Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas With Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I googled but couldn't find info on which countries disallow salvage title cars. I know I could export a salvage titled car from the US to Switzerland or Germany, for example, as I've considered doing that in the past, but it's not clear to me if they disallow the re-registration of insurance totaled vehicles within their countries.
I wonder if it's a bond issue permit thing.

So is anyone DC fast charging for like a solid 30 minutes? I charged today on an evgo station and it turned off after 13 minutes. I restarted it on my phone while in a store and got another minute before it turned off again. Rinse, repeat, 2 more times. Similarly, 2 weeks ago I charged at the same station and got 9 min before it turned off. I'm not sure this is station related, I have to test more. Btw, during the supercharging days I could charge for a consistent 30 minutes and more on a 75kw station.

So is anyone DC fast charging for like a solid 30 minutes? I charged today on an evgo station and it turned off after 13 minutes. I restarted it on my phone while in a store and got another minute before it turned off again. Rinse, repeat, 2 more times. Similarly, 2 weeks ago I charged at the same station and got 9 min before it turned off. I'm not sure this is station related, I have to test more. Btw, during the supercharging days I could charge for a consistent 30 minutes and more on a 75kw station.
How many stations have you tried at?

Since my first tests with chademo I have seen slightly faster speeds. Up to 30kwh. It's still not clear if tesla is slowing things down or if chademo chargers are just bad.

I'm definitely bitter tesla disabled supercharging. I wish they'd put some effort into identifying cars that actually represent a safety or publicity risk instead of blanket disabling everyone. No supercharging has a big impact on the usability of the car.
I recently made a big mistake and bought a salvaged 2019 model 3. Buying the Chademo Tesla Adapter worth it? Yes tesla said my car is blacklisted and the dealership I bought the car from about thirty days ago doesn’t sound like they care. I just need some help and advice. Dealership didn’t tell me about this issue and I didn’t do my homework good enough.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I recently made a big mistake and bought a salvaged 2019 model 3. Buying the Chademo Tesla Adapter worth it? Yes tesla said my car is blacklisted and the dealership I bought the car from about thirty days ago doesn’t sound like they care. I just need some help and advice. Dealership didn’t tell me about this issue and I didn’t do my homework good enough.

...sounds like a troll post but... What do you need help and advice on?

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
May be not entirely helpful since I have no Tesla but I do use EVgo DC FCs via CCS on my Bolt and not CHAdeMO (since Bolt's don't have CHAdeMO) but on properly working EVgo DC FCs, I've charged all the way until the session limit (e.g. 45 minutes) or the Home Page - DRIVEtheARC reservation time slot has run out.
2 stations only so far. 1st station is the 2 times I mention in my post. 2nd station wouldn't connect/charge at all. Both evgo.
What did Plugshare say for all of the above stations?

For the ones that wouldn't work, did you call EVgo to report it? If I encounter broken stations, I call EVgo about it to report it. Sometimes, they can tell me that nobody has succeeded on charging on that charger or handle at all today or several days.

For instance, at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (Walmart in Milpitas), I've been there when both DC FCs were working fine, including me using one of them. I've also been there when both were broken and unfortunately, someone else reported it and I didn't look first.

Over at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (Lucky on Bernal), I've been there when both were working. I've also been there twice when the reservation station (DC2) was definitely broken but the non-reservation station (DC1) was working fine.

For my most recent trip with DC2 not working, the EVgo CSR did say that nobody had succeeded charging on that station in awhile (days). I moved to DC1 and charged the full 45 minute session limit. I started another session afterward to get my Bolt to 90%.

(I do check in on Plugshare BTW.)
If you are near or frequent Home Page - DRIVEtheARC locations, you can get free or discounted DC FC juice. You just have to go thru sections 4 and 5 of How to Use the DRIVEtheARC App - DRIVEtheARC. You can skip all the other crap that's there. No need to enter your SoC, use their navigation, use voice recognition, etc.

...sounds like a troll post but... What do you need help and advice on?

