Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas With Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is offering my 35k. 2019 AWD Long range model 3 22k miles. Should I take that offer if it stands or buy the adapter.
I know I will lose money no matter what. CARFAX came back negative on frame and air bag damage.

Wait, what? Tesla is offering you a trade in on your salvage title model 3 for a new model 3? The implication of this is significant if that's the case. What is Tesla going to do with the car? Re-sell it? Certify it with supercharging but not allow certification and supercharging to current owners? If that's true it means Tesla is playing the game that there's a safety issue with branded titles and supercharging needs disabling except when the branded title car is theirs to sell.

If I had to guess whoever he spoke to at Tesla didn't actually understand it was salvaged, just that there'd been an accident that was repaired.

Maybe. But if they looked at the carfax report which I would imagine is the most initial in their checks prior to an offer, the first thing the report would divulge is that the title is branded. Maybe Jran can confirm they've explicitly acknowledged the title is branded.

2020-12-08 13_1.jpg

Last edited:
So is anyone DC fast charging for like a solid 30 minutes?
Yep, I've had two longer session at evgo chargers, no problem. On one occasion I did have a similar issue maybe a minute in, also at an evgo charger. I didn't stick around to play with it but I suspect the adapter needed to be plugged in better and maybe supported.

Tesla is offering my 35k. 2019 AWD Long range model 3 22k miles. Should I take that offer if it stands or buy the adapter.
The Chademo adapter is a good option, it's not as fast as supercharging but it's good, much faster than a typical destination charger.
Does your model 3 have full self driving? You should google the vin and see if you can find pictures of the original damage to the car. If you need help, send me your vin.

I might contact them and ask if they've tested it out on salvage cars.
Curious to hear if you get a response, chademo is good for now but I'd definitely like to get CCS for the long term.
Even better if someone makes a faster adapter.

Last edited:
Curious to hear if you get a response, chademo is good for now but I'd definitely like to get CCS for the long term.
You know there's a CCS adapter available now, right? I think they quote 150kW charging speeds. I haven't seen any reviews of this online so.....
Thread on the adapter: Dc combo for usa port
Adapter web site: CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

You know there's a CCS adapter available now, right? I think they quote 150kW charging speeds. I haven't seen any reviews of this online so.....
Thread on the adapter: Dc combo for usa port
Adapter web site: CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

Thanks, yeah, might buy, but I'll wait to see a few reviews first. Their site says "We will arrange delivery from the middle of December" if they stay on schedule we will see reviews soon!
Their site also says "Current 200A", for comparison the chadmo adapter is limited to 125 amps and peaks around 50kw, so I figure this ccs adapter will peak around 80kw.

How many stations have you tried at?

So a little more testing... I only have Evgo chademo stations around me and the results aren't great but at least they seem to be due to the station and not the car. I went to 2 separate Evgo stations today and 1 would simply shut down after 2 seconds of charging and reboot itself while the other wouldn't connect until I called evgo and they intervened to make the connection happen. I charged for like 20 minutes and ended the session myself so I feel like the car is at least not timing out. Charge power was only 36kw though on that particular station.

I googled but couldn't find info on which countries disallow salvage title cars. I know I could export a salvage titled car from the US to Switzerland or Germany, for example, as I've considered doing that in the past, but it's not clear to me if they disallow the re-registration of insurance totaled vehicles within their countries.
Germany does not and australia doesnt either.

Got a response from SETEC:
"Tesla turn off supercharging for salvage cars , but DC fast charging with CHAdeMO still works .
to be honest , we are not sure if our CCS adapter work for it .
But our CCS adapter is a little similar with CHAdeMO adapter."

So that's a favorable response. I'm looking forward to someone taking one for the team! :)

Got a response from SETEC:
"Tesla turn off supercharging for salvage cars , but DC fast charging with CHAdeMO still works .
to be honest , we are not sure if our CCS adapter work for it .
But our CCS adapter is a little similar with CHAdeMO adapter."

So that's a favorable response. I'm looking forward to someone taking one for the team! :)
Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, someone is going to have to bite the bullet, OR, we could do a "group buy". If we could get 33 people to put up $20 then we would know.

• Funny
Reactions: GZDongles
I bought the SETEC CCS adapter. I'll report here if/when I get it and how it works.

BTW, it seems like these things would be very easy to reverse engineer. I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE, but it seems to me materials to produce this thing are not costly and whatever electronics are in it should be simple enough to engineer.
Thanks for being an early adopter. Looking forward to your review.

So regarding rebuilt or salvage titles... I touched upon this earlier in this thread.

FSD and HW3 upgrade. I have all upgrades purchased on my 2019 salvage M3 and the Monroney displaying it. Tesla has declared non-support for salvage titles so I imagine that means they won't touch it to swap my HW2.5 to HW3? But how do they reconcile not touching it if it's something they've stated they would upgrade? If they declare they won't touch it am I still entitled to receive the HW3 actual hardware item to install myself? To my understanding it's just a hardware swap when going from 2.5 to 3.

FSD and HW3 upgrade. I have all upgrades purchased on my 2019 salvage M3 and the Monroney displaying it. Tesla has declared non-support for salvage titles so I imagine that means they won't touch it to swap my HW2.5 to HW3? But how do they reconcile not touching it if it's something they've stated they would upgrade? If they declare they won't touch it am I still entitled to receive the HW3 actual hardware item to install myself? To my understanding it's just a hardware swap when going from 2.5 to 3.

That will be interesting, but my guess is that Tesla will say that their obligation to install the upgrade ended when the insurance company declared it a total loss and compensated the owner for the value of the car and options, including FSD. (Just like they terminate the warranty and Supercharger support.)

It isn't just a hardware swap, the correct software has to be loaded and configured as well. (My understanding is that in a Model 3 they replace the entire ICE unit which includes the AP and MCU computers.)

That will be interesting, but my guess is that Tesla will say that their obligation to install the upgrade ended when the insurance company declared it a total loss and compensated the owner for the value of the car and options, including FSD. (Just like they terminate the warranty and Supercharger support.)

It isn't just a hardware swap, the correct software has to be loaded and configured as well. (My understanding is that in a Model 3 they replace the entire ICE unit which includes the AP and MCU computers.)

Thanks for that info. I keep going round and round on the logic flow on the insurance company bit. For example, they did pay the owner for the car but at the same time they sold the car (made money on the sale) to the auction lot via my bid and subsequent acquisition.

Another example is that while many or all manufacturers terminate warranty they are obligated to still retain the emissions warranty by the state. This is the contradiction, imo, that transcends into the gray area that we're discussing here. Insurance companies sell their "total losses" and states compel the re-registration of those "total losses" by providing the means of inspections and recertification.

I agree it's likely I won't get FSD but I'm circling around to find some logical path to getting it. Maybe Rudy Guliani could help.

Thanks for that info. I keep going round and round on the logic flow on the insurance company bit. For example, they did pay the owner for the car but at the same time

Nope, there is no same time.

They reimbursed the original owner for the value of the total loss on the car, FSD included.

A salvage tesla sold to an auction house wasn't sold 'with FSD' any more than it was sold with the original powertrain warranty it also doesn't have, it was sold as-is.

Likewise I bet there's nothing on your receipt from the auction lot promising your purchase includes FSD.

(if it does then you'd need to go after the auction house, not Tesla, for that).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H