Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Price Drop to $495 from $550 [ordered direct from tesla]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, your "airport" example isnt necessary a good one, because:

1. You ran it down on purpose so put yourself in that circumstance on purpose AND
2. You were going on a trip, and "going on a trip" is when most of us who say "its fine to not schlep the mobile connector around daily" say "this is the one instance when taking it from home might be useful, when going on a trip.
This was one trip where the probability of either forgetting it or intentionally not taking it (since the trip didn't involve a lot of charging stops or, say, going to a rental house where I knew I'd have to charge) would be high. I've certainly forgotten to take certain items in the scramble to get out the door before a trip, especially when it involves transportation that has fixed times (like airline travel) and being just 5 minutes late can mean missing a flight. And my point is, you cannot forget something if it's always in the car to begin with.

This was one trip where the probability of either forgetting it or intentionally not taking it (since the trip didn't involve a lot of charging stops or, say, going to a rental house where I knew I'd have to charge) would be high. I've certainly forgotten to take certain items in the scramble to get out the door before a trip, especially when it involves transportation that has fixed times (like airline travel) and being just 5 minutes late can mean missing a flight. And my point is, you cannot forget something if it's always in the car to begin with.
Your use case, where you apparently take airline trips frequently planning to leave the car where it needs to be recharging from an outlet in the airport parking lot, is not typical of most drivers.

Indeed, over several years of driving EVs (non-Tesla and Tesla), I have not had to use the mobile EVSE at all away from home. The Tesla mobile connector is now on the wall in the garage because the old wall mount EVSE that was plugged in there did not play nicely with the Tesla for some reason.

• Love
Reactions: pjensen and Rocky_H