TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla's hidden feature for entering address or URL

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AlexG, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AlexG

AlexG Member

I have made a video about a hidden feature that I have recently learn about how you can enter a location address or a website URL into your Tesla UI before you even get into the car. Please follow the simple instructions in the video and your life will be just a little easier :)

YouTube video:

If you have other features to share - please do so, I'd love to know!

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Very cool. I like it. Thanks for sharing!

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Spoiler alert - If you want to save 2min 45seconds of your life, just use the calendar notes or address. Then you can click on them in the shared calendar on the car.

• Like x 14
    • Love x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

For directions -- or you could just say "navigate to...and say the address" and avoid typing.

• Like x 2
  5. KF94563

KF94563 Member

Watch my video and I'll let you know. ; )

6. AlexG

AlexG Member

That's another video :) Plus, many times people end up getting an address of the destination before they even get to the car. So, this tip is for that case scenario

7. AlexG

AlexG Member

Some people want to actually be walked through it. Plus, you have to admit the background of my video is worth watching :)

• Like x 1
  8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Good tip but it took too long to get to a simple point. No need to drag it out.

Here's another tip if you want all of your favourite bookmarks in your car and you have a ton of them like me. You download all of your bookmarks to a file, attach it to an email, then email it to yourself. Then open that email in the web browser in the car. In my webmail server, the email with the html file attached has: "download" and "view" beside it. I click "view" and it opens in the browser with all my favourites as links. Then you just press on the one you want to go to that site. It's also a good way to set up your favourites in the car's browser.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Tam

Tam Active Member

I also thought the same thing but Tesla's browser seems not to remember Gmail log in credentials so it's quite a hassle that I have to re-enter it each time I get in my Tesla.

• Like x 1
  10. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Why would you use the painfully slow browser vs your smartphone?

Tesla should enable screen mirroring for smartphones.

• Like x 5
  11. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hidden? Hack?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. AlexG

AlexG Member

WOW, really? Less than 3 minutes to save you much more time than that and it's still too long and inconvenient? LOL BTW, I have not followed your tip as I read it twice. Maybe make a video out of it? :)

13. AlexG

AlexG Member

Yes. Why?

14. AlexG

AlexG Member

What is the current alternative?

15. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I'm just posting to get a dislike from EverythingTSLA.

• Funny x 8
    • Disagree x 1
  16. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#16 Canuck, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Because it's a $600 fine in BC to even hold your phone while driving, plus points on your licence. No thanks.

Also, I don't find the browser to be as bad as people say it is. I did upgrade to LTE but even without LTE it's not like I am in a hurry while driving. I'm not sitting at a desk only surfing the web so who cares if it's slow. I click on a link and check back when it loads.

Here's what happened to me a few months back. The cops here hide out in stop and go traffic watching for people on their phones. I was stopped before the Oak Street bridge, notorious for long lines and slow traffic, typing an email on my browser, when a cop emerged from hiding, walked right passed my vehicle, looked in at me typing the email (and quickly stopping), then pointed to the guy behind me and had him pull over. I know he thought twice about having me pull over too but I got a pass. That's why I use the browser and not my phone.

When I first got my car just over three years ago the browser remembered the passwords until a reboot. That all changed with v.7 -- and why they did that is beyond me. Plus, now it's really difficult to get the keyboard to pop up when logging into hotmail. But with my work email, I can login relatively quickly.

My tip was really for access to bookmarks that you don't use a lot but want sometimes in the car. The ones use a lot I make bookmarks in the car's browser.

17. Drekar

Drekar Member

#17 Drekar, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Nice suggestion. Sort of like Chromecast. I would love to watch a podcast, while supercharging, on my 17" screen instead of my 5.5" iPhone screen. Would also be a way around the painfully slow browser. Also would resolve the issue of how to get links into the Tesla browser. Tesla should consider this. If necessary, only enable while the car is in park.

• Like x 1
  18. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Don't worry, it's all coming by the end of 2014:

Tesla Model S to get app support and Chrome by late 2014 (video)

Google and Tesla combine forces to bring Chrome inside the Model S by end of 2014

With "Tesla time" accounted for, it should be here in about 5 more years.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

So you create an event in your calendar using your phone, tablet, computer, include a URL in the event, then in the car when it syncs to your phone calendar you open the calendar app, select the event, find the URL in the event, select it and the car browser will open that URL.

Thanks, got it.

For those who don't want to watch the 3 minute video, that is a text description that you can read in less than 10 seconds.

• Like x 3
  20. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Understoood the tip was helpful.

Just because you didn't get in trouble doesn't make distracted driving right. Hopefully you don't hit someone while typing emails on your display.. that'd be just one more thing for the tesla naysayers to rant about so I'm sure soon enough tesla will restrict the browser to only when the car is in park