Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A button? A camera? Is it worth waiting for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a vin for my MXP. But now that renders on the site show something under the hood, I'm wondering if I should wait. If it's either a camera or a frunk button then those are something I'd want. But it could be a shadow too. Who knows how long I would have to wait if I skip this delivery.

If I put order on hold, does that mean I can't refuse delivery next time (in case I find an issue)?

If I put my order on hold, when I lift the hold do I go back to end of the line?

Not sure how everyone is saying it is a shadow.. We did not see this shadow till last week and suddenly it is there. This can be either frunk button or camera
There is always hope.

But if you're gonna wait ... you'll never buy. There's always someting to wait for. As soon as you buy, you'll be missing out on the next new thing.

the camera is a big deal to me. the reviews on youtube of non-USS teslas are atrocious. not saying I will never by a MX without front camera/USS, but our current tesla Y works just fine. upgrading would be sweet, but not having front sensing is enough of a red flag that I am pumping the brakes on upgrading until I see what happens in the future. Our ICE SUV does not have USS in the front and the front camera comes in clutch. still a bit lacking around the corners, though. never know exactly how close I am. makes parallel parking quite difficult.

the camera is a big deal to me. the reviews on youtube of non-USS teslas are atrocious. not saying I will never by a MX without front camera/USS, but our current tesla Y works just fine. upgrading would be sweet, but not having front sensing is enough of a red flag that I am pumping the brakes on upgrading until I see what happens in the future. Our ICE SUV does not have USS in the front and the front camera comes in clutch. still a bit lacking around the corners, though. never know exactly how close I am. makes parallel parking quite difficult.
The camera doesn’t magically make this less atrocious. Especially one buried and inset relative to the Tesla logo. How is that “camera” going to see the passenger side bumper corner?

Not to mention the rear camera has excellent direct view but still frequently produces completely nonsensical distance readings if you’re not backing into a high contrast smooth Tesla bumper.

Sorry but as much as we want to hope, even if that shadow is a front bumper cam it is not going to magically solve all of the problems caused by USS removal or lack of 360 top down view.

The camera doesn’t magically make this less atrocious. Especially one buried and inset relative to the Tesla logo. How is that “camera” going to see the passenger side bumper corner?

Not to mention the rear camera has excellent direct view but still frequently produces completely nonsensical distance readings if you’re not backing into a high contrast smooth Tesla bumper.

Sorry but as much as we want to hope, even if that shadow is a front bumper cam it is not going to magically solve all of the problems caused by USS removal or lack of 360 top down view.
However, if there is a front bumper camera, creating a top-down view become something that can be done and delivered with a software update. This is a problem solved well over a decade ago by other manufactures, and the front bumper camera is the hardware Tesla lacked to implement it a solution.

Reactions: StevenSD and gsxdsm
However, if there is a front bumper camera, creating a top-down view become something that can be done and delivered with a software update. This is a problem solved well over a decade ago by other manufactures, and the front bumper camera is the hardware Tesla lacked to implement it a solution.
Most cars also use mirror mounted downward fisheye wide angle cameras to provide a good view of the front bumpers as well as a more height corrected look at the sides of the car. I think a proper front bumper camera in terms of a super wide angle right in the center bottom portion like on the Highland rendering can come close but the geometry of front steering cars usually results in the front bumper corners needing more coverage.

IMO a proper version of this feature would also add two cameras mounted on the mirror looking down.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Sigh Teslascope is at it again. HW4 has one extra unpopulated camera channel. Why would the front park assist camera be on the corner of one headlight at a strangely recessed point? One on each side is barely believable

Based off the track record they have, I would take Teslascope rumors with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: zoomer0056