Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X Founders Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to look at a pre owned 2018 Tesla S 75D, 3500 miles and right beside it was a 2016 model X 75D Founders Edition with 23,000 miles. Color was Midnight Silver with black interior and not a scratch or chip on the entire vehicle. Dealer has ordered a set of new tires for it and it drove great. I had never heard of a Founders Edition, but inscribed on the back and sides was the inscription. Any thoughts? The X was 6 grand more than the S.
20190216_144328.jpg

We have a model x and love it .
My brother bought an s and wished he had gotten the x instead, especially for transportation of people. If you get the x make sure you have some sort of bumper to bumper warentee as I read some early models had issues. Other than screen having a yellow border, ours has been perfect.

Thanks for the information. He has it priced at $69. I ran my hands all over and either someone clayed the car or a very good detail; there was no flaws, no bumps, dents that I could find. Only thing the 2018 is upgradeable to full auto if I want to pay the $$.

The Founders and Signature cars were the first to be delivered and only came in P90D with Ludicrous as a paid option. (At least it was paid on the Signature cars, but the Founders may have had that free). The Signature cars were open to anyone who wanted to pay a high price for their reservation for the opportunity to get it before the other reservations, but the Founders were only open to specific individuals connected with the company (friends/family/big investors/etc.).

I would think that a 75D with a Founders tag is probably just someone who bought the Founders badges online and put them on their 75 car for grins.

A real Founders car will have an F in the 12th digit of the VIN. You can decode the VIN of the car here to see if it comes up as a Founders car or not: VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and 1375mlm
Founders Edition just means the original owner got it as a referral prize. Signature Edition means it was one of the first 1000 VINs built in the region.
Ah yes, there were Founders by referral cars. Could those be ordered as 75s? The original Founders cars were only available as P90Ds, but if you didn't go through with the order until much later you might have gotten a P100D as they discontinued the P90D. I'm not sure they offered a downgrade to 75D, though...?

And, there were only 1000 Signature reservations, and since they were the first to get access to configuring a car they were also likely the first cars on the road. But it was more than just "one of the first 1000 built". Those were cars specifically reserved as a Signature car back when reservations first opened up.

Last edited:
From this thread, the "Founders by referral" cars were fully loaded (but cost the customer only what a base car would cost):

Model X Founder Series - Facts

Again, the VIN will tell you for sure. The VINs all end with a 6 digit serial number, but the first digit of that number will be an F or an S for a Founders or Signature car (as in Fnnnnn or Snnnnn).

Was it this car? Model X 75D midnight silver and black interior, just under 23k miles for just under $69k.

Used Tesla Model X For Sale - CarGurus

I googled the address and it has that building with the "AVAD"? logo in the parking lot, so I'm guessing this is it. The listing does not say Founders edition and the VIN is not a Founders VIN so take the "Founders" badging with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Went to look at a pre owned 2018 Tesla S 75D, 3500 miles and right beside it was a 2016 model X 75D Founders Edition with 23,000 miles. Color was Midnight Silver with black interior and not a scratch or chip on the entire vehicle. Dealer has ordered a set of new tires for it and it drove great. I had never heard of a Founders Edition, but inscribed on the back and sides was the inscription. Any thoughts? The X was 6 grand more than the S.View attachment 377988

Just wanted to mention that if you plan on getting autopilot don’t forget the 2016 X you shared has AP1, the 2018 S will have AP 2.5. In addition you may have to pay $500 extra for HEPA filter/BWD mode if the X did not have premium package (which the S will have) and the 2016 7 seater middle seats do not fold all the way down like they do now. Good luck!

Just wanted to mention that if you plan on getting autopilot don’t forget the 2016 X you shared has AP1, the 2018 S will have AP 2.5. In addition you may have to pay $500 extra for HEPA filter/BWD mode if the X did not have premium package (which the S will have) and the 2016 7 seater middle seats do not fold all the way down like they do now. Good luck!
I know a guy with a Founders Edition 2016 with AP2.5 -the vin # is the key to knowing what you have or are considering buying. Also if it has AP2.5 the infotainmeant sytem can be downloaded to it for less expensive $$ than the cars with AP1