I wish it was a troll post. I’m absolutely being honest. Worst part is I live in SE Iowa. No it’s not funny! I payed 40k for a car that can’t supercharge. I just need help please. I don’t need ppl
Telling how stupid and dum bluh bluh bluh. I get okay ok. ax auto in ATL seem like there not going to let me return the vehicle. I just need figure out what’s going to be best charging my Tesla on road trips.

My family lives out of town and I constantly see my father at the va hospital in Des Moines. I can make the trip there,but not enough range to make it back. Will chademo adapter work. It’s $600. I need some feed please.
Also is it required by the dealership to tell the buyer it can’t supercharge?

Worst part is I live in SE Iowa.
My family lives out of town and I constantly see my father at the va hospital in Des Moines. I can make the trip there,but not enough range to make it back. Will chademo adapter work. It’s $600.
It is $450 USD: CHAdeMO Adapter.

You may have visited the Canadian page where it is $602 CAD: CHAdeMO Adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I wish it was a troll post. I’m absolutely being honest. Worst part is I live in SE Iowa. No it’s not funny! I payed 40k for a car that can’t supercharge. I just need help please. I don’t need ppl
Telling how stupid and dum bluh bluh bluh. I get okay ok. ax auto in ATL seem like there not going to let me return the vehicle. I just need figure out what’s going to be best charging my Tesla on road trips.

My family lives out of town and I constantly see my father at the va hospital in Des Moines. I can make the trip there,but not enough range to make it back. Will chademo adapter work. It’s $600. I need some feed please.
Good question. I'm not sure you can DC fast charge if Tesla has locked out supercharging. Tesla used to offer an inspection to re-certify a rebuilt car so that supercharging was re-enabled. You had to pay for the inspection. I don't know if they still do that but that's the first place I'd start. Or, you could get the ChaDeMo adapter from Tesla. As Cwerdna said, it's $450, or you can try the CCS1 adapter (third party) for $660. This will give you more options (there are more CCS plugs than ChaDeMo) but you'd be the first to try it as far as I know. CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

Good question. I'm not sure you can DC fast charge if Tesla has locked out supercharging. Tesla used to offer an inspection to re-certify a rebuilt car so that supercharging was re-enabled. You had to pay for the inspection. I don't know if they still do that but that's the first place I'd start. Or, you could get the ChaDeMo adapter from Tesla. As Cwerdna said, it's $450, or you can try the CCS1 adapter (third party) for $660. This will give you more options (there are more CCS plugs than ChaDeMo) but you'd be the first to try it as far as I know. CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

Wow, I had no idea there were CCS adapters. I looked on ebay where you can usually find stuff like that and nothing came up. Regarding fast charging people here with salvage titles have stated they're locked out of supercharging but can still dc fast charge, including me, at 3rd party stations.

Reactions: theothertom
Wow, I had no idea there were CCS adapters. I looked on ebay where you can usually find stuff like that and nothing came up. Regarding fast charging people here with salvage titles have stated they're locked out of supercharging but can still dc fast charge, including me, at 3rd party stations.

It will be interesting for someone that is locked out of Supercharging to try one of these CCS adapters. I think it is likely that the CCS adapter is emulating a Supercharger, so won't work on salvage Teslas. (They probably can't emulate a CHAdeMO adapter as that would limit them to ~50kW.)

You can get a chademo or CCS (maybe as theothertom has posted) adapter and look for those charging stations along your route. Tesla has published in their legal statement (find the link earlier in this thread) that supercharging is cut from salvage title cars. Recently they have also stated in various internal or external proclamations that 3rd party dc fast charging is disabled from salvage title cars but I have yet to read someone's experience that it's disabled.

You should contact a consumer affair division in your state regarding dealer disclosure of supercharging cut on salvage cars. In Ca there's NVMB which might be a good place to start. I think it's nefarious that a dealer didn't disclose supercharging is disabled to you. Supercharging is a key feature on teslas and I'm surprised the discussion never came up. Did they say it could supercharge? Did they disclose that the title was branded at least?

