Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger to J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If cheap is what you are looking for, Clipper Creek isn't going to be it. The 14-50 outlet would be the cheapest route by far and as suggested converting your 110 cord to 240 volt would fix your needs too.

The issue is that unlike Teslas, most other EVs cannot use a naked 14-50 or any other standard plug other than a L1 120v outlet. Other EVs must have a "Charger" (effectively, what our UMC or HPWC is) that has a J1772 on the end of it. Those chargers are almost all universally hard wired.

Tesla is the only EV out on the market at the moment that one can buy different adapters to plug the UMC into almost any standard electrical outlet. It gives Tesla a charging flexibility that is unique in the EV market, and I think entirely underrated and often overlooked.

Most of my driving would be impossible if I was limited to J1772 charging only.

The issue is that unlike Teslas, most other EVs cannot use a naked 14-50 or any other standard plug other than a L1 120v outlet. Other EVs must have a "Charger" (effectively, what our UMC or HPWC is) that has a J1772 on the end of it. Those chargers are almost all universally hard wired.

Tesla is the only EV out on the market at the moment that one can buy different adapters to plug the UMC into almost any standard electrical outlet. It gives Tesla a charging flexibility that is unique in the EV market, and I think entirely underrated and often overlooked.

The charger is in the car. The UMC is not "effectively" a charger. It connects the charger to the electrical source, just as a J1772 charging station does. In other words the UMC is a form of EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment).

Our J1772 at home is fixed hardware. The one at work, Clipper Creek, is a plug in transportable unit. If you want choices, then hit the RV store for various adapters, which are cheap.

You can buy the portable J1772 L2 charger in several flavors though, I forget which plug I did at work, but it matches my RV plug at home.

Strange tidbit. The J1772 L1 charger that is included with the 2016+ Volt is actually a 120 L1 + 240 L2 charger internally. Just add adapter, and it does both 120V or 240V plug in outlets. So if somebody wants to do L1 and L2 charging with a single device, find a used one on Ebay and make the adapter.

Last edited:
Same answer as above. Either purchase an appropriately-rated J1772 cord set online and attach it to the HPWC, or ship yours off to be converted.

I don't see info in this thread or inyour helpful FAQ re:

1. purchase an appropriately-rated J1772 cord set online and attach it to the HPWC, or
2. ship yours off to be converted or
3. do it yourself.

Where is this info on sellers of the J1772 cord set that attaches to the HPWC, or places that convert, or instructions for DIY?

thanks.