Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's reason for not adding spare tires, doesn't make sense.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or a shop that just doesn't want to go to all that work for such a little return and risk.
It's a trivial amount of work (literally seconds more to cut out that section of foam with a knife) compared to the rest of the tire repair (which is exactly the same as any other tire). If a shop has that attitude they would probably not be a shop that offers tire patching in the first place.

I really wished Tesla put spare tires on their vehicles. My Mercedes has a very compact space saving and light spare. The spare tires are vacuumed and the side walls collapse and fold inwards, the outside tires then compressed straight into the wheels taking very little space. It is also light. Mercedes even provides white gloves, which goes with the tires. You just pump the spare with the provided pump before installing. Light space saving tires exist, Tesla could add this type of light and space saving tires, vs customers having to cut areas of the trunk to add bulky spares.

I get that only a small percentage of people get flat tires and it is supposedly heavy, therefore Tesla omits it, but it is so much quicker to replace a flat, 15 min, vs waiting for hours for the service van to fix your flat or drag you to the nearest service center. It’s like saying a small percentage of our vehicles get into accidents so we just omit airbags. If you ever get a flat, you want a spare and light space saving spares now exist and I’m sure with Tesla’s smart engineering team they can design an even more compact and lighter spare.
I could not agree more. One additional point, for those of us who live more than 50 miles from a service center, a flat is a bigger problem than those who live closer than 50 miles. It is not right to spend over 50K for a car and not at least get the option for a spare. I have ordered an after market spare.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I really wished Tesla put spare tires on their vehicles. My Mercedes has a very compact space saving and light spare. The spare tires are vacuumed and the side walls collapse and fold inwards, the outside tires then compressed straight into the wheels taking very little space. It is also light. Mercedes even provides white gloves, which goes with the tires. You just pump the spare with the provided pump before installing. Light space saving tires exist, Tesla could add this type of light and space saving tires, vs customers having to cut areas of the trunk to add bulky spares.

I get that only a small percentage of people get flat tires and it is supposedly heavy, therefore Tesla omits it, but it is so much quicker to replace a flat, 15 min, vs waiting for hours for the service van to fix your flat or drag you to the nearest service center. It’s like saying a small percentage of our vehicles get into accidents so we just omit airbags. If you ever get a flat, you want a spare and light space saving spares now exist and I’m sure with Tesla’s smart engineering team they can design an even more compact and lighter spare.
It is true that flat do not happen often, when when it does it could be dramatic. At 3AM in the morning, I went through a 2-miles road work zone on the I-5 freeway and within 20 minutes the LHS rear tires of my MYLR was 'flapping'. There was no alarm from the low pressure tire sensor (it was only activated about an hour later) and I drove to the next exit, ruining the tire in the process. Luckily I was able to buy a small compressor from the gas station and pump the tire every 15' to reach a tire shop.
My advice: always carry [1] a small compressor, either pedal or 12 VDC operated [2] a can of 'fix-a-flat' water based slime+gas. These $20+ purchase (Harbor Freight compressor $10 plus Walmart 'large tire fix-a-flt' canister $10) will be your best chance to survive a flat in adverse conditions.
And DO warn other Tesla drivers that they do NOT have a spare tire !

Reactions: zoomer0056
It's a trivial amount of work (literally seconds more to cut out that section of foam with a knife) compared to the rest of the tire repair (which is exactly the same as any other tire). If a shop has that attitude they would probably not be a shop that offers tire patching in the first place.
Doesn't that require demounting at least one side of the tire?

I’ve driven close to a million miles in a dozen cars over the last ~30 years. I’ve literally never needed or used a spare tire.

Might I someday be able to use one? Maybe. Is that worth carrying one everywhere I go for a million miles? I’m gonna say no.

Plug kit and compressor has come in handy many times but that’s all I’ve ever needed.
I’ve been driving for nearly 40 years now and we’ll over a million miles, and in my ownership of about as many cars as years, I’ve had 1 flat tire. And I woke up to it being flat.
I carry a small compressor and fix-a-flat for the “just in case” situation, just like you. And if that doesn’t work, I have road side service with my insurance company.
I also don’t think the spare tire is needed and Tesla is not exactly what we call a company that gives owners extras. Hell, to save a few Pennie’s they won’t include floor mats on the base model 3 and pulled the USS’s on all cars. Anyone that thinks Tesla will ever add a spare tire is delusional.

Doesn't that require demounting at least one side of the tire?
Tire patching requires demounting the tire regardless of if it has foam or not, because the patch is applied from the inside. It also allows the shop to inspect the inside for hidden damage. No reputable shop will do a plug from the outside.

Plugs are what people do themselves, officially as a temporary repair, although if applied properly, many plugs last the remaining life of the tire. If you use a plug, the foam is irrelevant, the plug will still work the same.

A spare tire loses air if it's not inflated periodically.
A long time ago I had flat tire on the road. I removed to spare tire to replace but I found that the spare tire already lost a lot of air. I mounted the spare tire anyway because I already removed it out. At the time I brought the tire to the tire shop, the spare time was damaged and could not be used anymore.

People can buy a light battery air pump to put in the car to temporarily inflate the tire before driving to the tire shop now. Don't forget to recharge the battery of the pump periodically though.

Last edited:
I could not agree more. One additional point, for those of us who live more than 50 miles from a service center, a flat is a bigger problem than those who live closer than 50 miles.
ANY TIRE SHOP, can fix your flat. No shortage of tire shops in your town.

In my experience Discount Tire / America’s Tire (same company) will fix your flat for free as a good will jester hoping you buy future tires from them.

IMG_0844.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I was going to say the same thing. Who buys a rechargeable compressor? That’s an item you should never have to worry about, much less remembering to recharge it every month or so?!?
  • Lithium batteries do not self-discharge in a month.
  • Cordless makes it more flexible and easier to use.
  • Can be used as an emergency power source.
  • Can also be used with a cord if needed.
  • Cords are for olds.