Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X without FWD Poll

Would you buy a MX if it didnt have the FWD

• Yes

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 48.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Would have to see it first

Votes: 32 20.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt they would pass any cost savings on to customers, any reduction in manufacturing cost would just go to making the X more profitable per unit for Tesla.

The price point is dictated by positioning in the lineup, an X has a certain price gap between it and the Y, much like the differential between a BMW X3, X5 and X7, the delta in cost of manufacture is probably minimal compared to their respective price gaps.

although the profit margin on the X and S are reputed to be much higher than the 3 and y, by no means are they almost no difference in cost. lower volume usually indicates higher cost in and of itself. Every little bit you add increases the cost. there's a reason things like this cost more, and it's not just because the manufacturer wants to make more money. I don't think people so light in the head they would pay more for nothing!

although the profit margin on the X and S are reputed to be much higher than the 3 and y, by no means are they almost no difference in cost. lower volume usually indicates higher cost in and of itself. Every little bit you add increases the cost. there's a reason things like this cost more, and it's not just because the manufacturer wants to make more money. I don't think people so light in the head they would pay more for nothing!
Yes agreed that the X is significantly more complex than most other cars out there, mainly due to FWD’s, curved windshield etc.

The point I was making, is that if Tesla did decide to manufacture a much simplified X at a far lower cost to them without FWD’s etc, you can’t expect them to drastically reduce the pricing to match. The X has a position in the lineup and the price point for an X has been established as a model, it also will compare price wise with other cars that X owners might shop against (full size Range Rover, high end MB and BMW SUV’s, Escalade etc).

Saying eventually or possibly isn't now and it doesn't define when it'll be available. I'm quoting what is current.

Obviously, it could change tomorrow or next week, next month or never happen. Consider what happened with the cooled seats for the S/X - it came out, stopped, came out again, and hasn't been since 2018 I believe. You can also talk about the raven suspension on the 3/Y that's been rumoured. My point is that people have been speculating changes for Tesla since it started and has only gotten more fervent since the Model 3 intro. It may or may not happen.
the difference between Y biohazard mode and Y adaptive suspension is that Y biohazard mode exists TODAY, you can buy it (just not in US). This is why I mentioned it and not the suspension.

I doubt they would pass any cost savings on to customers, any reduction in manufacturing cost would just go to making the X more profitable per unit for Tesla.

The price point is dictated by positioning in the lineup, an X has a certain price gap between it and the Y, much like the differential between a BMW X3, X5 and X7, the delta in cost of manufacture is probably minimal compared to their respective price gaps.

well sure, but the line is pretty small at this point. Look how many different cars Toyota has vs Tesla.

so sure let the X keep FWD. make a bigger Y without FWD. if you look at SUV sales, there is a huge market in the US for bigger than Y SUVs.

Reactions: cusetownusa
How much cost / complexity do the FWD add? If they made an otherwise identical car, how much of a price change would normal
Doors be? 3k? 5k? 8k?

I own a Y. Eyeing an X for extra space. FWD are on the list of features I would rather save money than have (along with like second screen and upgraded interior).... it’s not that I dislike it, but it’s just not worth $$$ to me.
My dream car is a baby of an X and a Y. No FWD but 100 kWh battery.
X and Y are totally different, big difference, not just FWD. I don't think you will find X without "wings" in near future.

well sure, but the line is pretty small at this point. Look how many different cars Toyota has vs Tesla.

so sure let the X keep FWD. make a bigger Y without FWD. if you look at SUV sales, there is a huge market in the US for bigger than Y SUVs.
Right now, Tesla in general has 4 models built on 2 production lines, 3/Y and S/X, so I doubt they want to make another line for bigger SUV similar to Y.
In addition, S/X are their icons so I doubt they would make any modification