Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - TERRIBLE SOFTWARE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you don't want to deal with it and don't want to hear about it, but whenever you do need to use a J1772 plug, getting them out is really simple and foolproof, but there is a technique. Don't leave the adapter in the port. Press AND HOLD the release latch on the J1772 handle, which will unlock the port in the car, but then grab hold of the adapter with your other hand and pull them out together. No need for messing around with the mobile app or the touch screen in the car to unlock or release anything. Here's a video that shows it.

There’s even an easier way on a chargepoint and I assume most other chargers that’s one handed. It‘s really maybe 1/2 second slower then pushing the button. The only issue with the adapter is when plugging in if you walk away from the car and it locks you need to unlock the charge port by opening the door/app. But that happens maybe 1/40 plugins for me. Was worth it for me because of the $500 rebate I got for the chargepoint.

1. Click the charger release button once, it unlocks the chargeport, and releases the lock on the adapter
2. Slightly push the charging cable back in so it latches the adapter
3. Pull out the charging cable and the adapter will still be attached.

There’s even an easier way on a chargepoint and I assume most other chargers that’s one handed.
...which does not work for me and MANY other people.
1. Click the charger release button once, it unlocks the chargeport, and releases the lock on the adapter
2. Slightly push the charging cable back in so it latches the adapter
3. Pull out the charging cable and the adapter will still be attached.

Nope. We've been over that for a few years.

Some people can get that to work some of the time and it seems to be on newer cars. You are assuming in step 1. that when you release the latch button it doesn't immediately re-lock the charge port locking pin back into the adapter, but that is exactly what happens on mine. For some people, if they do that click and release, it sometimes keeps the port unlocked for several extra seconds--enough time to get to your steps 2. and 3. But that NEVER works on mine. It will always immediately relock onto the adapter as soon as I release the latch on the J1772.

I think this is something to do with how various ages and models of cars are made to work. Mine is an older Model S. Yours is probably a newer Model 3 or Y. So maybe it works for yours but it definitely doesn't work on mine and a lot of the older cars.

So I give my recommendation because it will ALWAYS work for EVERYONE on EVERY car. There's no need to figure out which cars are made to be able to work with your method.

...which does not work for me and MANY other people.

Nope. We've been over that for a few years.

Some people can get that to work some of the time and it seems to be on newer cars. You are assuming in step 1. that when you release the latch button it doesn't immediately re-lock the charge port locking pin back into the adapter, but that is exactly what happens on mine. For some people, if they do that click and release, it sometimes keeps the port unlocked for several extra seconds--enough time to get to your steps 2. and 3. But that NEVER works on mine. It will always immediately relock onto the adapter as soon as I release the latch on the J1772.

I think this is something to do with how various ages and models of cars are made to work. Mine is an older Model S. Yours is probably a newer Model 3 or Y. So maybe it works for yours but it definitely doesn't work on mine and a lot of the older cars.

So I give my recommendation because it will ALWAYS work for EVERYONE on EVERY car. There's no need to figure out which cars are made to be able to work with your method.
Interesting never heard that. On the newer cars I guess, it’s pretty easy to get used to and works well with the method I described. Someone had mentioned it once to me and I was like doh why the hell was I doing it the other way.

Really frustrating, mine said no internet and then proceeded to do the update, unfortunately no way to check if it really worked. Did do an update check and said it was upto date, all the time saying no internet connection , this is a really poor application. Hope the car software is better!

Really frustrating, mine said no internet and then proceeded to do the update, unfortunately no way to check if it really worked. Did do an update check and said it was upto date, all the time saying no internet connection
I've seen a lot of people misunderstand that, and it sounds like you may be too. Seeing the message "no internet connection" is probably not talking about the wall connector, but is from your phone. If your phone is connected directly to the wall connector's hotspot, the phone will properly report to you a message that the phone has no internet connection. That's true. A lot of people have seen that message and mistake what it means.

Co
I've seen a lot of people misunderstand that, and it sounds like you may be too. Seeing the message "no internet connection" is probably not talking about the wall connector, but is from your phone. If your phone is connected directly to the wall connector's hotspot, the phone will properly report to you a message that the phone has no internet connection. That's true. A lot of people have seen that message and mistake what it means.
Correct. Your phone is telling you there is no internet/data on the wall connector signal.

That's ok. Join, change settings, etc. Then disconnect. Then wall connector can join your home wifi and do it's thing....

Very good point, my wifi says that my connection is to the charger but with no wifi, I can then use browser to access the access software. Which it says is now upto date. Thanks again for explaining a point that many have missed.

I just setup a new gen3 charger and connected to it via wifi. I had configured this one into load sharing on my other gen3 charger, which is the leader. It errored, so I removed it. Now it believes it's still being controlled by the leader, and when I try to install the firmware, it just spins. I've tried 3 different browsers on my mac.