Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Calif. with no front plate: Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if California requires front plates, why does Tesla NOT put proper front plate holders on its cars? Is it all aesthetics?
I'm in NJ where its required and everyone (just about) keeps front plates on their cars. Putting on the Tesla front frame with the double sided tape feels like its going to fall off when I hit a bump (it hasn't so far).

Most people dont want holes in their bumper for the front plate so dont mind this double stick tape. I have not seen any threads I can remember of the front plate holder falling off when mounted with the double stick tape.

Reactions: Luvtoride
When I picked up my 2022 X at the factory there was a piece of paper in the car telling me the SC would install the front plate holder at no cost. My guess is Elon thinks the plate looks dumb. And I agree with that.

No new BMW I ever got (In CA) had the front plate installed, either. The dealerships would all install them for you free if you wanted (by drilling them into the bumper as they were designed), but they were delivered with the front plate holder in the trunk, and a question from the salesperson on if you wanted it installed.

Its more unusual to see a BMW / Porsche / Audi with a US front plate on in CA than off, at least from my non scientific experience.

• Love
Reactions: Need and jboy210
No new BMW I ever got (In CA) had the front plate installed, either. The dealerships would all install them for you free if you wanted (by drilling them into the bumper as they were designed), but they were delivered with the front plate holder in the trunk, and a question from the salesperson on if you wanted it installed.

Its more unusual to see a BMW / Porsche / Audi with a US front plate on in CA than off, at least from my non scientific experience.
My experience with BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti was the same. Might be because they were all Hendricks Motors dealerships but given the lack of front plates, I think it is pretty common.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If I use the front plate sticker, I would just put small piece of 3M film on the bumper first. I did that with my HOV stickers. The red stickers expired this year and they came off really easily without any damage to the paint.
Which 3m film did you use. I have some stickers sitting in their envelope because I do not want them to mess up the paint.

I ran my Model S for many years in California with no front plate. Finally got a ticket when parked on the street in San Francisco.
It was a "fix it ticket". I put the front plate on, went to our local Sheriff's office and had a "peace officer" certify that I now had a front plate.
Hassle but no fine.
On my new Model S, I just put the plate on it when I got it... less hassle and worry.

Yup. One time I pull into LAX arrival on the ramp is that goes down and a cop was standing there stopping every car going down. He would look and wave each car thru. When it was my turn, he asked where is my front license plate of my X5. I said it is in the trunk. He asked why. I said because the dealer didn't install it. He just waved me thru.🤣

Why the disrespect for Senior Citizens?

I'm in my 80s and I have NO disrespect for senior citizens!

I feel, in general, seniors follow the law and don't even think about the plates on front of their car. Therefore, taking off the plates is me symbolically talking myself out of being a senior into a cool, rebelliously younger realm.

I installed a yoke on my 3 and I feel the same way when I place my hands on the yoke and start driving. Inside, I'm driving a go-cart and that also makes me feel like a kid again.

Love my 3

Last edited:
I will chime in here. Personally I do not like the look of vehicles with front plates. I've lived in New Jersey for over 30 years and now California for the last 10-12. Both states require a front plate. I have NEVER had a front plate on any of my vehicles and I can count on one hand the number of tickets I've received in over 25 years of driving.

Most of those tickets have been during my younger days where (like others have said), it provides a reason for police to pull you over. In the last 10+ years of driving, no issue. Knock on wood.

As others have said, it depends highly on where you live/drive/park. In certain parts of Los Angeles, they will ticket you while parked. In other areas, they don't care. Fortunately I live in a place that doesn't care as much.

Take this advice. If you're going to drive without a plate, try not to do anything else that attracts unwanted attention (driving recklessly, etc). Don't commit more than 1 crime at a time. :p

The Model S (I think that's the only Tesla that does) comes with the plate bracket pre-mounted. It can be removed as it is held on by double-sided tape. If done cleanly, there should be no marks/holes/residue behind it.

EDIT: Some pics. Before w/bracket and after.

01F18F48-BE52-4A62-8B0A-C3307BD899F2.jpeg

350F59B1-E4D2-4362-AA7F-15B67175D9BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoMike
I will chime in here. Personally I do not like the look of vehicles with front plates. I've lived in New Jersey for over 30 years and now California for the last 10-12. Both states require a front plate. I have NEVER had a front plate on any of my vehicles and I can count on one hand the number of tickets I've received in over 25 years of driving.

Most of those tickets have been during my younger days where (like others have said), it provides a reason for police to pull you over. In the last 10+ years of driving, no issue. Knock on wood.

As others have said, it depends highly on where you live/drive/park. In certain parts of Los Angeles, they will ticket you while parked. In other areas, they don't care. Fortunately I live in a place that doesn't care as much.

Take this advice. If you're going to drive without a plate, try not to do anything else that attracts unwanted attention (driving recklessly, etc). Don't commit more than 1 crime at a time. :p

The Model S (I think that's the only Tesla that does) comes with the plate bracket pre-mounted. It can be removed as it is held on by double-sided tape. If done cleanly, there should be no marks/holes/residue behind it.

EDIT: Some pics. Before w/bracket and after.

View attachment 862162

View attachment 862163

Looks beautiful

I think it's the luck of the draw. I too like the clean look of no front plate, but I was pulled over for no front plate a few years back. I was waiting to take a left turn at the light and the cop saw me from across the street, waited for me to make the turn, got behind me, and pulled me over. While he was writing the ticket, there must have been 30+ cars that passed with no front plate. This was in Irvine, CA by the way, where there are PLENTY of cars without a front plate.

I've since installed front plates on both our Y and X just so I don't need to go through that hassle again. Plus like others said, it helps avoid a reason to pull you over. We have tint (including the front windshield) on both cars and would hate to be pulled over for no front plate, then get cited for tint too :mad:

I've lived in NY for my entire life other than the last seven years when I moved to NJ. I've never had a front plate on any of my cars and I've never gotten a ticket for it either. I even got a speeding ticket in my M3 (BMW M3, not Tesla) and had no front plate and the cop didn't ticket me for the plate, just the speeding.