Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaInventory/CPO - AutoPilot Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st post && a newbie..so please take it easy on me. ;-)

I am looking to buy a CPO Tesla with the "2.0" version of the Autopilot hardware being the most important factor for me.

When I look at TeslaInventory.com I see these options: (as of Jan 23)

Autopilot 2.0 with Enhanced Autopilot (5)
Autopilot Hardware 1 Convenience Features (227)
Enhanced Autopilot (13)
Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability(95)
No Autopilot Package (4)
Tech package - No Autopilot (401)

Questions:
1) How can I confirm if a Model S has the "2.0 Autopilot Hardware"? (via VIN or build date or ???).
2) If a CPO MS has the AP 2.0 h/w in place, but the original owner didn't buy the "Enhanced Autopilot" and "Full self-driving capability" then please confirm that I can buy those from Telsa once I buy the CPO. From what I have read those options are able to be "activated" by Telsa as they are s/w only.
3) I was surprised to read that AP 2.0 h/w cars with Enhanced AP and Full Self-driving capabilities don't currently have all the features of the AP 1.0 cars. Can someone confirm I have read that correctly, and comment on how long "feature parity" usually takes when a new "major" (6.x, 7.x, 8.x, etc) comes out.
4) By looking at the list above. Which option includes all 3 of what I want: 2.0 h/w, Enhanced AP, Fully self-driving? I think the answer is the top one, but it doesn't list Fully self-driving, so how can I be sure?

Are there any other "gotchas" I should be watching out for with a CPO car when it comes to AutoPilot/Full self-driving? (e.g. for sure don't get a Tesla that has been in any sort of wreck as the camera/lasers/whatever will never be the same).

Thx for your time and energy in answering these. This forum is REALLY helpful to newbies!

Hello,

I ownTeslaInventory.com so I can help you out. :)

Autopilot 2.0 with Enhanced Autopilot (5)
Autopilot Hardware 1 Convenience Features (227)
Enhanced Autopilot (13)
Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability(95)
No Autopilot Package (4)
Tech package - No Autopilot (401)

Questions:
1) How can I confirm if a Model S has the "2.0 Autopilot Hardware"? (via VIN or build date or ???).

Option codes are continually changing at Tesla and I have not combined codes yet. However anything that lists 2.0, enhanced autopilot, or enhanced autopilot, full self-driving capability will be 2.0. You can always click on the vin and check on Tesla's site. However I went through the vehicles and all proved true.

2) If a CPO MS has the AP 2.0 h/w in place, but the original owner didn't buy the "Enhanced Autopilot" and "Full self-driving capability" then please confirm that I can buy those from Telsa once I buy the CPO. From what I have read those options are able to be "activated" by Telsa as they are s/w only.

Yes, if it has 2.0 hardware you can add enhanced or full self-driving at any time. They will just issue a software update. However each option is $1,000 more to activate after the car is purchased.

3) I was surprised to read that AP 2.0 h/w cars with Enhanced AP and Full Self-driving capabilities don't currently have all the features of the AP 1.0 cars. Can someone confirm I have read that correctly, and comment on how long "feature parity" usually takes when a new "major" (6.x, 7.x, 8.x, etc) comes out.
That is correct. AP 2.0 is not up to 1.0 at the current time. However new updates are rolling out quite frequently to improve 2.0. I think I saw a tweet from Elon stating roughly 3 months to meet and exceed 1.0.

4) By looking at the list above. Which option includes all 3 of what I want: 2.0 h/w, Enhanced AP, Fully self-driving? I think the answer is the top one, but it doesn't list Fully self-driving, so how can I be sure?
For all those you will want a car that is under the "Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability" list. :)

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks Erik

• Informative
Reactions: GQbed
Erik, Thanks for your detailed reply. And for your site. Super useful!

Would like to make a feature suggestion: As many Tesla owners will want to "future proof" their investment by getting AP h/w 2.0, it would be useful to have that as an explicit checkbox.

Congrats on your S90D AP 2.0 order.