Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger-Ground issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rcafin07

Oct 29, 2022
USA
Picking up my Tesla on Wednesday and noticed the below error when checking the wall charger website

*High ground resistance detected, charging disabled*
From 8/3/2022, 8:09:10 PM
However I have all green lights on the charger itself
Is this and old fault that just didn’t clear out ?
Any way to clear out if it is and old alert ?

5D4BC4AF-5D06-4F8B-871F-EADC99683CC3.jpeg

Upvote 0
I noticed the exact same issue, it's funny that it's also dated in early Aug (but I just found out today). No issues w/ charging. I called Tesla support and they looked into my unit and said everything is running normally and was told to just ignore it.

Still, it's a bit unsettling that this is an "active alert" and there's no way to reset it. I mean, does that mean the sensor is fried on my unit?

IMG_3877.PNG.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E87EF34-E7F8-43D6-A3F4-F4DB5B90AEB8IMG_3875.png
    5E87EF34-E7F8-43D6-A3F4-F4DB5B90AEB8IMG_3875.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
I just got the same alert. The reason I even checked is because when my wife plugged in her MY tonight the green lights came on as if it were charging - but we use scheduled charging at a departure time. So I logged into the wall charger admin and saw the alert. It was dated 1/21. Everything seems to be working fine and there are no red error lights. We have two chargers that do power sharing on one circuit.

The only odd thing was that the charging lights were active as I noted. They are usually blue for the scheduled charge. When I checked the network status there was a small 2A draw going to the MY on the one charger, but the MY itself didn’t indicate it was charging. Not sure if this is related to the alert and will see if it persists.

Do any of you that have this ground resistance issue have this “trickle” charge?

Reactions: Anthony R.
Upvote 0
This evening while using my iPhone, I noticed that I had no internet access because the phone randomly connected to my Wall Connector's Wi-Fi. I decided to open the WC's web page and found this alert from a week ago. The date/time stamp indicates the error occurred at the exact time a storm came through which caused a 4-hour power failure. I haven't had any charging issues and would not have seen this alert has I not stumbled across it.

Upvote 0
@Rcafin07 @UoMDeacon @paulchou @solodogg @delfonique @Bob2C @bjcleaver

I believe I figured out how to clear the active alert error because I was also getting the an error related to overheating and being disabled however the charger works fine. Also verified with the Tesla support to verify there no errors when they were troubleshooting.

They recommended factory reset setting it from software since I used the breaker method which did not not work. Go to http://192.168.92.1/service and perform it from there. Once I did that, I logged back into the Wall Connector to set everything back up and the error has dissapeared; also double checked by shutting the breaker off an on and checking the page to see that the error has not come back.

(Don't worry about the time of the photo, since I had factory reset it)
Screenshot_20230724_144645_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230724_144342_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the factory reset method. It worked.

Update: since this summer my charger has been acting weird; I was away on vacation and I had it plugged in in my garage. I would get daily alerts that charging has stopped. My guess is due to overheating, as later my wall monitor app would show a lot of "thermal foldbacks" daily.

It has always ran hotter than usual for some reason, and I even had the electrician came out 6 month after installation to take a look. Nothing suspicious.

Well this week it stopped working altogether. I get the "Internal fault, charging disabled" message this week. I guess the Texas heat finally pushed it over the edge.

Called Tesla support, before I could even react they said they will send me a new unit as it's within warranty. Wow! after many experiences w/ the service center I have to say I am pleasantly surprised.

I think I'll leave the backplate (along w/ the connected electrical wires) alone, as I think there's not much there other than plates and connectors, but I will replace the front plate. Fingers crossed...

Upvote 0
Ive just experienced a similar issue. I noticed car was charging on at 15/40A, however no errors received from the car about any overheating or reduced charge speed. It only caught my attention as i went to disconnect the plug in the morning after overnight charge and realized its still charging. When i went into wall charger settings it shows Alert, Active: 1 but when you click on alerts it says "No Alerts"..also software was up to date.

I followed the above steps to clear the alert by resetting to factory settings as there is no way to manually do it. Let's hope it will charge at 40A next time around.. this is first time i'm having this issue with the charger.

Attachments

• IMG_2965.jpeg
    IMG_2965.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2968.jpeg
    IMG_2968.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2969.PNG
    IMG_2969.PNG
    106 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2970.PNG
    IMG_2970.PNG
    195.2 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
Ive just experienced a similar issue. I noticed car was charging on at 15/40A, however no errors received from the car about any overheating or reduced charge speed. It only caught my attention as i went to disconnect the plug in the morning after overnight charge and realized its still charging. When i went into wall charger settings it shows Alert, Active: 1 but when you click on alerts it says "No Alerts"..also software was up to date.

I followed the above steps to clear the alert by resetting to factory settings as there is no way to manually do it. Let's hope it will charge at 40A next time around.. this is first time i'm having this issue with the charger.
Thanks for this - exact issue here. Factory reset appears to have fixed it for now.

Upvote 0