Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you comparing it to the mobile connector? Remember, the mobile connector maxes out at 32amps, where as the wall connector is 40 amps. On the Model Y, that's 7 miles per hour difference. Is it worth it? I guess it depends. Plenty of people use the mobile connector, but I prefer to use my wall connector. I leave the mobile in the car for when I am traveling or in case of an emergency, I'll have it in the car and can plug in just about anywhere with the adapter kit.

Doesn't the wall connector max out 48 amp?? Not sure and too lazy to look it up.

1) It was worth it to because I wanted to go "Full Tesla Immersion Mode". 2) When you're at $62,000 for a car, what's another $500?? 3) Just remember, "Anything worth doing, is worth over doing"!!

Yes, the HPWC maxes at 48 amps. (more on a Gen2 with appropriate model S or X, but since this is a Y forum, 48 is an appropriate answer)

Doesn't the wall connector max out 48 amp?? Not sure and too lazy to look it up.

1) It was worth it to because I wanted to go "Full Tesla Immersion Mode". 2) When you're at $62,000 for a car, what's another $500?? 3) Just remember, "Anything worth doing, is worth over doing"!!
Yup, you are right. I got lost in the 50amp circuit part of the OP's post.

Are you comparing it to the mobile connector? Remember, the mobile connector maxes out at 32amps, where as the wall connector is 40 amps. On the Model Y, that's 7 miles per hour difference. Is it worth it? I guess it depends. Plenty of people use the mobile connector, but I prefer to use my wall connector. I leave the mobile in the car for when I am traveling or in case of an emergency, I'll have it in the car and can plug in just about anywhere with the adapter kit.
My bad I should have clarified.. yes the mobile connector with 50amp plug on the wall vs the wall connector. I wasn't aware that they maxed out at 32amps and 40amps. I guess my question should have been, is there a big difference in charging times and miles between the 2 and you answered my question saying its 7miles per hour difference. Might have to think about that one. I don't use my regular car as much now because I'm working from home and only going to the office once a week. But that might change when I get my MY and I start going to office more often (or my husband uses my car when he goes to work and I'm working from home)... I have to see if it's worth spending the extra $ for a faster charge or if I'll be okay with just the mobile connector.

It will take 2/3 as long to charge on the Wall connector as it does on the mobile connector. So, if you drive enough that you are dead empty and need to charge to chock a block full, the mobile connector can do that in 10 hours, so you can still get a full charge over night. It would take a bit less than 7 hours to do the same full charge from empty on the wall connector.

Keith

Reactions: GSP
I already have a ChargePoint J1772 EVSE for my Bolt EV (32 amp) so I will just use that with the J1772 adapter on weekends, and we now have charging at work, so week days are covered as well. My mobil connector will stay in the car with some additional adpaters for visiting relatives / camping.

Keith

Exactly. Most do not "need" it, but what price would you put on the cool factor? A Tesla WC looks much cooler than a mobile connector stuck on a peg in your garage.😸

I got it for the following reasons in order of importance:

1 - Safety: young kids and super powerful outlets in the garage didn’t seem like a good mix. Young kids, or at least mine, do really really stupid things. It’s a closed system that is, in my opinion, safer.
2 - Future-proofing: this is my first Tesla but not my last. The ability to charge at the full 48amps is pretty meaningless for a Y, but borderline necessary for a current gen X. Who knows the requirements of next gen batteries.
3 - Aesthetics: let’s face it, the thing looks dope.

Reactions: Chemios

yes, my wall connector max out at 48AM and I have a 60A amp wiring ( 80% will deliver 48 amp).

Functionally, you'd probably be perfectly fine with the 14-50 outlet and Mobile Connector. Speaking as someone who has two Wall Connectors, I really didn't need them at all to be honest and 7 extra miles is probably not worth the extra $500 before rebates. This also has the added benefit of retaining a 240v outlet so if you have anything you need powered at 240v or decide to get a different charger down the road, it's plug and play.

Aesthetically, I love the way those new Wall Connectors look and the promise of future updates is very cool!

Bought it mostly to be able to unlock the charge port from without having to get inside the car... I was using a 50Amps chargepoint charger until then.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed. Why does the wall charger have wifi? What's the point if there is no application integration and an empty web app? No time of day charge either? No power consumption details? My chargepoint unit did all these things...