TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Teslive without a Tesla?

Discussion in 'TMC Connect' started by Majerus, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Majerus

Majerus Member

Is anyone attending the event who does not own a Tesla ?

2. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Yes! I'm a lowly Volt owner.

TEG will also be there and he drives a LEAF.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The more the merrier! It's one big EV family anyway.

4. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Ha! Glad you asked, and I know I'm not the only one. I own a place in line for something they don't yet make. Not really a 'sedan' guy. There are big road condition signs over the freeways here. Thru the winter, they very often display "Chains/4WD Required Cottonwood Canyons" What that sign says to me is "Get an AWD Model X!!!" (Snowbird and Alta are at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon :cool:)

I have always owned some big 4wheeler, usually a pickup for utility, AND a little 4banger econo commuter car to try to make up on the gas mileage where/when I can. Man, am I sick of buying gasoline! We brought the 5th LEAF into Utah ourselves a year and a half ago. Now I see one or two every day. That's wife's commuter. I am one of the people that Tesla has ADDED to the high-end car market. Would not have entertained for a moment the thought of $90k or so for a car before now. In fact, my Model X will cost slightly more than ALL the cars I have EVER bought in my life, combined!(not counting wife's cars). I actually did the math. The old Toyota my dad gave me that lasted 10+ years brought down the average!

Which brings up . . . An impromptu Teslive contest: Who Brings the Crappiest Car to Teslive ?!? I think I could be a contender, possibly over many years: 'crappiest car so far' year over year. Rules? IDK, except to win, you must be the owner, unless rentals should count.? I've been in some pretty terrible rental cars too! :smile: ML

5. olanmills

olanmills Member

Well I'm flying in and renting a car, and I'm contemplating renting the cheapest car available. I still haven't decided yet, so I might be a contender for crappiest car, if that counts. Though on the other hand, even though the cheap rentals can be "crappy" cars, they're still usually a relatively new model year.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Me. I mostly ride a bike.

7. justduckyangie

We own a Model S, but coming from IL we will be arriving without it. My husband is jealous of my model S, so he's on the X waiting list :biggrin: We are spending a few days in San Fran before hand and found a Green EV/Hybrid car service to us drive down... Very cool!

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. My wife (who is not an auto enthusiast to say the least) asked if it were possible to rent an EV because she thought it might look peculiar showing up in an ICE to an EV event. Long story that I won't get into here, but I'm actually flying in to LAX and driving up.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I too will be flying and renting a car. No matter what I ask for I usually get a pile o' crap. (My last rental was a Ford Escape - after a few hours in that thing I really wanted to Escape it!)

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I plan on bringing my "good" camera. As long as the non Teslas don't ruin my pictures of rows of gleaming Rs and Ss. :)

11. MikeL

MikeL some guy

I'll park it in the irrigation ditch behind the weeds if I have to. It's not really so bad tho. Has a few traits I enjoy. I never worry a bit about where I leave it, get 35+ish mpg, the AC works nicely. Like a great many 'modern' cars, it is not encumbered by 'extras' such as sound insulation or good, quality design/engineering! My son actually drove it a lot thru his teen years, and didn't crash it, which is better than I can report about the unfortunate cars that I had at his age.

I suppose decades of extreme frugality, at least when it comes to cars, has led me to a place where I can -and REALLY want to- get myself a Tesla. ML