Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year, I think the checks came about February - there was just a dollar amount. If you don't have grid export enabled you can look at the Powerwall data for the year and click on Grid, then the Exported section should have a Powerwall listing, which would reflect the vpp events.

With that data you can calculate an actual $/kWh exported (not the reported $/kWh avoided grid use which is an average of Powerwall usage during the time period of the event in prior weeks and they only pay you for grid export in excess of the amount that you normally use from the Powerwall for your house? )
Has anyone received a check yet?

Yes, a physical check here as well.
In the Program Facts for SCE, looks like payment will be digita/ACH:

Payment​

At the end of the season, which is October 31, Tesla will calculate your total payment, in the form of credits, based on your Powerwall’s overall contribution. You can then request a digital payout of your earned credits in the Tesla app. Once you have requested a payout, you can anticipate the deposit within five to seven days.
Guess we'll just have to see.

Yes, this year may be different. Wait and see is all we can do for now.
An ACH transfer would require that Tesla has my financial institution's routing number and my account number. Since I have never provided this information, I didn't see how they could possibly do an ACH. Looking into the link above (https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/virtual-power-plant/pge#payout) I see this.

How do I receive payment for my incentive?
At the end of the season, Tesla will notify you through the Tesla app when your credits are available to cash out to your ACH account. To request a payout, open the Tesla app and follow these steps:
  1. Tap the [PG&E,SCE,SDG&E] VPP banner. If you have any credits, you will see the amount.
  2. Tap ‘Request Payout.’
  3. Enter your bank account details.
  4. Tap ‘Submit.’
So, no physical check this year or at least not automatically sent.

<tinfoil hat on>This appears to be a Musk-related change to support making ex-Twitter into an everything app with financial payments.</tinfoil hat off>

An ACH transfer would require that Tesla has my financial institution's routing number and my account number. Since I have never provided this information, I didn't see how they could possibly do an ACH. Looking into the link above (https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/virtual-power-plant/pge#payout) I see this.

So, no physical check this year or at least not automatically sent.

<tinfoil hat on>This appears to be a Musk-related change to support making ex-Twitter into an everything app with financial payments.</tinfoil hat off>
I went to my app and cannot see any button that says "Request payout" Can anyone confirm or show a screenshot of where to find this?

I went to my app and cannot see any button that says "Request payout" Can anyone confirm or show a screenshot of where to find this?
Below is Tesla’s description of how to receive payment for VPP credits. The statement “If you have any credits, you will see the amount” implies to me that if you don’t have any credits, you won’t see them or the "Request Payout" button. So maybe you don’t have any credits?

CleanShot 2024-02-20 at 11.28.26@2x.png

Below is Tesla’s description of how to receive payment for VPP credits. The statement “If you have any credits, you will see the amount” implies to me that if you don’t have any credits, you won’t see them or the "Request Payout" button. So maybe you don’t have any credits?

View attachment 1020193
I don't think anyone has been issued credit for 2023 as of yet. Unless anyone on here can confirm that they have received them.

View attachment 1020193
I certainly participated in 2023 so should have credits. I am interested to see where others see this button if it is deployed in the app.