Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the Pi Zero, how old is it? initially I tried to set it up on a Pi 2 from about 2013/14 but it was too slow to even install. As I didn’t have a newer Pi I just bought a new Pi 4 to run it on. I suggest you give it a try. If it is fast enough to pull the files from the repository then it should work. With my old Pi 2 it was timing out at this stage.

Files are stored on the Pi boot drive, so in my case a micro-SD card.

After initially setting it up using my TV as a monitor it now just sits headless in the cupboard. I SSH into it from my iPad to update it, and copy the backup file to my iMac and Dropbox in case it all goes TU.
Many thanks @Roy W. Will have a go when it rains tomorrow. Think my SD already has Ubuntu on it so will update and install docker if not already on it. If not will give me more to do :)

Reactions: Roy W.
If I set this up on my home network, is the only issue that I can’t view the data from outside my house? It still basically live updates (or refreshes periodically) with no issue missing car trips or anything?

I really don’t care about viewing the data outside my house anyway.

If I set this up on my home network, is the only issue that I can’t view the data from outside my house? It still basically live updates (or refreshes periodically) with no issue missing car trips or anything?

That’s spot on. It catches everything the car does. You can view the data on any device with a web browser within your home network.

Reactions: Scott7
@Roy W.
Would a Pi zero W be ok to use? Have one laying around!

Also what does your data save too? The SD on the pi or an external storage solution?

I'm running it on a Pi 3B+ which also runs PiHole and a PiVPN Server
I also have a Pi Zero W running Grafana and MongoDB to capture stats from my SmartThings hub which will likely be a similar load.

As above, if you installed PiVPN alongside TeslaMate you'd be able to securely* dial in to your local network from outside the home.

*relatively. OpenVPN has its issues and apparently Wireguard is better but I don't know enough to argue either way. It does howver allow e to play Steam games from my home PC when I'm out of the country.

Reactions: Roy W. and davidmc

Get a free a/c with noip.com (assume you are dynamic IP and home). - Use VPN lots eg iPlayer when abroad.

I assume you could configure TeslaMate to notify you of 'stuff' via email / push notification too if not that fussed about realtime access

I've a couple of minor questions, anyone help or better on github?

My stats show the Driver and Passenger temperature permanently at 20degC, presume this data may be S/X models?
Efficiency numbers are missing, consumption net, consumption gros and current rated efficiency. Total logged distance is only 118mi, might this be a factor?
More generally, does anyone know how the data is collected? I thought it would be from Tesla servers but have read that the data is captured directly from the car. Any links that help explain this - just curious.

I've a couple of minor questions, anyone help or better on github?

My stats show the Driver and Passenger temperature permanently at 20degC, presume this data may be S/X models?
Efficiency numbers are missing, consumption net, consumption gros and current rated efficiency. Total logged distance is only 118mi, might this be a factor?
More generally, does anyone know how the data is collected? I thought it would be from Tesla servers but have read that the data is captured directly from the car. Any links that help explain this - just curious.
Where are you seeing passenger temperature? Mine shows Driver, Inside and Outside temps on the overview.

The efficiency figures won’t appear until it’s got enough data.

The data definitely comes from the Tesla servers, not the car directly.

Where are you seeing passenger temperature? Mine shows Driver, Inside and Outside temps on the overview.

You have to look for it! Thanks for the other answers.

upload_2020-4-27_14-47-23.png

Pretty much all set up now, just need to sort a backup out. Those of you using a Pi, what are you doing to automate a backup?

Any other tips for customising Grafana and adding the preset boards to one dashboard etc?
Which Pi are you running it on?

I've no idea on Grafana. It’s all I could do to get the thing working at all. :eek:

As for automated backup, ditto, not a clue. I’m just running the backup manually once a week, then copying the file from the Pi to my iMac using SCP. I was quite pleased with myself that I’d managed to work that out!

So if you do get an automated backup sorted out, please share :)