Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X delayed start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Tesla X, up until a year ago, when I get in my car, I could press the brake and instantly put it in Drive and go. Now, whether it's coming out of deep sleep or if I just parked and get back into the car, I have to put my key fob on the dashboard and wait a good minute before the car comes on and can be put in drive. I have had several software updates and somehow this problem still persists. There used to be an option to do a quick start or to optimize the battery, you could turn it off. Now, I do not see that option anymore and this delayed start is very annoying.

I have a 2016 Tesla X, up until a year ago, when I get in my car, I could press the brake and instantly put it in Drive and go. Now, whether it's coming out of deep sleep or if I just parked and get back into the car, I have to put my key fob on the dashboard and wait a good minute before the car comes on and can be put in drive. I have had several software updates and somehow this problem still persists. There used to be an option to do a quick start or to optimize the battery, you could turn it off. Now, I do not see that option anymore and this delayed start is very annoying.
I have the same issue with my 2016 Tesla X. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. What do you mean by your reply? Could you give more specifics? Thank you.
The MCU (MCU1) that came with the early Model X is the same as the MCU with which the 2012 Model S was built. The MCU1 were already relatively slow by the time v10 of the Tesla software was released (late 2017 or 2018), and they had a relatively small amount of storage (eMMC) on them, so that storage would slow down and fail over time as more data was used and more overwrites were performed. There was a TSB for a warranty upgrade of the eMMC that Tesla would only perform for free if the software detected failure in the eMMC (as opposed to performance problems), so many users opted o pay to upgrade to MCU2 instead. MCU2 has more storage and a faster processor, so it improves the user experience for these vehicles and also allows for new features that weren't included in the firmware for MCU1 models. If you can verify that you are running MCU1 and don't have the eMMC upgrade, this is a feasible culprit that will at least bring other improvements if it doesn't resolve the problem (and won't require a diagnostic fee, but does come at a cost). As such, it would be advisable to research MCU upgrade vs eMMC upgrade to determine which upgrade might be right for you.

Reactions: jboy210
Upvote 0
The MCU (MCU1) that came with the early Model X is the same as the MCU with which the 2012 Model S was built. The MCU1 were already relatively slow by the time v10 of the Tesla software was released (late 2017 or 2018), and they had a relatively small amount of storage (eMMC) on them, so that storage would slow down and fail over time as more data was used and more overwrites were performed. There was a TSB for a warranty upgrade of the eMMC that Tesla would only perform for free if the software detected failure in the eMMC (as opposed to performance problems), so many users opted o pay to upgrade to MCU2 instead. MCU2 has more storage and a faster processor, so it improves the user experience for these vehicles and also allows for new features that weren't included in the firmware for MCU1 models. If you can verify that you are running MCU1 and don't have the eMMC upgrade, this is a feasible culprit that will at least bring other improvements if it doesn't resolve the problem (and won't require a diagnostic fee, but does come at a cost). As such, it would be advisable to research MCU upgrade vs eMMC upgrade to determine which upgrade might be right for you.
That was also my experience. I ordered my first X in 2017 and on the test drive the display was so slow I almost did not order the car. Fortunately, when the car came in 5 months after ordering it had the later MCU and the response speed was adequate.

However, compared to the replacement 2022 X the response is dead slow. The MCU is a computer, and the differences in performance are not unlike like the changes you see when you upgrade your desktop computer with that latest system after 6 years or so.

Upvote 0