Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the release notification from Adrian last night so just catching up with this thread...

There's talk here of the new API (Fleet?) being the reason for not recording the drives, but yet it only sems to be impacting those on sw version 2023.38.

Do we mean a new API call that's a part of the current API used to support the Location Sharing function in 2023.38?

View attachment 990319

Or is this function supported in the new fleet API and thus 2 different APIs are now being used to gather data?

I haven't looked into the new API yet but was of the impression that it's not feature complete and wouldn't support the likes of Teslamate, Teslafi, Tessie etc in its current form.
Both of our cars are on 2023.38.6 and TeslaFi continues to get location and journey information.

Reactions: Medved_77
Saw the release notification from Adrian last night so just catching up with this thread...

There's talk here of the new API (Fleet?) being the reason for not recording the drives, but yet it only sems to be impacting those on sw version 2023.38.

Do we mean a new API call that's a part of the current API used to support the Location Sharing function in 2023.38?

View attachment 990319

Or is this function supported in the new fleet API and thus 2 different APIs are now being used to gather data?

I haven't looked into the new API yet but was of the impression that it's not feature complete and wouldn't support the likes of Teslamate, Teslafi, Tessie etc in its current form.
The fleet API is something different and in early testing, this is a change to the existing API call

Both of our cars are on 2023.38.6 and TeslaFi continues to get location and journey information.
TeslaFi may have implemented a fix for their location data before it became a problem. They are already working on the new Fleet API. From their update notes 3 weeks ago:

New:​

• We have begun implementing Tesla's new official Fleet API. Tesla Fleet API
    The Fleet API is currently in discovery phase which allows us to test and prepare for the new API, but it is to limited to use in production currently until Tesla announces more information.

Reactions: jsight
Teslafi will probably be getting the location from the streaming API which is why they can still do it.

The "old way" seems to be a simple API which returned a bunch of stuff like charging details, location, status etc and thats had the location info removed.
There was also a streaming feed which things like the map uses. If you upgrade to the 38.6 the new icon only seems to appear if you open the app and look at the map section, when you just open the app and get charge level etc it doesn't show

The new way requires all sorts of tokens and potentially the 3rd parties paying for use and some new requests, I doubt anyone is actually using this in anger including Teslafi.

init6: I'm curious what you, and others, plan to do going forward. It sounds like Adrian has just posted his last update to TeslaMate.

I did some research in to TeslaFi and Tessie. As of now I'm leaning towards Tessie. I'm not happy about paying and not having something that runs on my hardware.

I'd love to learn from the community here, see what everyone is planning. Thanks!

init6: I'm curious what you, and others, plan to do going forward. It sounds like Adrian has just posted his last update to TeslaMate.

I did some research in to TeslaFi and Tessie. As of now I'm leaning towards Tessie. I'm not happy about paying and not having something that runs on my hardware.

I'd love to learn from the community here, see what everyone is planning. Thanks!
I don't mind paying if something has a post-1982 interface, so if Teslamate becomes unworkable I'll likely move to Tessie :)
I may teach myself Elixir to prolong the life of my instance though.

I don't know about others but I'm not doing anything until we know whats possible in the new world and how much it will cost. I know Tessie are saying they offer a lifetime subscription but they won't if Tesla start charging them more than they make, or they'll degrade the service (frequency of polling as the fees appear to be transaction volume) which may render it useless.

Sit tight, use the current Teslamate until it stops for good and see what the world looks like at the time is my plan.

I don't mind paying if something has a post-1982 interface, so if Teslamate becomes unworkable I'll likely move to Tessie :)
I may teach myself Elixir to prolong the life of my instance though.

I know what you mean. At first I was leaning towards TeslaFi, but gosh...no app and it looks like Windows 1995. I'm a Mac guy, so I definitely don't want a Windows 1995 look.

And I have the impression TeslaFi tracks much more than Tessie, but I think it tracks the things I care about the most...so it'll work. And I like that the developer is active here on these forums.

And paying isn't the end of the world, perhaps Adrian would have wanted to keep TeslaMate going if there was a dependable financial incentive (rather than only a donation model).

I have signed on to continue communal support of TeslaMate and have been active in the repo for years. However, I have zero Elixir programming skills and that is where the core of TeslaMate's functionality comes from. There are discussions to move it to another language or as previously mentioned, move to TeslaLogger. I do not like that TeslaLogger sends data back.

As previously mentioned, I have also asked TeslaScope about a TeslaMate import functionality. They added it to their backlog and will look into it. But heard nothing yet.

My desire option is self-hosted and not provide data / credentials to a third-party. But alas, we shall see where it goes. I have also debated just dropping any data logging all together.

Reactions: init6
I have signed on to continue communal support of TeslaMate and have been active in the repo for years. However, I have zero Elixir programming skills and that is where the core of TeslaMate's functionality comes from. There are discussions to move it to another language or as previously mentioned, move to TeslaLogger. I do not like that TeslaLogger sends data back.

As previously mentioned, I have also asked TeslaScope about a TeslaMate import functionality. They added it to their backlog and will look into it. But heard nothing yet.

My desire option is self-hosted and not provide data / credentials to a third-party. But alas, we shall see where it goes. I have also debated just dropping any data logging all together.
in order to switch back to the updated (last update) of official - all I need to change image location?
or in general, there will be some other changes for location?

There are discussions to move it to another language or as previously mentioned, move to TeslaLogger. I do not like that TeslaLogger sends data back.
I thought TeslaLogger only shares if you toggle on the anonymous data collection? Is there something else they're sharing? From the app:

1699903499002.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja