Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector question..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really not required to have this much juice. You do know all 3 can be hooked up to a single 60a circuit right? they are rather smart as they regulate charge as required to each unit. Lets say you have 3 cars plugged in but 2 are fully charged, the third get the full capacity of the charger. If 2 cars need charging then they will both receive half the capacity of the charger. 1 car plugged in will get full capacity of the charger.

This is not true. The manual specifically states that each charger is on it's own branch.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Well I guess we are both slightly wrong. This is straight from the manual however this was 6 months ago. It may be active now which I do not know. I do know if I get another EV I will go this route for installation and power share assuming it is active at that point in time.

"Power Sharing Overview
This feature will be available in a future over-the-air firmware update.

The firmware-based power sharing feature enables up to 16 Wall Connectors installed at the same site to intelligently share the site's total available power via unit-to-unit Wi-Fi. This minimizes the need for many residential and commercial applications to have specific electrical upgrades for concurrent multi-vehicle charging."

This is similar to pulling into a Supercharging station when packed and you see lower MPH charging as you are sharing the main feed with others, same principle. See page 23 here.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Langzaiguy
Well I guess we are both slightly wrong. This is straight from the manual however this was 6 months ago. It may be active now which I do not know. I do know if I get another EV I will go this route for installation and power share assuming it is active at that point in time.

"Power Sharing Overview
This feature will be available in a future over-the-air firmware update.

The firmware-based power sharing feature enables up to 16 Wall Connectors installed at the same site to intelligently share the site's total available power via unit-to-unit Wi-Fi. This minimizes the need for many residential and commercial applications to have specific electrical upgrades for concurrent multi-vehicle charging."

This is similar to pulling into a Supercharging station when pack and you see lower MPH chargimg as you are sharing the main feed with others, same principle. See page 23 here.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

You're quoting a marketing paragraph but skipping all the technical details. It clearly says on page 23 and 24 that each Wall Connector should be on its own branch circuit.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I believe you can pre-wire for additional Wall Connectors to be on the same branch circuit; i.e. 100A branch circuit would be required if you eventually want (2) Wall Connectors to each be capable of individually charging at 48A maximum, 40A simultaneously when there is a second Wall Connector charging. You will not be able to install the second Wall Connector until Tesla releases the needed firmware.

I believe you can pre-wire for additional Wall Connectors to be on the same branch circuit; i.e. 100A branch circuit would be required if you eventually want (2) Wall Connectors to each be capable of individually charging at 48A maximum, 40A simultaneously when there is a second Wall Connector charging. You will not be able to install the second Wall Connector until Tesla releases the needed firmware.

I believe gen 2 could share a single branch (like my setup at home) but gen 3 require requires one circuit per unit. The gen 3 units will reduce their consumption to maintain a total combined load below whatever you set in software (future update).

Last edited:
I believe gen 2 could share a single branch (like my setup at home) but gen 3 require requires one circuit per unit. The gen 3 units will reduce their consumption to maintain a total combined load below whatever you set in software.
Then what would be the purpose of load sharing? If I have to have (2) branch circuits, each on a 50A breaker, how would load sharing help?

Reactions: Langzaiguy
Then what would be the purpose of load sharing? If I have to have (2) branch circuits, each on a 50A breaker, how would load sharing help?

This is a great question, and I myself asked the same thing. But because the manual says what it says, and there is currently no way to prove that it works on a single circuit, it's hard to assume anything else. If things change in the future then we'll know. Quite frankly throwing out misinformation may make someone think they can run two Gen 3 Wall Connectors on a single 60A circuit and may cause trouble for them. I'm just repeating what the manual says.

[Service Panel: 100A breaker] ==========[Wall Connector #1]...==========...[Future Wall Connector #2]

Wall Connector #1 can immediately be used, can charge a Tesla vehicle at up to 48A.

You pre-wire for Future Wall Connector #2; the wires are capped, not connected. Wait to install Wall Connector #2 since it can't be activated on the circuit until Tesla releases updated Wall Connector firmware.

When Tesla releases the updated Wall Connector firmware you complete the installation of Wall Connector #2.
Either Wall Connector #1 or #2 can charge at up to 48A whenever the other Wall Connector is not charging.
When both Wall Connector #1 and Wall Connector #2 are charging each Wall Connector can charge at up to 40A on the same 100A circuit.

This would be a somewhat less expensive alternative to installing two 60A branch circuits.

If you needed a 3rd Wall Connector you would be able to add Wall Connector #3 to the circuit however when all three Wall Connectors were charging they would each be limited to a maximum of 24A.

Last edited:

The point would be to not overload the total capacity available. Say you have a 100 amp sub panel and want to install three wall connectors to use the total available power. You could wire them up to three 60 amp circuits and set their software limit to 100 amps. Each unit would get full power individually, but combined they would only load up to 80 amps. I believe this is how @MorrisonHiker has his three gen 2 units setup.

I guess at the end if they day, the wall connectors don’t care if they have individual circuits or a shared circuit, and will only load to the total that’s set in the configuration.

The table is missing the standard range Y, which has a max of 32 amps. This has been confirmed by SR Y owners in other threads.
I am tempting to get a Wall Connector, but if the max charging current of SR MY is 32A then there is no benefits for me, since I can charge my MY with a NEMA 14-50 outlet at 32A. Is there any way to confirm that SR MY charger is limited to 32A?
TIA

I am tempting to get a Wall Connector, but if the max charging current of SR MY is 32A then there is no benefits for me, since I can charge my MY with a NEMA 14-50 outlet at 32A. Is there any way to confirm that SR MY charger is limited to 32A?
TIA
The battery pack used in the SR MY is the same battery pack used in the SR+ M3, the maximum Level 2 charging for this battery pack in the SR+ M3 and the SR MY is 240V and 32 amps.

TIA
I have a SR too and am now seeing this confirmed multiple places online, the Standard Range Model Y is limited to 32A charging speed.

Reactions: nnTsl
As with all battery types, the larger the battery, the quicker it can safely charge. All these little things add up when one decides on a SR version, yes it is cheaper and we all know they have less range however not many consider you will be at the charging station longer and do not have the option to charge at 48 amps at home. Wonder what the actual difference in charge time is at the supercharger?

I am new to this site as we have just ordered a "Y"... what is the purpose of the WiFi on the connection??? If we just hook up to a 14-50 the current will flow?
Another question is do you hook up to the Nema outlet first or last or does it matter??? Thanks.

I am new to this site as we have just ordered a "Y"... what is the purpose of the WiFi on the connection??? If we just hook up to a 14-50 the current will flow?
Another question is do you hook up to the Nema outlet first or last or does it matter??? Thanks.
The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit so normally there is no NEMA receptacle, i.e. 14-50R. Some have installed a NEMA 14-50 plug on the Wall Connector, if you do this you must set the Wall Connector for use on a 50 amp circuit. If you hard wire then you could use the Wall Connector on a 60 amp circuit, maximum charging amperage would be 48 amps (instead of 40 amps with the 14-50 plug.) Even if you don't plan on installing a 60 amp circuit the hard wired installation is in most cased preferable to the NEMA 14-50 plug. The biggest advantage is that the hard wired installation will be fully sealed, rated for use in all weather conditions. Whenever you have a power plug and a receptacle there is always a chance for water to get into the plug connection.

There are two ways that WiFi is used with the Wall Connector. When installing the Wall Connector the unit has it's own Wi-Fi hot spot for connecting your phone or computer so you can setup the Wall Connector. The other way that the Wall Connector will use WiFi is for over the air updates from Tesla. This requires the Wall Connector be able to connect to a WiFi network with access to the internet. In the future the WiFi connection will enable load sharing of two Wall Connectors on a single circuit, may support additional capabilities including billing.

I installed my Tesla wall charger myself. I used a 50 amp circuit breaker. Simple install and it took less than two hours. Btw, I am not an electrician but a self taught mechanic.
Same here except more close to a days insatllation due to additional items. I installed a 100amp sub panel and a dedicated 60a breaker for the wall connector and a 40a breaker for the spa. Had the garage door motor on a garage circuit feeding other receptacles in the garage so I also moved this to a dedicated 15a breaker in the panel. Tied into the main entrance in the garage. Total cost was about $500 in materials.