Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VS Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just sad, for Tesla that is. Car and Drivers latest test.

taycanvstesla-graphs-accelerationtest.png

taycanvstesla-graphs-rangetest.png

The first test in particular, makes sens if you are evaluating for race conditions. (Drag racing).
But for a real world test, wouldnt it make far more sense to do a test at 100% charge for both, 75%, 50%, 25%, 10%? Then compare those #'s?

Reactions: WarpedOne
It is not sad, we hope it is true. Porsche is a great company and I want them to do well. Supporters of American car companies should be proud that Tesla has started a revolution. Porsche costs twice as much, had had years to develop, copy and surpass. They should have an AMAZING car that crushes, not debatable in any category. I would consider the Taycan if it was affordable, lol. As a car guy, I am offending by the "Turbo" name, stupid on many levels. Otherwise totally different cars, small 2+2 seating, barely...kids in back, etc.
Full charge in a perfect world, big 5 adult sedan, never gonna track it, still will hang with a purpose-built "Tesla Killer", sounds good to me...

Agree, it's still a pretty good showing for a car that has 8 year old roots. But that speed drop off after repeated use was eye opening. I already knew the EPA range to actual real world range was a joke (for the Tesla). I am surprised there haven't been lawsuits about it.
who would the lawsuits have been against? The EPA?

Which one is 8 years old?
The Model S made its debut in 2012. That makes it an 8 year old model. (Obviously the specific car itself isnt 8 years old. But its an 8 year old design vs a brand new design from one of the top high performance car makers on Earth that has been in business for 88 years.)

And got beat (again) by a tech company that's been producing cars for a fraction of that time...

The Model S made its debut in 2012. That makes it an 8 year old model. (Obviously the specific car itself isnt 8 years old. But its an 8 year old design vs a brand new design from one of the top high performance car makers on Earth that has been in business for 88 years.)

And got beat (again) by a tech company that's been producing cars for a fraction of that time...
Are you going to pretend the 2020 P100D is anywhere near the same as a 2012 model s? So many improvements have been made that saying it’s an 8 year old design is totally BS.

Not defending the Porsche, I personally don’t like VW group. But to say that the current model s offering is an 8 year old design is as I said bull****

who would the lawsuits have been against? The EPA?
Tesla. The EPA took VW through the cleaners in court over some of their EPA-submitted shenanigans.

tesla administers range tests appropriately from what I can see, no cheating. Older cars that have been illegally capped won't ever meet EPA test criteria wit hthe capped software so they could be "cheat device" equipped, but new cars can meet EPA range if you drive like a nanny the way the EPA tests expect.

Are you going to pretend the 2020 P100D is anywhere near the same as a 2012 model s? So many improvements have been made that saying it’s an 8 year old design is totally BS.

Not defending the Porsche, I personally don’t like VW group. But to say that the current model s offering is an 8 year old design is as I said bull****

The 2020 Model S is still a 2012 design. You can plug everything from a 2020 onto my car and it will work, they changed a lot of parts but not the car itself. It's an 8+ year old design, nothing wrong with that and it leaves lots of room for improvements yet to come.

Reactions: 2101Guy

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But an eight-year-old design is an eight-year-old design. Every car gets tweaks and improvements over its Run. But it doesn’t change the fact that an eight year old design soundly defeated a brand new design.

If you ain’t first your last

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But an eight-year-old design is an eight-year-old design. Every car gets tweaks and improvements over its Run. But it doesn’t change the fact that an eight year old design soundly defeated a brand new design. Facts.
But it’s not an 8 year old design, 8 years ago there was no AWD, the battery was not capable of delivering the amount of current it does now... Sure it’s still a sedan with 4 wheels but it’s not the same car technology wise.

Here’s a guy driving his Taycan 10,000 miles across the country. Pretty interesting. Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal
holy cow that sounds like a terrible experience from the beginning!
what was Porsche(and apparently everyone but Tesla) thinking
the Taycan sounds horrible in many important ways for an EV. the software sounds like pure junk as is, Nav doesn't find chargers?
lane keeping like a drunk, ouch

This is just sad, for Tesla that is. Car and Drivers latest test.

View attachment 508954

View attachment 508955

Many people have taken Model Ss to the drag strip and done multiple runs and do not see the acceleration drop off that C/D noted here.

I speculate that C/D must have done the runs one right after another with no rest time. And the Tesla cooling system could not keep up and so the BMS responded to the condition that the battery was in and limited the power.

If they would have left more time in between runs the Tesla would have been more consistent and reflective of what people get at the drag strip where there is at least 10 or so minutes between runs and the ETs are very consistent with a slow taper as the battery discharges.

But I have to acknowledge that for $80k more, Porsche has squeezed some great performance both in charging and discharging power from their battery.

I wonder how the battery (and the 2-speed transmission) will hold up.

I speculate that C/D must have done the runs one right after another with no rest time. And the Tesla cooling system could not keep up and so the BMS responded to the condition that the battery was in and limited the power.
Since that's exactly what Porsche is really claiming about their car's advantage over the Model S, I expect that's exactly what C/D did.