Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't transfer my vanity plate from trade-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is fun. My appointment is later this month (excited!). I'm trading in and wanted to keep my (vanity) plate. Apparently, due to high volumes, they can't accommodate plate swaps. So I can't keep my vanity plate without transferring it at a later date.. although I'm not sure if that's possible or even how.

Aside from the fact it's rather frustrating that I can't transfer plates when buying a car (what happened to convenience?) -- I'll try to cut them some slack because of their growth.

Does anyone know how to go about this so I won't have any issues?

So this is fun. My appointment is later this month (excited!). I'm trading in and wanted to keep my (vanity) plate. Apparently, due to high volumes, they can't accommodate plate swaps. So I can't keep my vanity plate without transferring it at a later date.. although I'm not sure if that's possible or even how.

Aside from the fact it's rather frustrating that I can't transfer plates when buying a car (what happened to convenience?) -- I'll try to cut them some slack because of their growth.

Does anyone know how to go about this so I won't have any issues?

It's no issue to swap. You just take the plate to the MTO (new one you got with the car) and transfer. They will give a refund for the sticker portion on the new plate and you buy one for the vanity plate. Easy peasy.

Only thing is this way costs you an extra $30 or so vs them just doing it on the fly. I had the same question because I wanted to use my early green plate starting with GVAXX...don't want a GVBXX plate.

My IDA said they could do it on my old plate but I would have to drop the plates off at least 3 days before pickup at the IC....it's not worth my time to do that plus I still need to drive my car until I get the model 3 so I'll just swap after.

It's no issue to swap. You just take the plate to the MTO (new one you got with the car) and transfer. They will give a refund for the sticker portion on the new plate and you buy one for the vanity plate. Easy peasy.

Only thing is this way costs you an extra $30 or so vs them just doing it on the fly. I had the same question because I wanted to use my early green plate starting with GVAXX...don't want a GVBXX plate.

My IDA said they could do it on my old plate but I would have to drop the plates off at least 3 days before pickup at the IC....it's not worth my time to do that plus I still need to drive my car until I get the model 3 so I'll just swap after.

Ah, good to know. Much appreciated !

Do you know if I have to retain anything else (like part of permit or something?) Or just the plates is fine?

Hopefully they won't make me buy new sticker on the existing vanity.. I just renewed it :S

This all depends on the registration process of your state.

Don’t just assume you can walk in with your old plates and swap them out. At the very least there may be additional fees involved. At worst they flat out will not allow you to swap them.

Ah, good to know. Much appreciated !

Do you know if I have to retain anything else (like part of permit or something?) Or just the plates is fine?

Hopefully they won't make me buy new sticker on the existing vanity.. I just renewed it :S

Yes, just keep the plate portion of your ownership for both the plates and bring them to the MTO. You will turn in the new plates plus the plate portion to them, and then transfer the vanity plates to the new car. They will print you a new ownership tieing the car/vin to the vanity plates.

The balance of the sticker you just renewed will transfer to the vanity plate for the new car and you will get a refund for the unused months from the plate you are turning in.

• Helpful
Reactions: kwazi7
Yes, just keep the plate portion of your ownership for both the plates and bring them to the MTO. You will turn in the new plates plus the plate portion to them, and then transfer the vanity plates to the new car. They will print you a new ownership tieing the car/vin to the vanity plates.

The balance of the sticker you just renewed will transfer to the vanity plate for the new car and you will get a refund for the unused months from the plate you are turning in.

Awesome, thanks for the info!