Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1099-MISC is only required if the income is over $600. I doubt very many if any folks on VPP got paid out that high, would need a huge system of PWs contributing.

That's the requirement for payers to report. I don't think that means you're technically allowed to not report income below the $600 threshold from a single payer. The real question is...are VPP payouts subject to income tax?

Just got the following email from Tesla:
Payout Available​
Congratulations on a successful year as part of a Tesla Virtual Power Plant! Your incentive payment for the 2023 season has been credited to your Tesla account within the Tesla App in the amount of $234.97. Please note that to collect a payout, you will need to have a bank account linked to your account. Thank you for your patience as we upgraded your experience!​

There's a link to request the payout in the email, but looks like you need to use the app. When I found the message in my Tesla App, I chose to Request Payout and app froze!! Force closing the app and trying again let me input my bank info

Date of birth might be a regulatory requirement since they're dealing with financial transactions (Know your customer - Wikipedia).

The UI oddity with entering the birth date is that they don't allow setting a date in the future, so you have to change the year first, or else iOS will helpfully undo your month change to satisfy the constraint.
That didn't dawn on me. I would have thought that if it was in the future when pressing enter, it would give you the reason why it is wrong.

My payout almost what I was able to calculate after each grid dump. About $5 less than my estimate.

Yea, I found the same thing. I couldn't set the date correctly until I changed the year first!
It won't let you set your birth date to a date in the future. So if your birth month is later than February and you try to set that field first (you know, like pretty much everyone in an English speaking country that reads left to right does), it won't let you.

Yeah, it's crappy UI design.

$106 for me for a partial year's enrollment.

EDIT: aaaaaaaand if I had read one post below this one before oh-so-helpfully responding I'd see that @offandonagain already covered this quite well. 😂