Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, but I'm not convinced. The document that you linked to is draft version and the text is for A.1 Non-residential while the VPP is under A.4 rules. It does say hourly, but it isn't clear to me if that is hour-by-hour comparison or using hourly increments versus 5 or 15 minute increments. Further confusing the issue is the latest CPUC ELRP documents make reference to "adopted baseline methodology" and "(IIOUs) shall have discretion to determine the proper baseline against which Incremental Load Reductions will be calculated".

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. The document that you linked to is draft version and the text is for A.1 Non-residential while the VPP is under A.4 rules. It does say hourly, but it isn't clear to me if that is hour-by-hour comparison or using hourly increments versus 5 or 15 minute increments. Further confusing the issue is the latest CPUC ELRP documents make reference to "adopted baseline methodology" and "(IIOUs) shall have discretion to determine the proper baseline against which Incremental Load Reductions will be calculated".
Hour-by-hour is the way it used to work a few years ago when I was a member of OhmConnect. I think it likely that they haven't changed. The 10 weekday and 4 weekend day lookback periods are the same as back then, for example. It should be easy for me to tell at the end of this season if we keep having long VPP events like today's.

Hour-by-hour is the way it used to work a few years ago when I was a member of OhmConnect. I think it likely that they haven't changed. The 10 weekday and 4 weekend day lookback periods are the same as back then, for example. It should be easy for me to tell at the end of this season if we keep having long VPP events like today's.
I thought I read somewhere in the 50+ pages of this thread, that people who participated in VPP last year essentially got the amount they exported during VPP x dollar / kWH as payment back in March. All this nebulous calculation by the power companies really seems unnecessary as they will always err on the side that benefits them most.

I thought I read somewhere in the 50+ pages of this thread, that people who participated in VPP last year essentially got the amount they exported during VPP x dollar / kWH as payment back in March. All this nebulous calculation by the power companies really seems unnecessary as they will always err on the side that benefits them most.
A couple users said that this was how their payment worked out, but I think that for the majority, including myself, the numbers didn't work that way. IMHO, the problem is the lack of reporting from Tesla on the payment. No breakdown of any kind from them, just a check.

You are reading this correctly, but the detail is that it is on an hour-by-hour basis, not over the whole period. You can set your reserve to 100% for the first hours of the VPP event and then set it back down when you usually stop exporting.
I might give this a try…but with 51.3kWh normally available, at 11.8kW sustained, that is 4.35hrs to get to 5% reserve. So if I start at 4p I’ll be at 820p anyway, really only 40min to delay.

Also, yesterday I had excess SoC at 9p, but now I’m off peak rate. So export credits weren’t as good.

So now thinking this through as I type, I’ll leave it at 5% reserve. Then from 4p to whenever they calculate I “typically” stop exporting…if they discredit that for VPP, at least I get peak credits.

Nevermind…read the FAQ’s…

View attachment 969135

That said…now I’m concerned….

According to below…it would seem if I’m regularly dumping full rate export (11.9kW) from 4p - 9p…the VPP today, as well as the VPP tomorrow, are net zero offsets from “beyond typical behavior”.

I wouldn’t get any credit for VPP. Am I reading this correctly?

View attachment 969136

View attachment 969138

That is correct from the way it was worded. However, a bunch of us got paid simply by the total amount exported seemingly without any deduction for the typical amount exported. Additionally, we got full credit for peak time export as well. It really was double dipping.

Here's my discharge graph. Notice the bump when l lowered from 20% to 0%.
Screenshot_20230829_152613_Tesla.jpg

That is correct from the way it was worded. However, a bunch of us got paid simply by the total amount exported seemingly without any deduction for the typical amount exported. Additionally, we got full credit for peak time export as well. It really was double dipping.
This would be great if they don’t really use the baseline. At least since I’m exporting every day from 4p usually until about 730-8p

I set it to 99%…will set it to 0% at 430p. Then will put it back to 5% after today.

That said, didn’t CAISO indicate tomorrow is another impacted day? So maybe one more VPP to follow?

So I'm not convinced this will make a difference. Say you discharge 10kwh from 4 to 5 pm. If your solar generation is the same as yesterday, you'll get $20 towards vpp. If you export 0 because you set your reserve to 100%, then you'll get $0 because he 5 or 6 kwh (or whatever it is based on your installation) will be typical and you won't get credit for it. So if you delay exporting until 8 pm when you're making little or no solar, you'll still get $20 for that same 10kwh.

To really game the system, you kinda need to go into self consumption during the solar export period that overlaps with the event times days before a series of events so that you can lower your average export or even eliminate it if your home usage is high enough during that period.....and then to extra game it, make sure you turn everything off during the event.

Just note that while it would make sense for all of these various Demand Response / VPP (both terms now used generically) programs to work the same way, they are not all governed by the same rules. OhmConnect is not part of ELRP that Tesla VPP is; I think OhmConnect is categorized as a third-party Demand Response Provider (DRP), that participates by way of a successful bid in the Demand Response Auction Mechanism (DRAM), it is different from being part of ELRP, and has been around longer.

From the end-user standpoint, they probably look similar in how each residential consumer's participation is measured, probably by design. But one clear constant in ELRP is the end-user gets $2/kwh (even though folks are not 100% sure how kwh are measured). Whereas third-party DRP's I believe define their own incentive structures in how they compensate end-users to entice enrollment - could be flat annual incentive, could be hourly, could be whatever. Ohmconnect is definitely not $2/kwh like ELRP, but it is typically $1-1.40/kwh (but sometimes with 2-4X multipliers, and other incentives.

From a warranty perspective, does participating in VPP exclude unlimited warranty coverage for pushing stored energy to the Grid (as in VPP events)?? Where can you see aggregate throughput? Is that the sum of lifetime Discharged / Charged for the power wall in the app? If so, I'm already at 21.7MWh for my 2 year old system.

IMG_1097.png