Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
18L/100KM is super high usage...

any reasonable car (meaning not 8l v12...) will consume ~8l of petrol (on avg) on motorway and maybe 10-12 in city. but 18 is just.. a bit too much
Its my Truck (2013 Ram 1500) that i'm comparing it to as it was our primary vehicle we used for all driving prior to upgrading my wife's SUV to the M3. My truck isn't good on the wallet lol:
1656506142271.png

I attached my .json file for the dashboard for Charges with Cost..

EDIT: I just realized the .json didn't get attached in my previous post or this post, i had to zip it for it to upload. Sorry if you were looking for it and it wasn't in my post as i didnt notice it not get attached. Here it is now :)

Attachments

• Charges with Cost-1656506066043.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: init6
I'm running latest Teslamate on the free E2 tier of GCP, but seeing a big uptick in "Network Internet Egress from Americas to Americas" charges that were not any issue in any prior month over the last 1+ years.
Anyone else seeing the same?
Is there a recent Teslamate logging change or Tesla API querying change that is causing this increased network usage behavior?
I'm sure someone else had a similar problem a while a go. Search this thread for user:

BMW740iL

.He had similar unexpected billing increase. Few things in there to check for such as external IPs.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I'm new to Teslamate. I tried to install it yesterday on my Synology NAS. I'm getting an error saying:
Waiting for postgres at 127.0.0.1:5432

I have no idea what you might need to figure out what I am doing wrong so I'll take a stab at giving you some information.

docker-compose logs database

Attaching to docker_database_1
database_1 |
database_1 | PostgreSQL Database directory appears to contain a database; Skipping initialization
database_1 |
database_1 | 2022-06-30 16:45:21.872 UTC [1] LOG: starting PostgreSQL 14.4 (Debian 14.4-1.pgdg110+1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110, 64-bit
database_1 | 2022-06-30 16:45:21.880 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv4 address "0.0.0.0", port 5432
database_1 | 2022-06-30 16:45:21.880 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv6 address "::", port 5432
database_1 | 2022-06-30 16:45:21.965 UTC [1] LOG: listening on Unix socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
database_1 | 2022-06-30 16:45:22.004 UTC [28] LOG: database system was shut down at 2022-06-30 16:45:03 UTC
database_1 | 2022-06-30 16:45:22.025 UTC [1] LOG: database system is ready to accept connections

docker ps

CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
135105aa464a eclipse-mosquitto:2 "/docker-entrypoint.…" 39 minutes ago Up 39 minutes 1883/tcp docker_mosquitto_1
4c1ab22f851a teslamate/grafana:latest "/run.sh" 39 minutes ago Up 39 minutes 0.0.0.0:3000->3000/tcp docker_grafana_1
b98393523b8c postgres:14 "docker-entrypoint.s…" 39 minutes ago Up 39 minutes 5432/tcp, 0.0.0.0:25432->25432/tcp docker_database_1
05d2a8c43ea8 teslamate/teslamate:latest "tini -- /bin/sh /en…" 18 hours ago Up 10 hours 0.0.0.0:49156->4000/tcp teslamate-teslamate1
8f62aacde114 teslamate/grafana:latest "/run.sh" 18 hours ago Up 18 hours 0.0.0.0:49153->3000/tcp teslamate-grafana1

When I run:
docker-compose logs teslamate
It gives me:
Attaching to docker_teslamate_1

I have no idea how to get to it so I can post it.

When I run:
docker-compose up -d
ERROR: for teslamate Cannot start service teslamate: Bind mount failed: '/volume1/@docker/import' does not exists
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

version: "3"

services:
teslamate:
image: teslamate/teslamate:latest
restart: unless-stopped
environment:
- ENCRYPTION_KEY= <Insert Key>
- DB_USER=teslamate
- DB_PASS=secret
- DB_NAME=teslamate
- DB_HOST=database
- MQTT_HOST=mosquitto
- VIRTUAL_HOST=192.168.XXX.XXX
# if you're going to access the UI from another machine replace
# "localhost" with the hostname / IP address of the docker host.
- TZ=America/Los_Angeles # (optional) replace to use local time in debug logs. See "Configuration".
ports:
- 4000:4000
volumes:
- ./import:/opt/app/import
cap_drop:
- all

