Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision vs Parking Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly my 2018 Tesla had a worse problem with phantom brakes than either of our 2023 Teslas (3,Y), so there is progress there. However, the marshmellow canyon parking visual is really a joke, like I hope passengers don't see it. Like is there anyone that gets a passenger in the car and then says 'hey watch this incredibly cool park assist!' with beaming pride ? No.

I drove a Nissan Rogue rental last week that was very good at lane keeping and park assist. Other things sucked, but that part was good.

I've had multiple phantom braking events on the freeway because the shadow of a vehicle (usually dark) crosses the lane divider but the car itself is still well within it's own lane. It took a while to work out what was happening but now I can recognise it every time...
Phantom braking aside, I'd say even more numerous for me is "phantom slowing". For example, cruise set at 72 in a 65 and I'm going 72, but then we start to go over a slight hill and the car slows down to 65 or so because it senses "something", but then once it realizes nothing was there it speeds up again.

As for parking, I get "parking assist degraded" error many times a week. Guess how many times I got a similar error message on my last volvo or on my toyota?

Bottom line. Tesla wanted to save money. Then realized nothing in the world could replace the 100% time-proven accuracy of Ultrasonic sensors.

I’m sure their engineers have realized by now they took a step back in the most simplest car feature on earth. Thus, cameras returned on the CT.

I guarantee, front bumper cams will return to all models by end of the year.

Of course they want to save money, just like any other manufcaturer of any product.

Tesla Vision does more than USS ever could already and will only get better. USS will never pick up parking lines, chain link fence or even the small objects/poles that are no lined up with them as was demonstrated in the review.

I'd take that bet any day of the week, there is no way the 3 and Y are getting bumper cameras this year, if ever. They clearly tested it with the new 3 and decided it wasn't needed.

The front bumper camera will definitely come. Given that the CT has a front bumper camera, and the S and X are reportedly getting it shortly, it will come to the 3 and Y eventually.

I reckon resale values on the USS-less Teslas will take a hit when the front bumper cams reach the 3 and the Y.

I've used 360 view systems in a number of different medium to high end vehicles for many years.

Having first hand experience with both systems I 100% stand by the statement that 360 view cannot handle this situation as well as Tesla Vision did (unless you want to stay hung up on the fact that the cars are perfectly represented as grey shapes rather than "pretty" (warped) pictures).

A 4 camera 360 view cannot handle when the cars are as close as they were in this example, the side cameras simply cannot see enough to warp the image correctly and you get the exact situation in the other video I'd posted on page 1 and perfectly demonstrates the limitations of a 360 view that is not present in Tesla Vision. You've got video evidence of a difficult situation where Tesla Vision worked perfectly and video evidence of a less difficult situation where 360 view failed miserably.

The person driving the Rivian did not use the appropriate “view” for the condition.
R1T or R1S has camera looking towards the front fender and rear fender. I would have not relied on the 360 top view and used the front fender looking side cameras. The 360 view did not fail here but the driver.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0879.jpeg
    IMG_0879.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0877.jpeg
    IMG_0877.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: EatsShoots
when the cameras inevitably "degrade"
Sorry, that's not true at all and not relevant to parking situations.

The only times I've seen the cameras 'degrade' is when it's pitch black with nothing nearby so there's nothing for them to see but pitch black, so the system thinks the camera is not working. The second anything comes into view it clears so it's really no issue there's just no way for the camera to 'know' that the screen is all black because there is simply nothing to see or if it's because it 'can't' see.

In a parking situation with anything any thing anywhere nearby, the camera won't be having this issue and I've done several parks in dark areas with not a single issue. Still picks up all of the things like curbs, lines, etc that USS will never be able to. The lighting reflection from reverse lights, etc, are more than enough to light up nearby objects.

The only times I've seen the cameras 'degrade' is when it's pitch black with nothing nearby so there's nothing for them to see but pitch black, so the system thinks the camera is not working. The second anything comes into view it clears so it's really no issue there's just no way for the camera to 'know' that the screen is all black because there is simply nothing to see or if it's because it 'can't' see.

In a parking situation with anything any thing anywhere nearby, the camera won't be having this issue and I've done several parks in dark areas with not a single issue. Still picks up all of the things like curbs, lines, etc that USS will never be able to. The lighting reflection from reverse lights, etc, are more than enough to light up nearby objects.
It degraded for me just the other night backing out of my garage onto a very well lit driveway with multiple overhead lights. And it continually degrades and gives the "camera blocked" message while driving around at night.

I continue to get absolutely zero value from the undulating blobs. My personal use is that it has a nice backup camera and nothing else to assist in parking.

Reactions: positiv and Jeff-4

I would suggest maybe try turning on your headlights when parking in pitch black conditions. If they’re gonna go vision only they should consider using an infrared. I had that on an IR Audi A7 that could detect deer and people and stuff and actually display them on the heads up display
If they cant get Summon to work with vision only, maybe they could at least add AI curb rash warning system. Maybe even spot a pothole, instead of charging right through it.

Reactions: Jules22 and positiv
Have you tried cleaning the cameras?
Explicitly cleaning no, although I recently looked at the pillar cameras and they look clean, as to the ones pointing back from the fender.

On a 30 min drive last night i had constant degraded camera messages. I had at one point a "left pillar camera" obstruction message when it was dark. Otherwise, here are two pics of the degraded camera with a half decent bit of ambient light (houses or porch lights). This is typical fare for my car.

1710335897954.png

1710335924477.png

• Informative
Reactions: paulp