Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector and load balancing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. Currently awaiting delivery of a M3 and want to get a charger sorted. I was looking at the Tesla wall connector. I see that this has load balancing but I get the impression this only works with other Tesla chargers. I also have an electric shower in the house. Is the only option to fit a priority switch in this situation or is there a better way??

Hi, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. Currently awaiting delivery of a M3 and want to get a charger sorted. I was looking at the Tesla wall connector. I see that this has load balancing but I get the impression this only works with other Tesla chargers. I also have an electric shower in the house. Is the only option to fit a priority switch in this situation or is there a better way??

Load sharing / balancing is only between Tesla Wall Connectors. As to your electrical question, this may be an electrical code issue that might be best posed to your electrician.

Reactions: LoudMusic
You’re right, it is a question I’ll ask an electrician but I wanted to be a little more informed first.

I wasn’t seeking advice on how to fit it. I guess I just wanted to hear some real world experiences of fitting a tesla charger with an electric shower. It must be a common enough setup.

I may not even go for the Tesla charger as there seems to be more integrated solutions out there

The electric shower will have no impact. You need to do a load calculation on the main panel and determine how many amps you can safely add to a new circuit. The Tesla Wall Connector can be configured to provide whatever amps your breaker supports up to a 60A max (48A continuous load) circuit.

If your panel does not have room for any extra circuits because of your electric shower then you may need to add capacity.

Code doesn't care that you won't run your electric shower at the same time as charging your car. You COULD do it, so there needs to be capacity for both in the event it happens.

Code doesn't care that you won't run your electric shower at the same time as charging your car. You COULD do it, so there needs to be capacity for both in the event it happens.
Thus his question if a priority switch is necessary. That would automatically disconnect the HPWC the moment the tankless electric water heater kicks in. That would make it impossible to charge the car and run a hot shower at the same time.

This company makes devices that monitor your electric load and cut off EV charging if the load gets too high. They are not cheap.

A lot of people overlook the possibility of simply putting in a smaller circuit. Even a 240v/20a circuit can work for many people. When you have an electrician look at this, don't just ask them for a 60a or 50a circuit. Ask them what the largest circuit is you can install without incurring major costs.