database:
image: postgres:14
restart: always
environment:
- POSTGRES_USER=teslamate
- POSTGRES_PASSWORD=secret
- POSTGRES_DB=teslamate
volumes:
- teslamate-db:/var/lib/postgresql/data

grafana:
image: teslamate/grafana:latest
environment:
- DATABASE_USER=teslamate
- DATABASE_PASS=secret
- DATABASE_NAME=teslamate
- DATABASE_HOST=database
ports:
- 3000:3000
volumes:
- teslamate-grafana-data:/var/lib/grafana

mosquitto:
image: eclipse-mosquitto:2
command: mosquitto -c /mosquitto-no-auth.conf
# ports:
# - 1883:1883
volumes:
- mosquitto-conf:/mosquitto/config
- mosquitto-data:/mosquitto/data

volumes:
teslamate-db:
teslamate-grafana-data:
mosquitto-conf:
mosquitto-data:

I don't know how to see the version of Teslamate I have.

Can anyone guess what I might be doing wrong?

How can I use CODE: to preserve the spacing?

Last edited:
On the charge dashboard would ((Used kWh) - (Added kWh)) indicate a rough idea of how much regenerative braking added to the battery pack?

eg. 39.76 - 38.41 = 1.35kWh in regen.

Again this would only work if you do full charges to your max charge soc each time.View attachment 823140
The used value is calculated by Teslamate to give an idea of losses during charges:

The "Used" value is actually calculated by TeslaMate based on the charge data ( charger_actual_current * charger_voltage * phases / 1000.0). It might therefore deviate from what the charger indicates or what is billed. However, It gives an idea of the losses during charging. But this depends on where the measurement is taken. In this case we use the data measured by the car and not at the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Python
I'm new to Teslamate. I tried to install it yesterday on my Synology NAS. I'm getting an error saying:
Waiting for postgres at 127.0.0.1:5432

docker ps

CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
135105aa464a eclipse-mosquitto:2 "/docker-entrypoint.…" 39 minutes ago Up 39 minutes 1883/tcp docker_mosquitto_1
4c1ab22f851a teslamate/grafana:latest "/run.sh" 39 minutes ago Up 39 minutes 0.0.0.0:3000->3000/tcp docker_grafana_1
b98393523b8c postgres:14 "docker-entrypoint.s…" 39 minutes ago Up 39 minutes 5432/tcp, 0.0.0.0:25432->25432/tcp docker_database_1
05d2a8c43ea8 teslamate/teslamate:latest "tini -- /bin/sh /en…" 18 hours ago Up 10 hours 0.0.0.0:49156->4000/tcp teslamate-teslamate1
8f62aacde114 teslamate/grafana:latest "/run.sh" 18 hours ago Up 18 hours 0.0.0.0:49153->3000/tcp teslamate-grafana1
Hard to read this format - try putting it in code blocks - but do you have 2 Grafanas running?also strange that teslamate appears to be up. Have you tried downing it before starting?

When I run:
docker-compose logs teslamate
It gives me:
Attaching to docker_teslamate_1

I have no idea how to get to it so I can post it.

When I run:
docker-compose up -d
ERROR: for teslamate Cannot start service teslamate: Bind mount failed: '/volume1/@docker/import' does not exists
Zip the logs and post them on here. If you don't know how to download them from your sinology, just 'more' the file and cut and paste.

Have a look at this though:

Also what instructions did you use to install this? I'm not running on Synology, so need to check the differences between that install and mine.

Hard to read this format - try putting it in code blocks - but do you have 2 Grafanas running?also strange that teslamate appears to be up. Have you tried downing it before starting?
I'd be happy to put in code blocks. I've been looking everyplace on how to do it. I can't find how to do it.
Grafana1.jpg

I have tried:
docker-compose down && docker-compose up

I get this error:
Zip the logs and post them on here. If you don't know how to download them from your sinology, just 'more' the file and cut and paste.

Have a look at this though:

Also what instructions did you use to install this? I'm not running on Synology, so need to check the differences between that install and mine.
I have attached a log in zip format.

I have followed these instructions to install it on Synology:

Thank you for looking at this.

Attachments

• docker_log.zip
    735 bytes · Views: 36
I'd be happy to put in code blocks. I've been looking everyplace on how to do it. I can't find how to do it.
View attachment 823180

I have tried:
docker-compose down && docker-compose up

I get this error:

I have attached a log in zip format.

