwing with my settings. I've never set the "Export Everything" option, but that's how it was configured just now.

And, I know I had my backup reserve set to 33%. But right now it says 20%. The setting was changed the evening of Tuesday August 1, where the Powerwalls discharged to 20% even though the backup reserve setting was 33%. This is BS. I agreed to participate in the VPP, not have my settings get constantly screwed with behind my back.

Look at this crap... the Powerwalls discharged below my baseline reserve where the solid line dips into the green shaded area.

1691431242097.png

Huh wtf you're right Sunrun or whoever is doing the VPP is going in there and screwing with my settings. I've never set the "Export Everything" option, but that's how it was configured just now.
I think the Export setting is relatively new and defaulted to Everything when it was added. That is what I saw. I don't know what control Sunrun has over your system. I got my Powerwall directly from Tesla, but we use the same app.

Just resceived a VPP notification for tomorrow 8/28 from 6:00-9:00pm. App main page is now showing "powerwall is discharging to support the grid", but pushing in to the VPP page shows that it is "waiting to discharge" and the event ends in 1 day 5 hours. I'm a bit concerned that it won't discharge during do peak today.
After 4pm and it's behaving normally and covering my house load and solar is going to the grid.
Screenshot_20230827-160259.png

But the VPP page is showing like it is an active VPP.
Screenshot_20230827-160311.png