Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi and apparent insomnia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new user of Teslafi. So far it appears to be working as designed; however, I am noticing that with sleep mode enabled, my vehicle seems to have 'insomnia'.

On the car, save energy mode is enabled, always connected toggled off, cabin overheat protection is toggled off. On Teslafi settings, sleep mode is enabled with the default polling time (1 min), time to try sleeping time (15 min), idle time before trying to sleep (30 min); and 'no outside temperature reading' and 'no inside temperature reading' are both unchecked. Also on Teslafi settings, scheduled nighttime sleep mode and deep sleep mode are both unchecked. I do want text messages for sleep alerts so that is checked.

Immediately before I signed up for Teslafi I changed my Tesla password. I don't use other apps that ping the car, but just to be sure, I started from a clean slate. Also, yesterday mid-day I received the 50.3 update. That was already installed when you read the rest of the story - so any insomnia is unlikely to be related to a new software download).

Given the above settings, the system seems to work. I can see the 30 min pause and then Teslafi starts the 15 min of no pinging the car to allow the car to go to sleep. However, many times the car will not go to sleep. The 30 min of pings then start again and at min 30 the 15 min of silence starts. However, again, the car will not go to sleep after 15 min.

Eventually, however, it will sleep. Last night for example, my car was idling from 7:12 pm to 1:53 am with no user intervention - - that's over 6.5 hours. During that time, Teslafi continually tried to get it to sleep, as designed. Finally, at 2:08 am, she went to sleep, and slept until 6:36 am when I woke her up.

I drove the 13 minutes to the gym and parked and stayed there for 1 hour 10 min. No sleep - but the 'battery heater' icon was lit in Teslafi. OK. I get that (well, what I get to be more precise is that the car will not sleep if the battery heater is on, but I parked and locked the car and entered the gym and the heater stayed on - which I guess is by design - - it is quite cold outside - - see below).

I then drove 19 minutes to work and parked. The car is now on idle. I have been here 1 hour 45 min. There is no battery heater lit in Teslafi (and in fact the raw data shows battery heater on = false).

So why wont she sleep right now?

It was 10 degrees F this morning and is now 18 degrees F. But battery heater is off. I am not understanding why she is not sleeping, or why it took her 6 hours to go to sleep last night (no battery heater last night either).

Is this normal or is it due to the cold weather (even if battery heater shows it is off)? I think I am doing everything correctly with Teslafi for the sleep modes but I need to rule that out I guess. But how can I check sleep cycles without Teslafi or any other app that pings the car every minute to see if its sleeping?

Thanks for any insight as I learn more about Teslafi and the behavior of my car.

Adam

Any chance you're checking the app? Opening the Tesla app or using the widgets will keep the car awake.

I've also noticed since .48 my X only goes to sleep for 1 hour increments now.

Excellent thought. I was on the app earlier to preheat the car and noticed it is still 'active' in the background (I use Android - so there is still a 'card' visible for the App, but not in the foreground, when I go to look at all apps). Anyway I just killed the app. Lets see what happens.

Excellent thought. I was on the app earlier to preheat the car and noticed it is still 'active' in the background (I use Android - so there is still a 'card' visible for the App, but not in the foreground, when I go to look at all apps). Anyway I just killed the app. Lets see what happens.

Any time Tesla's API is requested for particular endpoints (car data, basically) it keeps the car awake.

@AdamHLG I'm in the same situation. I've talked about it with James from Teslafi but I haven't had any reply to my last email and since it's the holiday period, I think it's normal. Disabling the teslafi sleep mode may help as my car only slept during those hours and now it 'seem' to sleep more often. I will dig into that soon. I really do like the date provided by this service.

@AdamHLG I'm in the same situation. I've talked about it with James from Teslafi but I haven't had any reply to my last email and since it's the holiday period, I think it's normal. Disabling the teslafi sleep mode may help as my car only slept during those hours and now it 'seem' to sleep more often. I will dig into that soon. I really do like the date provided by this service.