I have followed these instructions to install it on Synology:

Thank you for looking at this.
Can you paste your YML file?

Can you paste your YML file?
Yes. It's in the first post but I understand it's hard to read.
Code:
version: "3"

services:
  teslamate:
    image: teslamate/teslamate:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      - ENCRYPTION_KEY= <Insert Key>
      - DB_USER=teslamate
      - DB_PASS=secret
      - DB_NAME=teslamate
      - DB_HOST=database
      - MQTT_HOST=mosquitto
      - VIRTUAL_HOST=192.168.XXX.XXX
        # if you're going to access the UI from another machine replace
        # "localhost" with the hostname / IP address of the docker host.
      - TZ=America/Los_Angeles # (optional) replace to use local time in debug logs. See "Configuration".
    ports:
      - 4000:4000
    volumes:
      - ./import:/opt/app/import
    cap_drop:
      - all

database:
    image: postgres:14
    environment:
      - POSTGRES_USER=teslamate
      - POSTGRES_PASSWORD=secret
      - POSTGRES_DB=teslamate
    volumes:
      - teslamate-db:/var/lib/postgresql/data

grafana:
    image: teslamate/grafana:latest
    environment:
      - DATABASE_USER=teslamate
      - DATABASE_PASS=secret
      - DATABASE_NAME=teslamate
      - DATABASE_HOST=database
    ports:
      - 3000:3000
    volumes:
      - teslamate-grafana-data:/var/lib/grafana

mosquitto:
    image: eclipse-mosquitto:2
    command: mosquitto -c /mosquitto-no-auth.conf
    # ports:
    #   - 1883:1883
    volumes:
      - mosquitto-conf:/mosquitto/config
      - mosquitto-data:/mosquitto/data

volumes:
  teslamate-db:
  teslamate-grafana-data:
  mosquitto-conf:
  mosquitto-data:

Last edited:
Yes. It's in the first post but I understand it's hard to read.
It was the output of the ps that I found hard to read.

In the YML file, line for Virtual Host, I take it you have a proper IP address and the XXX.XXX aren't in the yml file? i.e. you only changed it to post up here?

Can you force stop all the processes from the docker interface? do a docker ps to make sure they're down and then start again.

In the bind mount error I linked to, the solution seemed to be to create the import directory. Did you try that?

It was the output of the ps that I found hard to read.

In the YML file, line for Virtual Host, I take it you have a proper IP address and the XXX.XXX aren't in the yml file? i.e. you only changed it to post up here?

Can you force stop all the processes from the docker interface? do a docker ps to make sure they're down and then start again.

In the bind mount error I linked to, the solution seemed to be to create the import directory. Did you try that?
Code:
docker ps

CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                        COMMAND                  CREATED        STATUS        PORTS                                NAMES
c3db02988ef3   teslamate/grafana:latest     "/run.sh"                2 hours ago    Up 2 hours    0.0.0.0:3000->3000/tcp               docker_grafana_1
cb65f2ac8630   eclipse-mosquitto:2          "/docker-entrypoint.…"   2 hours ago    Up 2 hours    1883/tcp                             docker_mosquitto_1
acc147759e54   postgres:14                  "docker-entrypoint.s…"   2 hours ago    Up 2 hours    5432/tcp, 0.0.0.0:25432->25432/tcp   docker_database_1
05d2a8c43ea8   teslamate/teslamate:latest   "tini -- /bin/sh /en…"   23 hours ago   Up 4 hours    0.0.0.0:49159->4000/tcp              teslamate-teslamate1
8f62aacde114   teslamate/grafana:latest     "/run.sh"                23 hours ago   Up 23 hours   0.0.0.0:49153->3000/tcp              teslamate-grafana1
I do have a complete valid IP address in the yml file. I changed it only to post here.

After I run:
docker-compose down

I see:
Code:
docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                        COMMAND                  CREATED        STATUS        PORTS                     NAMES
05d2a8c43ea8   teslamate/teslamate:latest   "tini -- /bin/sh /en…"   23 hours ago   Up 4 hours    0.0.0.0:49159->4000/tcp   teslamate-teslamate1
8f62aacde114   teslamate/grafana:latest     "/run.sh"                23 hours ago   Up 23 hours   0.0.0.0:49153->3000/tcp   teslamate-grafana1

I don't know how to create the import directory.

Thank you for the help,