Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger installed - 50 amp instead of 60 amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember you can't upgrade a breaker unless the wiring supports it. Especially doing something like the continuous duty of charging,
I'm going to stick with the 50-amp breaker for now. I will have a conversation with the electrician about the wire. I know for sure it is 6 AWG. The wiring was installed from the panel (not connected) to the garage inside the wall when we built the house. It was sized for 50-amp breaker at the time.

I'm going to stick with the 50-amp breaker for now. I will have a conversation with the electrician about the wire. I know for sure it is 6 AWG. The wiring was installed from the panel (not connected) to the garage inside the wall when we built the house. It was sized for 50-amp breaker at the time.
My question would be "If it was sized for" "why wasn't it installed"

Just to get that right since I'm not sure what you mean by "installed from the panel (not connected)": do you have a main panel in the house and a sub panel in the garage? If yes, what size breaker is the sub panel connected to?

Until you want to go on a trip on short notice and you need to get the charge level up ASAP.
I'd normally be charged every morning.

I can see if you go on a trip, return home on empty and then need to do a second trip. So it may change from 4 to 5 hours needed.

Probabilities of this for most folks is often close to 0.
And that also assumes that there is NOT a Supercharger anywhere near you.

I'd normally be charged every morning.

I can see if you go on a trip, return home on empty and then need to do a second trip. So it may change from 4 to 5 hours needed.

Probabilities of this for most folks is often close to 0.
And that also assumes that there is NOT a Supercharger anywhere near you.
Nope. Scenario is this: charge to 50%, as usual, to minimize battery degradation. Do a spontaneous trip to San Francisco (which I can do on 50% but only barely) which I would prefer to start with around 65-75% SoC. So just before leaving, I increased the charge limit and then started charging. This actually happened once, and I got about an hour notice. In that hour, I was able to raise the SoC to around 65-70% but it took all 48A to get there.

Reactions: Eric33432
Nope. Scenario is this: charge to 50%, as usual, to minimize battery degradation. Do a spontaneous trip to San Francisco (which I can do on 50% but only barely) which I would prefer to start with around 65-75% SoC. So just before leaving, I increased the charge limit and then started charging. This actually happened once, and I got about an hour notice. In that hour, I was able to raise the SoC to around 65-70% but it took all 48A to get there.

So, it's your decision to only charge to 50%. That's not Tesla guidance nor recommendations. (Many would argue that you aren't gaining anything)

But again, the difference is only a few minutes, and the probability is close to 0. You said that it happened to you once. Assuming that you charge daily, and you got your car when you joined the forum, 1 out of about 500 is 0.2%

Isn't 0.2% close to 0?

So, it's your decision to only charge to 50%. That's not Tesla guidance nor recommendations. (Many would argue that you aren't gaining anything)
It's within Tesla's guidance, which is to charge to anywhere between 50% and 90% for daily use. But note that Tesla's guidance is based on not having to do warranty replacements. They couldn't care less about what happens after your warranty expires.

Scenario is this: charge to 50%, as usual, to minimize battery degradation. Do a spontaneous trip to San Francisco (which I can do on 50% but only barely) which I would prefer to start with around 65-75% SoC. So just before leaving, I increased the charge limit and then started charging. This actually happened once, and I got about an hour notice. In that hour, I was able to raise the SoC to around 65-70% but it took all 48A to get there.

Or you could have stopped for 5 minutes at a SuperCharger.

<<<shrug>>>

I live in a 4 season climate, and plug in a Chevy Bolt daily when it is hot or cold weather to gain maximal thermal protection of the pack. I charge to ~ 60 - 70% routinely . I have the EVSE set to 40 Amps, but anything between 32 - 48 A would work fine so far as speed to charge goes. I have been thinking about lowering the EVSE to 32 Amps in the winter so that I don't have to give any more thought to Li-plating.

My point is that if I do anything different, it will be to *lower* the Amps.

Or you could have stopped for 5 minutes at a SuperCharger.

<<<shrug>>>

I live in a 4 season climate, and plug in a Chevy Bolt daily when it is hot or cold weather to gain maximal thermal protection of the pack. I charge to ~ 60 - 70% routinely . I have the EVSE set to 40 Amps, but anything between 32 - 48 A would work fine so far as speed to charge goes. I have been thinking about lowering the EVSE to 32 Amps in the winter so that I don't have to give any more thought to Li-plating.

My point is that if I do anything different, it will be to *lower* the Amps.
12 kW is going to do next to nothing when being pushed into a 82 kWh battery. That's less than 0.15C.

Just to get that right since I'm not sure what you mean by "installed from the panel (not connected)": do you have a main panel in the house and a sub panel in the garage? If yes, what size breaker is the sub panel connected to?
When we built the house back in 2015, I asked the electrician to install the wire in the wall for a tesla charger. As a result, I have a wire installed from the garage to the panel in the basement, but the wire was not connected on either end. My plan was always to get a tesla and I did not want to go through the hassle of running wires. I have a 200amp panel in the basement. When I called the electrician to install, he said it was easy as the wire is already there, and it is more straight forward. The charger was installed in less than 2 hours. He brought a 50 amp, however he offered to come back and replace it with it a 60 amp. The wire installed is 6 awg.

I also installed emporia energy monitoring to further understand my energy consumption and costs.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Thank you all for your feedback.

we have a Model Y on order arriving EDD is March 9-31 (that is what the app says). I have a wall charger that we have been discussing, Should I buy a mobile charger? or is 1 wall charger enough?

So far, my needs have been met with 1 charger.

Only for "emergency" usage or typically if you travel a lot. So far I've only used mine twice even though I don't have home charging. It sits on the trunk well waiting for the time it's needed.

To clarify... the two times I've used the mobile charger is: 1) to test it when I first got my car in July 2018, and 2) when I tried to charge the car overnight and found out that I plugged it in the same circuit as my garage refrigerator. There's no dedicated 120V or 240V outlet in my garage.

Reactions: Netzero71
Thank you all for your feedback.

we have a Model Y on order arriving EDD is March 9-31 (that is what the app says). I have a wall charger that we have been discussing, Should I buy a mobile charger? or is 1 wall charger enough?

So far, my needs have been met with 1 charger.
If I'm understanding your situation right, the new Model Y is your second? Some people get by with having only one EVSE for two cars. Personally, I prefer having separate plugs available for each car.

If adding another circuit is not possible (or too expensive) you could add a second wall connector, but use the existing circuit for both of them. Assuming your existing wall connector is the current Gen3 (WiFi enabled) then you can buy another one and they can be configured to share a circuit, splitting the available amperage between two cars at the same time.

Each wall connector needs its own breaker, so you would install a small load center or subpanel, feed it with the existing wiring, then install two breakers and run wire from there to each of the wall connectors.