Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will not honor trade-in amount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WARNING! Be aware that Tesla may not honor your trade-in quote on the day of delivery. I am very sorry to report that this is happening to me. I received a written trade-in quote for my Model 3 on October 2nd and thus ordered a new Model S (LR, nothing extra) on October 5th. I was told that the S would be here in 2-3 weeks. Instead it has taken 8+ weeks. One business day before the proposed day of delivery, I was informed that Tesla will not be honoring the quote they gave me in October, even though the salesman confirmed in November that the quote was still good and that I could put up to 1700 miles on the Model 3. Instead they are giving me $2200 less for my clean Model 3 that still only has 1096 miles on it. This will of course increase my monthly payments. The new S will be my 3rd Tesla and I have always had excellent service from Tesla. It is too late to sell the Model 3 – plus I save so much in taxes by trading instead of selling that it makes no sense. The Tesla salesman tried to get the original trade-in quote honored by going to “higher ups.” But for some reason, Tesla is refusing to honor the quote. It is certainly not my fault that it has taken so long for the S to get here so I don’t understand why Tesla is choosing to be so unfair in this situation. I am seriously considering refusing the new car.

Give the guy a break. Tesla is the reason for the expiration. Originally they quoted 2-3 weeks but it took 8. I would be upset too. It even sounds like he checked back in during the delay but it isn’t clear if that was >30 days and if this quote expiry situation was specifically discussed.

I’d say this is a good reminder for everyone that Tesla’s trade ins are only good for 30 days. That’s the policy and they have every right to drop the price after that 30, and probably should. With many models taking longer than that for delivery, it is a good idea to ask and get in writing/email what will happen if the delivery takes more than 30 days.

@Moderator please correct thread title to “Tesla will not honor expired trade-in amount”.

$2200 less for a car that barely has over 1,000 miles on it ? It is 2 months later, but what is the justification, have Model 3 market values fallen that much, or was the original estimate just too good to last ?

I got a verbal estimate for my 2018 Model S 100D on October 1st, nothing in writing. I ordered without a written estimate and did not take delivery of the new car until November 13th. When they valued my car at delivery (40+ days later), however, it was only $100 less, even though I had put 2000 additional miles (17,000 miles to 19,000 miles).

I might have just been lucky, but the value for my 2018 MS 100D was not that great, $64.3k for a car originally $107k new that I had less than 1 year, 19K miles.

I would have probably still gotten the new car if Tesla offered $2K less for my trade. I would have lost more than that on the sales tax credit and the new MS is terrific.

I believe that most trade in quotes are subject to physical evaluation of the car.

If trade in had some issues that might have resulted in the reduction. Also because of the delay in picking up the new car, perhaps the market value had changed.

Trade in price is not an absolute promise. It is a good faith estimated, subject to the conditions of the agreement.

Reactions: Akikiki
$2200 less for a car that barely has over 1,000 miles on it ? It is 2 months later, but what is the justification, have Model 3 market values fallen that much, or was the original estimate just too good to last ?

I got a verbal estimate for my 2018 Model S 100D on October 1st, nothing in writing. I ordered without a written estimate and did not take delivery of the new car until November 13th. When they valued my car at delivery (40+ days later), however, it was only $100 less, even though I had put 2000 additional miles (17,000 miles to 19,000 miles).

I might have just been lucky, but the value for my 2018 MS 100D was not that great, $64.3k for a car originally $107k new that I had less than 1 year, 19K miles.

I would have probably still gotten the new car if Tesla offered $2K less for my trade. I would have lost more than that on the sales tax credit and the new MS is terrific.

shiiiiiit. i would have given you more than $64k for that car. I just paid that much for my 75D 2018

shiiiiiit. i would have given you more than $64k for that car. I just paid that much for my 75D 2018

No kidding, my old 2018 MS100D going to be a great car for someone. Just a year old without a scratch on it, had full front PPF and 3M ceramic tint (including the windshield), no battery degradation, low phantom drain and used very low W/mile.

I should have posted my car here first, maybe when I trade my 2020 MS 100D in I will try to sell it here first.

Reactions: Akikiki
I didn't see him say here that he had still be discussing or complaining about it with Tesla. Was he still trying to persuade them to return to their original deal. It looked like he was only venting here. So if he was only venting here why would they change their offer?