Just noticed this website isn't secure. Seems pretty amateur-ish for a company selling a product to not have secure site especially where they ask you to put in your credit card or paypal credentials. Or am I overreacting?

Attachments

• SETEC POWER.jpg
    SETEC POWER.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 62
You can get a chademo or CCS (maybe as theothertom has posted) adapter and look for those charging stations along your route. Tesla has published in their legal statement (find the link earlier in this thread) that supercharging is cut from salvage title cars. Recently they have also stated in various internal or external proclamations that 3rd party dc fast charging is disabled from salvage title cars but I have yet to read someone's experience that it's disabled.

You should contact a consumer affair division in your state regarding dealer disclosure of supercharging cut on salvage cars. In Ca there's NVMB which might be a good place to start. I think it's nefarious that a dealer didn't disclose supercharging is disabled to you. Supercharging is a key feature on teslas and I'm surprised the discussion never came up. Did they say it could supercharge? Did they disclose that the title was branded at least?

yes the dealership did tell me it was a branded title vehicle. I didn’t think of as a big deal because I’ve never had any issues with a rebuilt vehicle in the past.
Dealership never mentioned a word about supercharging. I waited to long possibly to figure out it wasn’t going to supercharge.
It was nearly a month when I realized it wouldn’t supercharge. It said enable supercharge on my display. Then I called tesla and that’s when the sky fell on me.
I barely made it home after taking my brother home. I was @ 2% life left.
Tesla offered me $35,000 trade in,in which I would eat about $2500 from my financing. That’s if there was no sub frame damage or air bigs weren’t deployed. Judging by the photos I can’t see any of that damage. I’m not sure what the CARFAX says.
Ive contacted ax auto and they haven’t done anything. Worst experience I’ve ever had.

chademo as good as the ccs adapter? I think KC might be my closest dealership. I definitely not making it there without charging or towing the vehicle.

there is nothing good about any of this. Exception that the car runs great. Ax auto shipped my car from ATL to Iowa for free. Several weeks later they picked up my 2014 limited explorer that I traded in.
I hadn’t had a chance at that point to supercharge yet with all the extra hrs I put in at work. 12hrs days you don’t get a lot done.
I typically don’t work a lot of OT,but with covid I said f$&k it since I really couldn’t do anything and I couldn’t visit my father.
I’m just figuring out all options and what steps I need to take next. I did get 60 day 2,700 mile warranty with the vehicle. When I did receive the vehicle two tires were bad and needed replace. Ax auto refunded one tire. I wasn’t completely upset,whatever.

...Tesla offered me $35,000 trade in,in which I would eat about $2500 from my financing. That’s if there was no sub frame damage or air bigs weren’t deployed. Judging by the photos I can’t see any of that damage. I’m not sure what the CARFAX says.
Ive contacted ax auto and they haven’t done anything. Worst experience I’ve ever had.

chademo as good as the ccs adapter? I think KC might be my closest dealership. I definitely not making it there without charging or towing the vehicle.

What kind of salvage Tesla did you buy? M3? Are you saying Tesla is offering you 35k for your current, salvage title Tesla?

Regarding chademo vs ccs I don't think anyone's tested that. People on this thread have tested chademo and it generally, currently works.

What kind of salvage Tesla did you buy? M3? Are you saying Tesla is offering you 35k for your current, salvage title Tesla?

Regarding chademo vs ccs I don't think anyone's tested that. People on this thread have tested chademo and it generally, currently works.

Tesla is offering my 35k. 2019 AWD Long range model 3 22k miles. Should I take that offer if it stands or buy the adapter.
I know I will lose money no matter what. CARFAX came back negative on frame and air bag damage.

Tesla is offering my 35k. 2019 AWD Long range model 3 22k miles. Should I take that offer if it stands or buy the adapter.
I know I will lose money no matter what. CARFAX came back negative on frame and air bag damage.

If they're offering you 35k for a Model 3 AWD with a salvage title I'd take that money and run

That's only 12k less than a brand new 2021 with a clean title, supercharging, and full warranty.