Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what to say...the cord was definitely hot, not warm, but I didn't measure the temperature. There are now perhaps half a dozen places along the cord where it is deformed or blistered or wavy. I have the longer cord version of the GEN 3, 18' I think, and generally the deformations are closer to the unit as it was cooler the closer the cord was to the car. I was charging at 48 A for 4 hours.
Holy cow. I will check my cord (also 18') but don't think there's any damage to mine. I definitely had several multi-hour 48A charges until about mid-July, when it started cutting back to 24A. Since I found that 36A works, I've had several multi-hour charges at 36A with no cutting back. But I want my 48A back, of course.

I received a return label 11 days ago and have seen and heard nothing since. I need to call again tomorrow and see if they're sending me a replacement, or what.

This is super annoying. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since this started and 3.5 weeks since I was able to get in touch with someone at Tesla. In hindsight I wish I would have had the electrician piggy back a 14-50 off of the HPWC, but I wanted a clean look.

I doubt this is going to be resolved any time soon and plan go ahead and add a nema 14-50 to future proof my EV experience. Plus I have a gen 1 40 amp UMC.

Update: received replacement Gen 3 Wall Connector and installed today (it's the same part number BTW:
1457768-01-F). Commissioned and setup with 60A/240V supply and 48A charging- same as defective unit. Performed my first charge which went for 1hr 30min at the full 48A. This is the longest it has been able to stay at 48A since this problem arose. I'm cautiously optimistic. Will be doing some longer charges as soon as I have a chance to run down my battery further.

Update: received replacement Gen 3 Wall Connector and installed today (it's the same part number BTW:
1457768-01-F). Commissioned and setup with 60A/240V supply and 48A charging- same as defective unit. Performed my first charge which went for 1hr 30min at the full 48A. This is the longest it has been able to stay at 48A since this problem arose. I'm cautiously optimistic. Will be doing some longer charges as soon as I have a chance to run down my battery further.
Please do keep us posted with updates once you've had a few charges under your belt. Same firmware, I assume?

EDIT - and for what it is worth, I called to confirm I have a replacement coming, it just hasn't gotten here yet. I got my return label about ten days ago.

Last edited:
That's the same part number as mine with the issue.
I just spent several hours today with Tesla customer service and finally learned that they need to create a firmware fix or replace the unit. However, the wait for both could be over a month according to the customer service representative. Why would you want an electric vehicle if you can't charge it at home correctly?

Reactions: kayak1
Please do keep us posted with updates once you've had a few charges under your belt. Same firmware, I assume?

EDIT - and for what it is worth, I called to confirm I have a replacement coming, it just hasn't gotten here yet. I got my return label about ten days ago.
I guess I can't edit this old post again, but I wanted to note my replacement arrived today. I'm not thrilled to be re-installing this myself, but it sounds easy, like even I can't mess it up. Probably will swap it out within a day or two. In the meantime, more updates from those who have replaced theirs would help. It sounds hit or miss still.

I just installed my new one this afternoon. One charge under my belt now, only 1.5 hours long but it stayed at 48A the whole time, where the old unit was not able to make it past 45 or 50 minutes without dropping to 24A. Never did the 3 red blinks. Cord did get noticeably warm after an hour or so, though. The conduit feeding into the wall charger was also warm. Neither were "hot," but definitely warm, like if you left something black lying out in the hot sun. The plug end into the car was not warm at all.

The firmware on the new unit was 0.8.55. I went ahead and put it on WiFi, so I suspect it will update to 0.8.58 soon enough. I'll keep it at 48A and hope for the best. If it stops working, hopefully it will still work at 36A like the prior one, which could go nonstop at 36A.

Ugh. I’m disheartened to read all of these posts. I’ve had my TWC Gen 3 installed since June and have had zero issues. Then yesterday I started experiencing the 3 red light issue, charge slowing, etc. I’m on 0.8.58. I’m going to call Tesla home charging tomorrow when they open...dreading that I might be on the phone all day.

So just to sum up my experience...bought new Gen 3...got the three red lights with ramp down of charging rate...got a replacement unit...did not get three red lights but cord so hot that it blistered and and bubbled...sent it back and got a Gen 2...so far so good with that unit and not expecting any problems.

Reactions: zone121
I’ve had my TWC Gen 3 installed since June and have had zero issues. Then yesterday I started experiencing the 3 red light issue

Unfortunately this is the common denominator among the 9 pages of this thread (so far)... the Gen 3's started to fail several weeks/months after installation, so it's too soon to tell if the replacement units are good enough... considering they don't heat up and blister.

I really hope this is fixable with a software update, but Tesla needs to step up its communications game. As previously mentioned, they need to proactively address all it's customers who bought the affected units and let them know what's going on and how they are going to fix this issue.

I'm certainly no Tesla parts comptroller, but since it's launch on January 15th, 2020, there must be at least tens of thousands of these units out there worldwide, *and using Reddit and TMC as a very very very small sample*, it seems that the affected number of units are still in the low digits.

I've been doing Crisis/Risk Management for over 30 years and this, along with battery/chargegate, MCU1 failures, overall service declines, parts management, and specially non-existent corporate communications to employees and customers, is just plain irresponsible and dangerous...

#JustMy2¢

Reactions: zone121
Got my replacement the other day while I was out of town, and installed it today. Same part number as before (I'd be surprised they wouldn't bump the rev level for a significant change but maybe they only bump component levels and not the kit); also came with .55 but assume it will update as mentioned. Been charging now at 48A for an hour and will report back. I still suspect a firmware/temp sensor interaction since it started around the same time for everyone and only some seem to have "actual" overheating issues.

My gen 3 wall unit has been installed for a little over a month and I just started getting the 3 flashing red lights. I am not seeing an error when i log into the Tesla app or within the car. I assumed it was due to the heat wave we are in and the fact that my garage has been 100+ degrees even at night when I have the charger set to go from midnight to 6am. Currently on firmware 8.58 and when i check the cables and the charger they don't feel overly hot to me.

My gen 3 wall unit has been installed for a little over a month and I just started getting the 3 flashing red lights. I am not seeing an error when i log into the Tesla app or within the car. I assumed it was due to the heat wave we are in and the fact that my garage has been 100+ degrees even at night when I have the charger set to go from midnight to 6am. Currently on firmware 8.58 and when i check the cables and the charger they don't feel overly hot to me.

I received my replacement and currently using it in my garage with the California heat wave happening. I am still getting 48 amp charging. Hope the replacement is a permanent fix.

Reactions: Art VandeIay