Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Will Not Sell Me LTE Upgrade To Install Myself On Out Of Warranty Vehicle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 that is not under warranty. I had to replace the MCU screen and want to do the plug and play upgrade while it is out because 3g will be obsolete by 2022. I live in Southern California and called the Agoura Hills parts department to see if they had one in stock. He tried to tell me that I cannot buy one without them installing it because it needed to be programmed. From what I have seen and read, that is not true. Why should I have to put my car back together and bring it into Tesla for them to charge me labor for a plug and play install? Again, that part of my car is not under warranty. I have called and sent multiple e mails to Tesla and have had no response. Does anybody have any advice on how to get them to listen? This is also allowing dealers to price gouge on used LTE modems.

I recommend you call around to some other SC's Of course don't tell any of them that one said, no, you have to have them install it. There's a video on how to floating around on Youtube. In the video, the 'guy' said, he bought the board from Tesla and they were able to update the cell data system to his new SIM. BUT he had to leave the old SIM with them at the time, so they knew someone was not abusing Tesla's connectivity elsewhere using the old one.

So, you might find one new but be prepared to turn your old SIM in when you pick it up. And the LTE SIM is differently programmed (or something) than the 3G.

I recommend you call around to some other SC's Of course don't tell any of them that one said, no, you have to have them install it. There's a video on how to floating around on Youtube. In the video, the 'guy' said, he bought the board from Tesla and they were able to update the cell data system to his new SIM. BUT he had to leave the old SIM with them at the time, so they knew someone was not abusing Tesla's connectivity elsewhere using the old one.

So, you might find one new but be prepared to turn your old SIM in when you pick it up. And the LTE SIM is differently programmed (or something) than the 3G.
I cannot get a hold of anybody and I left two other messages for parts departments in different locations. They do not return calls. Not sure whom I can complain too?

They are now not allowed to sell them to customers anymore out here. I paid about $100 more but I do not have the time to argue with Tesla, their customer service is horrible as it is! Funny thing that I read about Elon Musk and liking to wrench into his own cars. They need to start stepping up to the plate and making their customers happy before Ford and Chevy get their heads out of their butts and make a comparable car for less. Thanks for the thought.

They are now not allowed to sell them to customers anymore out here. I paid about $100 more but I do not have the time to argue with Tesla, their customer service is horrible as it is! Funny thing that I read about Elon Musk and liking to wrench into his own cars. They need to start stepping up to the plate and making their customers happy before Ford and Chevy get their heads out of their butts and make a comparable car for less. Thanks for the thought.
I agree, this is such an easy part to replace. I am happy I got lucky and got the parts prior to them locking them down.

Maybe this is just another Elon strategy on how to make Tesla profitable. $500 for LTE upgrade has more profit in it than $120 kit sale. Just like $2K or $3K for a refurb MCU while keeping the old one, instead of just replacing the Tegra board for $100 (which they might just be doing when refurbishing the the MCU). When Elon sets his sights on something, he does not hold back. Today his #1 goal is profit, so he's milking the monopoly Tesla got by going with the no-dealerships model. And you thought the dealers were ripping people off, Elon takes it to a whole new level ($2K or $3K for a $100 part + couple of hours of labor).

Maybe this is just another Elon strategy on how to make Tesla profitable. $500 for LTE upgrade has more profit in it than $120 kit sale. Just like $2K or $3K for a refurb MCU while keeping the old one, instead of just replacing the Tegra board for $100 (which they might just be doing when refurbishing the the MCU). When Elon sets his sights on something, he does not hold back. Today his #1 goal is profit, so he's milking the monopoly Tesla got by going with the no-dealerships model. And you thought the dealers were ripping people off, Elon takes it to a whole new level ($2K or $3K for a $100 part + couple of hours of labor).

The LTE thing would not be so bad if 3G was not rumored to shutdown in a couple years.

We will try to help with this where we can and keep things competitive and give people a choice. We truly appreciate all the support we have received from TMC and it's members. We cant do this alone.

They do really werid things with parts prices. Some stuff is pretty cheap (cost less that I would expect) then other things are crazy, like the door handle switch, over $100 for 2 micro switches, wires, and a connector..

Last edited: