Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslacam - dash cam with a usb drive that has wifi capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I noticed when I got in the car yesterday that my camera woke up, so the power turns off at some point between when the ports used to go off, same time as the display, and now where they go off at or before the car goes into Deep Sleep.

-Randy

Alright, I dreamed up a way for me to test this a bit better with remote checking (at the risk of some of my iDevices being stolen from my car at home :)).

Find my iPhone shows you the battery state and charging status of all your devices. If I remember I will leave two plugged in my car overnight. One directly into a USB port, and one plugged into the USB to AC plugged into a 12V adapter.

Then I can check on them periodically without disturbing the car and without having to go out to the car either :)

I have the verbatim and the Pi Zero w. I’d like to just use the Pi rather than the Verbatim (if I can figure out how to correctly configure the Pi). How did you mount the Pi to your NAS? I have a Synology DS 218+ and not sure how to run scripts. Can you also do this with the Verbatim? Just not sure how to do it. Would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Since my Raspberry Pi does many other tasks, I have it auto mount my NAS by leveraging the file /etc/fstab Keep in mind this is a device on my home network that's hard wired in and runs 24/7. However if you have a Pi W and want to make it the USB drive in the car, then you can't leverage that because this mount only happens during bootup. If the NAS isn't there during boot up, it won't mount. So you would need to do it via a script that launches when the move process needs to happen. I haven't looked into the scripting for the Pi W project since it appears to not be reliable yet. My personal plan is to let that mature and once becomes a reliable solution, I'll probably switch to that myself since it would work more automatically without the need to pause dashcam recording and flipping a switch before leaving and when returning.

The script I made is simply to work with the Verbatim solution. There was another post earlier on how to do this with a Windows box running robocopy, but I didn't want to leave my PC running 24/7 when I have a Raspberry doing that already. Remember, the Verbatim is a very dumb device and has no scripting or auto copy/move functions. Not nearly as good as what the Pi W can be, but it's cheap and relatively easy to setup/use for now.

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
Sidebar issue: Does anyone have a free Windows 10 app for partitioning / FAT32-formatting a large USB drive (specifically the 64GB SanDisk WiFi card some of the folks here - Randy & others) are using for TeslaCam & Sentry. I'm not particularly excited spending $40-$50 for a third party app I'm not likely to use again. TIA. I presume that the M3s Linux can read a >32GB FAT32 drive/partition.

The Verbatim device is apparently unavailable now, at least from a dependable source at a reasonable price. You guys must have bought up what was left of the existing inventory.

Last edited:
Sidebar issue: Does anyone have a free Windows 10 app for partitioning / FAT32-formatting a large USB drive (specifically the 64GB SanDisk WiFi card some of the folks here - Randy & others) are using for TeslaCam & Sentry. I'm not particularly excited spending $40-$50 for a third party app I'm not likely to use again. TIA. I presume that the M3s Linux can read a >32GB FAT32 drive/partition.

I can't recommend a specific one, but there are a ton of free FAT32 format tools out there. Just Google for one and you should be able to download one at no cost. As for partitioning, Windows does that just fine. You can use a guide like this:
How To Partition USB Drives In Windows 10 Using Disk Management

However, instead of starting with an NTFS partition and shrinking it, just delete the existing one (assuming you don't have data on the drive you want to keep) and then create two new partitions. I can't recall if you can skip formatting, but formatted or not, you then run the format tool to then make them FAT32.

The Verbatim device is apparently unavailable now, at least from a dependable source at a reasonable price. You guys must have bought up what was left of the existing inventory.

Sorry, I had a part in that. At least I'm using it! :)

Thanks, Chris. I found and used guiformat.exe. 64GB SanDisk WiFi stick is working just fine. I left it as a single partition. Seeing you're from Hillsboro, do you work for Intel or Tektronix or some other such hi-tech firm? I lived in Beaverton for ~ 15 years.

Followup report.

On Sunday evening, I paused dashcam with a long press, flipped the Verbatim device into WiFi mode and confirmed that it had attached to my local network, and launched a robocopy command line to move all the files. It took a few hours to move about 30GB from the device, over the wifi, to a local drive. IIRC, it completed in the first pass; it was on car power for a while, then on self-contained power, then eventually, sometime after the copy completed, the self-contained power ran out.

I was also able to reach the music partition and add some content while it was wifi attached.

Monday morning, I flipped the switch back to USB mode and resumed dashcam with a long press.

The robocopy job remained running and just circled on errors that it was unable to reach the source.

On Tuesday evening, I paused dashcam with a long press and flipped the Verbatim device into WiFi mode. After about a minute, it reattached to the network; after a couple more minutes the robocopy job tried again, found the device, and again moved all the files -- in this case, it was about 11GB (3.6 in RecentFiles; 7.4 in ten Sentry captures).

Wednesday morning, I flipped the switch back to USB mode and resumed dashcam with a long press.

Net: Highly successful.

Possible enhancements:
- don't bother capturing RecentClips.
- move older files, but only copy the most recent files, so that the most recent remain on the stick for a while.
- automatically sync music files to the other partition when attached.

RecentClips overwrites after an hour, for a steady-state ~4GB, but SavedClips grows every time the user, or Sentry, saves a set of clips; about 857 to 950 MB per save. In my particular usage pattern over the last couple of days, that's 4 to 6 captures per day, or about 21 days to fill 128GB.

Thanks for this info. Can I ask how you managed to access other folders in the volume at the same level as the 'share' folder? I've created the TeslaCam folder at the root of the volume (as required) however the mediashare mini only appears to give network access to a folder called 'share' via path \\*ip*\SDCard_Volume1_Share. Attempting to access path \\*ip*\TeslaCam doesn't appear to work. If I create multiple partitions on the storage, each is given a 'share' folder and can only be accessed via \\*ip*\SDCard_Volume1_Share or \\*ip*\SDCard_Volume2_Share but attempting to access the TeslaCam folder at the same level doesn't work.

Weirdly I can see and access the TeslaCam folder from the mediashare app but not from a windows machine.

Thanks for this info. Can I ask how you managed to access other folders in the volume at the same level as the 'share' folder? I've created the TeslaCam folder at the root of the volume (as required) however the mediashare mini only appears to give network access to a folder called 'share' via path \\*ip*\SDCard_Volume1_Share. Attempting to access path \\*ip*\TeslaCam doesn't appear to work. If I create multiple partitions on the storage, each is given a 'share' folder and can only be accessed via \\*ip*\SDCard_Volume1_Share or \\*ip*\SDCard_Volume2_Share but attempting to access the TeslaCam folder at the same level doesn't work.

Weirdly I can see and access the TeslaCam folder from the mediashare app but not from a windows machine.

ignore me I figured it out this morning. Tired brain last night