Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a TeslaMate user, but am one of those folks that has been running locally on my home laptop my own Python based logger which I wrote. If someone in this community can provide some reasonable direction for how you can implement your own code using the new Tesla API, I'd really appreciate some guidance. From what I think I understand from my limited initial investigation of the new API, not clear how I do that without having my own web domain to register it.

My programming skills date back to the days of punch cards and FORTRAN (anyone here ever programmed an analog computer???), so I'm much more skilled at the application side once I have the data, so the whole new registered token security credential process is a bit baffling to me.

Thanks in advance!
Location data now appears to only be available through the streaming API. But all these things are likely to change next year:

There does seem to be support in the new world for location data but how easy it will be to implement and whether you need to pay for the priviledge is still a little unknown. There is some info on the number of calls you can make, I've not really looked into it other than a passing read

Location data now appears to only be available through the streaming API. But all these things are likely to change next year:

There does seem to be support in the new world for location data but how easy it will be to implement and whether you need to pay for the priviledge is still a little unknown. There is some info on the number of calls you can make, I've not really looked into it other than a passing read
Yeah, I'm aware that GPS data is now only provided through the streaming API. The issue is to use any of the new API calls the process to get token seems to be based upon having a registered app, and to do that, this has to be done through a website. That's the piece which I haven't figured out how as an owner, wanting to do this just for my own car, and without running my logger through a website (not locally on my home laptop), haven't figured out how I navigate the new secure login/key process. And that's the part of this that gets well beyond my level of expertise/pay grade.

I'm not a TeslaMate user, but am one of those folks that has been running locally on my home laptop my own Python based logger which I wrote. If someone in this community can provide some reasonable direction for how you can implement your own code using the new Tesla API, I'd really appreciate some guidance. From what I think I understand from my limited initial investigation of the new API, not clear how I do that without having my own web domain to register it.

My programming skills date back to the days of punch cards and FORTRAN (anyone here ever programmed an analog computer???), so I'm much more skilled at the application side once I have the data, so the whole new registered token security credential process is a bit baffling to me.

Thanks in advance!
You need your own website, as you have to upload a public key PEM to it and then register it before you can use the FleetAPI with your app id/key (I used their CURL example).

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy
I blithely updated to the latest Tesla firmware. I have not been tracking this thread. Stupid mistake. I have updated to teslamate-fork which is in a proxmox debian LXC and a Google GCP instance and am happy to report it is reporting again on both installs. Thank you author of this fork. I hope this gets folded back into the original. I also hope this doesn't come back and bite me on the butt.

Reactions: Mark-YSR
I blithely updated to the latest Tesla firmware. I have not been tracking this thread. Stupid mistake. I have updated to teslamate-fork which is in a proxmox debian LXC and a Google GCP instance and am happy to report it is reporting again on both installs. Thank you author of this fork. I hope this gets folded back into the original. I also hope this doesn't come back and bite me on the butt.
I did the same thing. The teslamatefork wasn't working for me (I kept getting an error when it tried to download), but the seanlw fix at least has my car showing up again (haven't gone for a drive in the 5 minutes since it was installed, but the car location is showing up again).

The whole FleetAPI thing is frustrating from Tesla. If they do implement all this and Teslamate breaks completely, I'm removing all data sharing permissions that I can without impacting my mobile access (heck, at this point I might not even care about that). If Tesla won't share the data they are collecting from me about my vehicle's usage, then I won't share with them anything that I don't have too. It's absolute BS from them.

I can understand charging for data access to services that make a profit from the data, but not charging and or limiting access to end users with self-hosted devices.

Thanks all for keeping the code fixed and up-to-date. I just updated my docker images but it is not connecting or getting the latest status. I am on 38.6 version in the car. The SOC is still from yesterday (83%) and the current SOC is 31%. Do I need to re-authenticate the Tesla API access? No drives from today recorded. I had a LTE connection issue in the car after leaving for the first drive after updating to 38.6 but came back to life after about 15 mins. Any advice much appreciated.

Edit:
Looks like the Octopus is also is having issues connecting to the Tesla API (according to the IO thread)- maybe it's down?

Last edited:
Adrian has spoken, he will not further TeslaMate development after merging the current location fix. He’s open to adding to the administration team 👀
I really only do programming as a hobby now, so won't be able to keep up with a community project. But this is something I would have loved to get involved in.

I will have a crack at a personal project though.

Saw the release notification from Adrian last night so just catching up with this thread...

There's talk here of the new API (Fleet?) being the reason for not recording the drives, but yet it only sems to be impacting those on sw version 2023.38.

Do we mean a new API call that's a part of the current API used to support the Location Sharing function in 2023.38?

1699866918286.png

Or is this function supported in the new fleet API and thus 2 different APIs are now being used to gather data?

I haven't looked into the new API yet but was of the impression that it's not feature complete and wouldn't support the likes of Teslamate, Teslafi, Tessie etc in its current form.