Wouldn't disabling Teslafi's sleep mode make it ping the car every minute and never stop? Are you saying that it seems to sleep more often by doing this, or was this a typo or misunderstanding?

Anyway please keep us updated on any response to your email from James. I do love Teslafi and want to keep it. I need to make sure the app's sleep mode is working properly.

BTW 4 minutes left until the 15 minute window is up. We shall see if she sleeps now that the app is killed in the background (and I restarted my phone just in case too). (EDIT: Nope - not sleeping - so its not the app)

Last edited:
My car is sleeping but two things to consider.
1. Don't use the app to sleep the car.
2. Try setting Polling Time While Idle to 2 minutes. This was what James tried when my car had insomnia.

Also it seems like when the car is downloading the software updates, it sleeps only for a very short time.

Wouldn't disabling Teslafi's sleep mode make it ping the car every minute and never stop? Are you saying that it seems to sleep more often by doing this, or was this a typo or misunderstanding?

Anyway please keep us updated on any response to your email from James. I do love Teslafi and want to keep it. I need to make sure the app's sleep mode is working properly.

BTW 4 minutes left until the 15 minute window is up. We shall see if she sleeps now that the app is killed in the background (and I restarted my phone just in case too). (EDIT: Nope - not sleeping - so its not the app)

So the 15 minute timer is just Teslafi trying to give the car the opportunity to sleep. The logic of if the car goes to sleep is still in the car itself. It doesn't guarantee the car will go to sleep in those 15 minutes.

I get that. I just don't know why the car is not going to sleep and whether that is related to the sleep or other settings in Teslafi. I changed the polling to 2 minutes we will see how that goes.

Edit: the change to 2 minutes did not help. Now trying a change from 15 min to 20 min for the wait timer.

Last edited:
Update: Changing the 15 minute polling suspension to a 20 minute suspension has allowed my car to sleep. Unless this is just random, I am thinking that for one reason or another it is taking my car longer than 15 minutes to enter a sleep subsequent to an API ping. For all I know it takes 16 minutes and not 15 minutes, but for now, suspending for 20 minutes has done the trick. Anyway, I am going to see how this works for a while and slowly walk it backwards from 20 minutes to 19 to 18, etc. I am back to the original 1 minute polling setting when idle.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
@jflaplante Based on your post, I remain skeptical as to whether I found settings that work for me - or - if its just random that 'this time' it went to sleep. Only time will tell as I test things but I will post my progress. I am sitting at work and I am tempted to wake her up by the app and then close the app and see if she goes back to sleep with my 'new' settings. But as ridiculous as it sounds I don't want to wake her up now that she's finally sleeping lol.

There seems to be more updates happening for whatever reason. I wonder if the car is idle trying to download and verify new software updates?

I did notice when I left for 2 days during christmas my car hardly slept and when I returned, the car went from 40 miles down to 5 miles of range left. When I opened the door the "schedule update" message was on the center screen.

I am now home for the night and she has been idle with no sleep for 1 hour 45 minutes. I've been through two cycles of polling suspension via Teslafi and she will not sleep. Edit - As I typed out this post the third time was the charm and she is sleeping.

But nevertheless I would like to understand this better. The battery heater was not on so if it is network traffic via wifi in my garage keeping her awake, I want to learn more about that. I have an Asus router so do I look there, or do I download third party software for a PC to monitor that IP address and see how much data is going in each direction between my car and the internet and have it logged or even graphed over time? I am not a programmer I am just thinking out loud that it would be interesting to see and how that correlates with sleep cycles. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be helpful.

If it is not network related, what else would it be to keep car from sleeping? "simply cold weather" (which we have now - it is quite cold) should not prevent the vehicle from sleeping if the battery heater is not on, correct? Or am I missing something? Or do I just accept that its random computers that are doing tasks and they're not ready to sleep?

But then how do I rule out the possibility that Teslafi might be keeping the car awake? I love Teslafi and if nothing else I am learning about the cars sleep cycles. I just want to make sure its not keeping my car awake.