Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar, $240.80 vs last year at $332.97. I wasn't tracking everything this time around, so no idea if this correlated to the rules or not.

I felt dirty having to provide some much details to get the money, bank account (weird that it was account number then the routing number), name, address, and then after putting all that in a pop up asking for date of birth with stupid scroll wheels. Elon just got a ton of information for his ex-Twitter/Paypal2.0 banking ambitions.

Still waiting.
Went on Tesla chat 20 minutes before they closed. They were not much help but email showed up 5 minutes later. I requested payout. I liked getting a check better. pain in the ass to add bank info.

First year participating the VPP program:)
Screenshot_20240302_074834_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: spsheridan
Soon to be available in CA, here is a link to the program.

Let's see what this has to offer and how those that opt-in are impacted and compensated.
another huge plus for the Tesla ecosystem....Tesla leading the way

I called Tesla yesterday and inquired about this payout. They pushed it through and I had a payout message less than 24 hours later. Looks like a decent chunk of cash, just under $590 for the year.

I like the new feature where you can set a reserve for VPP events and a different reserve for daily reserve. This way I can maximize my VPP deployment and also have a more reasonable reserve for an average day.

I called Tesla yesterday and inquired about this payout. They pushed it through and I had a payout message less than 24 hours later. Looks like a decent chunk of cash, just under $590 for the year.

I like the new feature where you can set a reserve for VPP events and a different reserve for daily reserve. This way I can maximize my VPP deployment and also have a more reasonable reserve for an average day.
How many pws do you have?

The compensation is based on PW discharge relative to the baseline PW discharge according to the program rules. Most of my discharge went to my AC during the event days and I was compensated at $121 per PW (discharged 100% to 10%). Because most event days are generally the only really hot days in coastal Southern California, we tend to only use AC on those days hence our baseline is low. We usually only discharge ~10% or less during peak hours.

Anybody have the dates of all the events last year?

The compensation is based on PW discharge relative to the baseline PW discharge according to the program rules. Most of my discharge went to my AC during the event days and I was compensated at $121 per PW (discharged 100% to 10%). Because most event days are generally the only really hot days in coastal Southern California, we tend to only use AC on those days hence our baseline is low. We usually only discharge ~10% or less during peak hours.

Anybody have the dates of all the events last year?

I know that's what the program rules state, but my payouts both years have been strictly based on the number of kwh discharged to the grid during the event. In this case, it was 153 kwh combined.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
We are on PG&E. I tried to take notes when they happened, but I am not confident that these are either correct or complete. So, for what it's worth:

View attachment 1030410

I received my ACH last week.
SW
Thanks. After I posted I went back in this thread and also looked at my Tesla data to get the dates. I think there was also an event on 7/26/23. Having the times as well is helpful.

If I ever get time, it will be interesting to pull the PW data to compare it to the compensation I got.

Thanks. After I posted I went back in this thread and also looked at my Tesla data to get the dates. I think there was also an event on 7/26/23. Having the times as well is helpful.

If I ever get time, it will be interesting to pull the PW data to compare it to the compensation I got.
I had an event on Jul 26, 12 kWh.
On your apple app you can ask for a custom date for that day. Should give times on the graph.

Just received the invite to apply to the VPP program. I received PTO from SCE back in October 2023. But the program seems different from what most here are describing. It's called the Tesla Virtual Power Plant with DSGS (Demand Side Grid Support program).

It no longer seems like the straight $2 for every additional kWh that the Powerwall delivers during an event beyond typical behavior. In fact, typical behavior doesn't appear to be a factor and the compensation is on a sliding scale that varies between May and October, with August and September events providing the highest payouts. Possible to earn "up to $350 a year per Powerwall." Is this a new program, or has it been discussed before?

VPP with DSGS

• Informative
Reactions: Redhill_qik
Just received the invite to apply to the VPP program. I received PTO from SCE back in October 2023. But the program seems different from what most here are describing. It's called the Tesla Virtual Power Plant with DSGS (Demand Side Grid Support program).

It no longer seems like the straight $2 for every additional kWh that the Powerwall delivers during an event beyond typical behavior. In fact, typical behavior doesn't appear to be a factor and the compensation is on a sliding scale that varies between May and October, with August and September events providing the highest payouts. Possible to earn "up to $350 a year per Powerwall." Is this a new program, or has it been discussed before?

VPP with DSGS
Looks like the CPUC, who governs the program, has changed the payment scheme for the 2024 season and it is weirdly not tied to amount of kWh that you provide, but the average kW that you deliver plus a variable rate per month that amounts to$64.55/kW/season. So, if you always consistently delivered 5kW during each event hour (that is defined as when the wholesale rate is more than $200/MW or $2/kW) then you would get 5 * $64.55 = $322.75.

This is the monthly payment schedule
MonthCapacity Payment
May$7.00/kW
June$7.25/kW
July$13.10/kW
August$14.04/kW
September$14.97/kW
October$8.19/kW
Total$64.55/kW

The season is now much wider than in 2022 and 2023, but I am skeptical that there would be demand shortfalls in May or October that would create a market demand for >$200/MW generation to trigger an event.

If May has a single event for 1 hour and 5kW was delivered during that hour then that would be 5kW * $7.00/kW for $35.00 and you would have delivered only 5kW * 1 hour for a total of 5kWh which was worth $7.00/kWh, but if there wasn't an event then from my understanding that we would get $0.00 for May. If August has 5 events that are each 3 hours long than that would be a payment of 5 kW * $14.04/kW for $70.20, but that would be 5 events * 5 kW * 3 hours for 75kWh or just $0.936/kWh. Which is just a weird way to have structure the program.

My VPP payments for 2023 total was $240.80 and for 2022 it was $322.97 for two Powerwalls which would be just $120.40 and $166.49 each. My grid export is limited to 7.83kW, so I could theoretically earn more under the new scheme maybe up to $505.42 (7.83kW * $64.55). Still it all just seems weird and bait-and-switchy, so basically the norm for our three IOUs and the CPUC.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
(that is defined as when the wholesale rate is more than $200/MW or $2/kW)
I think you meant $0.2/kWh😃.
If May has a single event for 1 hour and 5kW was delivered during that hour then that would be 5kW * $7.00/kW for $35.00 and you would have delivered only 5kW * 1 hour for a total of 5kWh which was worth $7.00/kWh, but if there wasn't an event then from my understanding that we would get $0.00 for May.
The Tesla webpage linked above says there is at least one event per month.

I think you meant $0.2/kWh😃.
Oops, I thought something looked odd. It makes it more realistic.
The Tesla webpage linked above says there is at least one event per month.
I missed that. The same section says that the events are no more than 2 hours and no more than 35 events. Updates in the Tesla app also says no more than 60 hours, but that isn't on the webpage.

There is a bunch more information on this from the California Energy Commission, CEC, which is not the CPUC that I mentioned earlier.
For anyone interested you can look here: Demand Side Grid Support Program and you want to focus on "Incentive Option 3" which is the Aggregated Virtual Power Plant group that the test program falls under.

The latest draft guidelines (for some reason it isn't final but starts in a week?) has this the table of pricing along with my annotation of the Tesla pricing. As you can see Tesla's numbers are higher than the DSGS, my best guess is that Tesla is also getting a 30% bonus because they participated in 2023 and are passing along some, but not all of that bonus to Tesla VPP participants. .

1713969546184.png

Also, there were options for 3-hour and 4-hour that gave higher rates for the higher amount of kWh, but Tesla has opted to just do the 2-hour which is a decision likely based on how many of their sites could deliver at the full rate for the full duration

• Informative
Reactions: yblaser