Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision vs Parking Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it, can't wait to see how much better it gets with development.

It's already as good or better than the stitched together 360 views I've had in other cars, and every bit as good as USS in my opinion.
I’d call that fairly basic and it failed to pickup several objects. It does not appear reliable at all. It was telling that the driver lacked confidence if it would work. It cannot pick up a persons legs, a hose reel, bins. It seems it will also not pick something up that it did not see on the way in, unlike ultra sonics.
The latest merc live feed system is probably something you should try to better understand what tesla appear to be aspiring to

I personally always found 360 stitched camera somewhat disorienting and rather unnatural. I prefer Tesla Vision and the latest update I have seems to have improved it considerably. One thing I've noticed is that the distance to objects has improved by a lot. I used to get random things pop up as obstacles I'm about to impact, especially in the garage, but now it's pretty much spot on every time.

I hope it keeps getting better!

My opinion: This weird birds eye view is the most horrific thing Tesla has put out since I got my car last summer. I got my first car with proper 360 degree six years ago and I love the feature. It was on a volvo. Spectacular, with high res cameras. Would let me reverse into parking spots very quick with absolute confidence. I also have it on a 2022 Rav4 and it's very good--even though the 2022 Rav4 cameras look like something from the last 60's--it's still very usable.

This weird blobby thing which looks like a software bug is thoroughly unusable. I do not trust it one little bit. Not one iota. I'm actually shocked if anybody uses and trusts this hideous mishmash of undulating grey jelly.

It's already as good or better than the stitched together 360 views I've had in other cars, and every bit as good as USS in my opinion.
I believe you believe this, but I am flabbergasted at the statement that you believe it to be better than the 360 view in other cars.

Volvo two years ago:

1708110004731.png

Tesla today:

1708110062398.png

No word of a lie when my daughter got in the car a few weeks back after this update she said something was wrong with the camera.

Last edited:

Have you ever had a car with USS? Ultrasonic sensors are nearly 100% reliable in an all conditions (rain, snow, dark, light, etc.) and measure with accuracies of 1% of the distance (How an ultrasonic sensor works | Sensor Partners). That's 1 mm for an object 10 cm away. There is no way that Tesla Vision can compete with that. Close is fine for horseshoes and hand grenades; not for parking sensors. Although I love my Tesla, its parking sensors are huge disappointment.

I personally always found 360 stitched camera somewhat disorienting and rather unnatural. I prefer Tesla Vision and the latest update I have seems to have improved it considerably. One thing I've noticed is that the distance to objects has improved by a lot. I used to get random things pop up as obstacles I'm about to impact, especially in the garage, but now it's pretty much spot on every time.

I hope it keeps getting better!
Agree, 360 view are distorted camera views stitched together which can lead to issues like this-

Have you ever had a car with USS?
All of my previous cars and the car my wife currently drives use USS. They are far from foolproof, they do suffer from reflections etc, and small objects that are not lined up with a USS will not be picked up.

Any parking assist system should only be used as an assistance, they all have shortfalls. The new Tesla system is still only in it's first iteration and already shows fantastic promise, unless you are looking for pretty pictures rather than a useful system.

Agree, 360 view are distorted camera views stitched together which can lead to issues like this-

All of my previous cars and the car my wife currently drives use USS. They are far from foolproof, they do suffer from reflections etc, and small objects that are not lined up with a USS will not be picked up.

Any parking assist system should only be used as an assistance, they all have shortfalls. The new Tesla system is still only in it's first iteration and already shows fantastic promise, unless you are looking for pretty pictures rather than a useful system.
I have never had anything missed by USS in any car that I have owned. I also definately see the benefit of high quality live camera footage over rendered forms, and particularly when the driver gets to choose the camera location, angle, and zoom.

I actually prefer the camera view in our Teslas over the “Birds Eye” view cameras when backing into a tight spot. Just seems more natural.

I think it will be interesting to see how Tesla Vision using AI instead of written code will behave and improve over time. I’m assuming it’s not only FSD that will benefit from it.

Reactions: STUtoday
I actually prefer the camera view in our Teslas over the “Birds Eye” view cameras when backing into a tight spot. Just seems more natural.

I think it will be interesting to see how Tesla Vision using AI instead of written code will behave and improve over time. I’m assuming it’s not only FSD that will benefit from it.
The wiper / headlight / tacc (in australia) do not leave me hopefull that the parking concept will get to the level of standard well used systems.

The wiper / headlight / tacc (in australia) do not leave me hopefull that the parking concept will get to the level of standard well used systems.
When they get there, not if, given time and $ in my opinion. You can make a brick break the sound barrier if you push it hard enough (attributed to a French aeronautical engineer, I think).

Both camera and USS systems can be developed more. I haven't used the Tesla camera system (don't even have a VIN yet) but I noted in several cars that ultrasonic sensors missed some lower obstacles and some poles ... might have been the cylindrical shape?

When they get there, not if
Correct, particularly when you look at how they perform already in the US. The limitations here are regulatory not system limitations and given the EU have finally moved on this, we will likely follow suit soon as we unfortunately just seem to follow most of their regulations rather than what is best for Australia.

The high fidelity parking view is good. In terms of usefulness I'd say it's on par with USS now, and if Tesla had rolled this out at the same time as removing the USS (like any normal company would have) then there would have been very little fuss about this whole issue. The HF view does still have some 'must fix' issues; the accuracy with which it models obstructions to the front is not good enough as they get close, and I have seen it completely fail to perceive some narrow objects like bollards, which is completely unnacceptable.

However, the way that it picks up kerbs and painted lines and the fact that it models obstructions all the way up to the full height of the car is excellent, and I have found that its distance estimations to be pretty good in all directions except to the front.

IMHO the people still idolising USS and the stitched camera view aren't thinking about what's most useful, they're just grading it against what they already know. Stitched cameras give the illusion that they're showing you loads of information when what you're really getting is a narrow sliver around the car twisted and distorted to look like you can see more than you can. Best of luck when you encounter an obstacle above wing mirror height (about where the cameras are) with those.

Yes, the precision of USS is great, but they get freaked out by puddles (if you're on a slope), reflections from large objects, foliage, they can't see things at kerb height or painted lines, have a short range and can completely miss narrow objects if they're close up and between the emitters. They aren't that great, really, we're just comfortable with what they can and can't do.

If we're ever to see a proper self park (or summon) feature, one that doesn't just work when there are painted lines or other cars to line up against (as per most self parking features), then the car has to have a full 3D model of its surroundings, there's no other way.

Unfortunately the vision parking assist is not good for distance estimation at short distances, especially from the front where your bonnet blocks your camera view and the car has to guess it's position from memory. It tends to be inaccurate and says 'STOP' fairly early when you need that distance to manoeuvre. That means that when you're parallel parking into a tight spot and you need parking sensors the most, they likely won't work for you.

This is an example of a tight parallel car spot I got into easily yesterday with my USS parking sensors, despite it being only ~100cm longer than my car. The USS give me an accurate distance readout on the front and back in all conditions (day and night).

Tesla park.jpg