Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Calif. with no front plate: Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's the luck of the draw. I too like the clean look of no front plate, but I was pulled over for no front plate a few years back. I was waiting to take a left turn at the light and the cop saw me from across the street, waited for me to make the turn, got behind me, and pulled me over. While he was writing the ticket, there must have been 30+ cars that passed with no front plate. This was in Irvine, CA by the way, where there are PLENTY of cars without a front plate.

I've since installed front plates on both our Y and X just so I don't need to go through that hassle again. Plus like others said, it helps avoid a reason to pull you over. We have tint (including the front windshield) on both cars and would hate to be pulled over for no front plate, then get cited for tint too :mad:
The lack of a front plate was just an excuse to pull you over and write you a ticket for something. If you did have a front plate, the cop would have written you a ticket for something else. It's not like having the front plate would have prevented you from getting a ticket because if a cop wants to write you a ticket, he'll find something to write you up for.

Reactions: theocguy
I think it's the luck of the draw. I too like the clean look of no front plate, but I was pulled over for no front plate a few years back. I was waiting to take a left turn at the light and the cop saw me from across the street, waited for me to make the turn, got behind me, and pulled me over. While he was writing the ticket, there must have been 30+ cars that passed with no front plate. This was in Irvine, CA by the way, where there are PLENTY of cars without a front plate.

I've since installed front plates on both our Y and X just so I don't need to go through that hassle again. Plus like others said, it helps avoid a reason to pull you over. We have tint (including the front windshield) on both cars and would hate to be pulled over for no front plate, then get cited for tint too :mad:
Irvine police likes to pull cars over for very little reason. My nephew does not have a front plate but he put one on the front dash. That was supposed to be the cool thing to do but still legal because anyone in the front could clearing see the front plate. That was according to his friends, but the cop does not think so LOL.

The lack of a front plate was just an excuse to pull you over and write you a ticket for something. If you did have a front plate, the cop would have written you a ticket for something else. It's not like having the front plate would have prevented you from getting a ticket because if a cop wants to write you a ticket, he'll find something to write you up for.

I've heard that people will tint their car illegally or leave off the front plate (small violations like those) for a cop to have something "smaller" to write up instead of a speeding ticket, for example. I'm not sure how well that works, but I was with a friend of mine when he got pulled over for speeding by a State Trooper and he ended up only getting ticketed for his tint. So I guess it worked out well for him.

Which 3m film did you use. I have some stickers sitting in their envelope because I do not want them to mess up the paint.
They don’t mess up the paint. Just a real pain in the ass to remove when they’re expired. That’s why you see Leafs with their 10 year old stickers still attached.

Removed my wife’s Volt stickers. No damage. They were on when we bought. Tesla wears 3M clear under the sticker. Bought off Amazon.

They don’t mess up the paint. Just a real pain in the ass to remove when they’re expired. That’s why you see Leafs with their 10 year old stickers still attached.

Removed my wife’s Volt stickers. No damage. They were on when we bought. Tesla wears 3M clear under the sticker. Bought off Amazon.
I attached mine to a magnetic sheet (cut out in the shape of the sticker). Goes on when in use, comes off immediately when no longer in use.

For CA drivers out there, are you mounting your front license plates? I see about 80% in my area without front plates. I was planning to follow “the law” but the OEM double sided tape plate holder looks so cheap. The Quick Bandit is nice but not sure if it’s worth the price. Thanks

For CA drivers out there, are you mounting your front license plates? I see about 80% in my area without front plates. I was planning to follow “the law” but the OEM double sided tape plate holder looks so cheap. The Quick Bandit is nice but not sure if it’s worth the price. Thanks

(moderator note)

Merged question into thread on very similar topic in the subforum for the region of the question.

never had a front plate on any vehicle I've owned over the years, they are ugly and in the case of tesla create more drag.
I now have NV plates but i live in CA so they (CHP) cant do anything about it anyway, also NV has the same you have to have a front plate law but just like CA its very rarely enforced and knock on wood I've not had a problem when I'm driving in NV.

never had a front plate on any vehicle I've owned over the years, they are ugly and in the case of tesla create more drag.
I now have NV plates but i live in CA so they (CHP) cant do anything about it anyway
I'm not sure that's ever been litigated in court. VA bans RADAR detectors and officers pull over and ticket out of state drivers for using them. Having an out of state vehicle doesn't exempt you from following the laws of the state you are driving in so CHP could pull over an AZ vehicle for having darker than 70% tint on the front windows too (for example). It would take a ruling by a higher court that a state cannot enforce its own laws against out of state vehicles to make it where this can't happen and as far as I am aware, no such ruling exists.

I got a ticket in Beverly Hills for no front plate. Literally pulled me over for no other reason...

Nowadays I always have a plate, and I have a vinyl plate on the front.

FYI, I got some PPF film, and mounted the stick-on plate to the film, and then water to mount the film to the car. That way I can always take it off if I need to.
(I did the same film trick with my carpool stickers.)

Definitely depends on the person. I'd pull people over for speed but if they were cool, or made me laugh (and they weren't drunk/high/unlicensed etc) I'd give them a fix it ticket. Unless it was your bday, then I'd just let you go (again, if they were weren't drunk/high/etc) :)

Starting to think I should not do it. The odds are, if there were 500 Tesla's in my small town, I would be the one getting the ticket
I'm with you, JimShaw. I live in NJ, where front plates are required, but I see a growing number of cars without. I just know, if I took mine off, I wouldn't get more than 100 yards from my driveway before I got ticketed!

I'm on my second M3. Purchased one in 2019, sold in 2021 and purchased another in Dec. 2021.

I have ALWAYS had the front plate on both cars and now considering taking the plate off.

In California one can get a ticket for no front plate

FOR THOSE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA RUNNING NO FRONT PLATE, HAVE YOU RECEIVED A TICKET??
any major metro area will ticket you esp when parked