Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've added bhp into a custom version of drives.. :D

This wasn't long after installing TM, so some testing of acceleration too... :) 548bhp is my personal best

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 16.39.11.png

New Tesla - Check
Pi with TeslaMate running - Check
Data pulling through - Check
Right foot too heavy, not sure...
Recent drives summary
View attachment 578964

The top three were just pottering around town, one is missing a calc and the other two seem poor.
Any max power above 180 is me "testing" acceleration :rolleyes:

Does this look normal compared to other people?

Thanks

I don't do TeslaMate but those consumption figures can't mean consumption surely? 61.96kWh must be something like battery capacity?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm running the latest version (1.19.4)of Teslamate on my Rpi3b+. I originally installed BigTony's Pi image on v1.12 and it has been working great since then. I have always been missing the first 10 to 15 minutes of the drives since day 1. I thought I read that this was fixed in the newer version somewhere. Is there a setting I need to do somewhere to make sure the drives get picked up from the beginning?

Hi Guys,

I'm running the latest version (1.19.4)of Teslamate on my Rpi3b+. I originally installed BigTony's Pi image on v1.12 and it has been working great since then. I have always been missing the first 10 to 15 minutes of the drives since day 1. I thought I read that this was fixed in the newer version somewhere. Is there a setting I need to do somewhere to make sure the drives get picked up from the beginning?
Make sure that in Settings you have the Streaming API enabled, assuming the car has internet access (3G/4G) that should be all that's needed.

Thanks @dakaix, I do have that enabled already. Car has lifetime free LTE data. Is there any other setting?

No, if it's still not working then you may be hitting another issue. As long as the streaming API is enabled, and the car has a 3G signal when you leave it should be fine. I see occasional gaps at the start of a trip where the car disconnects from my home WiFi and I drive into a local blackspot before Teslamate detects I've left (thus starting the trip a short distance away), but thankfully it's pretty rare.

Best thing you can do is to open an Issue on the Teslamate Github, and attach a set of logs ("docker ps" - note the container ID and run: "docker logs <Container ID>") from a test drive.

Not sure those two are specifically tied, but Adrian is holding off updating Grafana to v7 specifically because of a bug with some of the dashboards used in Teslamate.

No reason why other issues couldn't be patched if Adrian felt the need in the meantime.

Last edited:
So I sold my M3 a couple of weeks ago and TeslaMate stores and shows all of the old data, just as I'd hoped / expected. I will be picking up my new MY next week and I would like to start logging data in TeslaMate as soon as I drive off the Tesla lot. So I have a few thoughts / questions about this:

1. Add the new MY to my existing Tesla account.
  2. Will I need to login to my TeslaMate again so that it sees the new vehicle?
  3. Will I need to restart TeslaMate if I have to login again?
  4. Is there any way to rename my old M3 in TeslaMate, so that I can reuse the name for the new MY?
Thanks in advance for all of your help and a Fantastic program!
Stach

So I sold my M3 a couple of weeks ago and TeslaMate stores and shows all of the old data, just as I'd hoped / expected. I will be picking up my new MY next week and I would like to start logging data in TeslaMate as soon as I drive off the Tesla lot. So I have a few thoughts / questions about this:

1. Add the new MY to my existing Tesla account.
  2. Will I need to login to my TeslaMate again so that it sees the new vehicle?
  3. Will I need to restart TeslaMate if I have to login again?
  4. Is there any way to rename my old M3 in TeslaMate, so that I can reuse the name for the new MY?
Thanks in advance for all of your help and a Fantastic program!
Stach

Hi @Stach

From people who've picked up new cars, they've had to restart TeslaMate to get them to see them, not seen any mention of logging in / out again, if you've got a cloud setup you can check whilst you are collecting once the car shows in your app :)

In regards to renaming your car, I've got the theory of how to do it, but.... couple of caveats here, firstly I've not tried this, if you are going to have a go, take a backup first! Secondly, if your old car still shows up in your account / app, I wouldn't try and do this yet.

SSH into your pi / cloud instance for TeslaMate
Run: docker ps
Make a note of what your database instance is called, if on a Pi, it might be teslamate_database_1 mine however on GCP is firstname_surname_database_1
Run: docker exec -it teslamate_database_1 psql -U teslamate (substituting the database name as above)
You are now connected to the live DB for TeslaMate
Run: SELECT * FROM cars;
This will now list out cars associated to your account, make a note of the id (probably 1)
Run: UPDATE cars SET name = 'Staches Model 3' WHERE id = 1; (substituting Staches Model 3 with whatever name you want and 1 with whatever number the id was that was returned)
If you now run: SELECT * FROM cars;
You should see the new car name
To quit the DB session: \q

Hopefully that works for you, but please take a backup first, the above is just based on what data exists, I wouldn't want you knackering your data on something untested.

Dave.

Just updated my bulk import post on my site with the three latest Superchargers to go live :)

Code:
INSERT INTO public.geofences (name, latitude, longitude, radius, inserted_at, updated_at, cost_per_kwh, session_fee) VALUES ('Wyboston Supercharger', 52.202366, -0.291631, 35, '2020-08-27 05:36:00 ', '2020-08-27 05:36:00 ', 0.24, NULL);
INSERT INTO public.geofences (name, latitude, longitude, radius, inserted_at, updated_at, cost_per_kwh, session_fee) VALUES ('Hilton Park, Southbound Supercharger', 52.644065, -2.054251, 35, '2020-08-09 05:29:00 ', '2020-08-09 05:29:00 ', 0.24, NULL);
INSERT INTO public.geofences (name, latitude, longitude, radius, inserted_at, updated_at, cost_per_kwh, session_fee) VALUES ('Leeds-Whitehouse Street Supercharger', 53.784556, -1.532498, 35, '2020-08-09 05:27:00 ', '2020-08-09 05:27:00 ', 0.24, NULL);

Full post here if anyone who hasn't done the bulk import wants to (or just needs a reminder of the instructions to add the above), I've also updated the Washington Supercharger location, the supplied latitude / longitude were incorrect:

TeslaMate - How to bulk import UK Supercharger locations - TeslaEV.co.uk

Hi @Stach

Hopefully that works for you, but please take a backup first, the above is just based on what data exists, I wouldn't want you knackering your data on something untested.

Dave.

Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to list these detailed instructions, as they worked perfectly! Hopefully others will find this information useful as well. +10

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W. and DaveW