Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger enclosure for mountain weather

Sacramento

2021 Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Mar 13, 2021
Sacramento, CA
I jumped through all the HOA hoops to install a wall charger at my parking space in a community of free-standing condominiums at 7,000 feet on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe. The homeowners association provided strict specifications for size and color: 18" wide, 14" deep, 48" high and Oxford brown.

I tried to find a fabricator to build a steel box similar to the nearby "bear box" garbage enclosures but the quotes were ridiculous. So I built an enclosure from a single sheet of 3/4" plywood mounted on a two-foot-square concrete slab. I'm surprised there aren't more commercially available enclosures.

Pro tip: Beware of Tesla- recommended electricians. One guy I contacted wanted $3,500 to replace the 50-year-old electric panel and then an extra $1,000 to connect the wall charger, even after I told him I was running the conduit and pulling the wires myself. I call it a "Tesla tax."

I bought my own panel and breakers at Home Depot for about $600 and found a respected electrician in Reno who swapped out the panel for $1,200. By the way, while I was pulling the #4 AWG wires for the wall charger, I also pulled a set of #6 AWG wires for a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet on a GFCI breaker for future visitors with non-Tesla EVs– and, of course, a 120v circuit for a light and outlet for vacuums, etc. One more thing: If you're running underground conduit, pay a bit extra for 2" PVC. Plastic is cheap and it makes pulling heavy conductors a piece of cake.

Attachments

• tesla charging station 1.jpg
    tesla charging station 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • tesla charging station 2.jpg
    tesla charging station 2.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 47

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC